damage policy in markham area...

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Renkinjutsushi, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Renkinjutsushi

Renkinjutsushi Regular Member

hi, i'm restringing my racquet at Lee's Badminton for my third time, and finally i noticed on the stub of your receipt (when leaving a racquet to be restrung) says "lee's badminton is not responsible for damages to your racquet" :eek: .... so i was wondering if anybody knows the policies of Mandarin's and YO's? i'm worrying about this because my friend's racquet was broken when SportChek's stringing machine collapsed and broke her racquet, but at least they have a policy of returning an equal or LESS value (yes, this sux...:( ) racquet... they actually ordered it from places to owe her a racuqet (it was lesser value cuz her was the top model of the series and they couldn't find it:mad: )... so i'm worrying if it happens in other places, which may or may not have a nicer policy.... currently i'm know the policy of Lee's, now i'm wondering about YO's and Mandarin's....:confused:

2. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

There's a place in toronto at jane/bloor called Brown's Sports cycle and they dont have any policy about not replacing ur racket if they break it in the process of stringing

3. Renkinjutsushi

so does that mean that they DO have a policy about replacing our racquest if they break them? if so, what is it? (ie. equal or lesser value):confused:
    the double negative in your statement doesn't actually confirm if there IS a policy

4. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

What i'm saying is that they might replace it if they break ur racket..sorry about the confusion :rolleyes:

5. Renkinjutsushi

ty:) hm... "might" ? you should check it yourself just in case, becuase i thought even Lee's would be more responsible since they have their reputation on the line... i just think it's better to check the policies just in case how i assumed Lee's policy

6. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Oh crap lol, now I'll have to reconsider stringing at lee's...

Stringing at lee's will have a bigger chance of breaking your racquet comparing to Yo's.
    Mainly because those people are so busy they're probably rushing through racquets.:eek:

7. Renkinjutsushi

yeah i agree, someone else also mentioned that before :rolleyes: but i'm trying to check out Yo's policy as well, even though my friends say the tension gets loose really quick :( i'm still waiting for a reply about Brown's written policy and Mandarin's email reply.... i'll update what i found when i know :)

8. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Then my hopes for a quality stringing service would be mandarin....

Since Yo's have bad comments , and Lee's with the policy.....

And I wouldn't go all the way downtown for strings..... lol.

9. Renkinjutsushi

yeah i agree :) .... but until i get Mandarin's reply or go there myself, i'll stick with Lee's since they have their reputation on the line :p

in addition to sportchek, my friend said they tie the knots differently and lose tension quickly.

10. Ricearonie

Ricearonie Regular Member

another option is to get your racquets strung at Winning Cycle (at midland and sheppard), i've pretty much been going to this person all the time since he's closer to me. the cons i have seen so far is that he doesn't have much selection in string and the tension drops faster than Yo's.

11. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Policies?

Folks,

In reading all this here, you may want to do searches to see answers in the past and you will find reasons for why the Lee's policy exist in a 2-3 year old thread. I don't want to bring this up again because you can find it and read all about it yourself.

As for racquet policies, I believe that most companies including Yo's and Winning Cycle would inspect the racquets first before accepting to re-string them. To the best of my knowledge, there has not been one incident where the racquet has snapped/broken during re-stringing.

In terms of price, they are all pretty much the same, however, the person that does the stringing at the clubs might not be a qualified professional as I have seen fellow players string the racquets for the club....thus, you might be better off to save money and offer those members to string them for you directly instead of paying the club who in turn gives it to the member to string.

In terms of losing tension, it's all about the type of string that you are going to use on the racquet. Where it has been strung should not be an issue that will affect how fast the tension is lost. What WILL affect is if the racquet has not been strung to the tension that you thought you were getting and when it loses tension, it becomes a trampoline. IE. A friend of mine recently strung their racquet at a requested 22 lbs which turned out to be just a tad over 18 lbs. at best...play with that for a bit and you would think that it lost tension quickly when in reality, the tension was never that high to begin with.

12. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Can you give me a little bit of detail about Winning Cycle? Like pricing and quality. Also, a comparison to Yo's would be great.

Thanks

13. Ricearonie

price to get it strung with BG65 is about the same with Yo's give or take $1 (with strings) but Winning Cycle doesn't have much selection in terms of strings like Yo's, so what i usually do is get my strings at Yo's and get it strung at Winning Cycle, it might cost a bit more but the thing is that Winning Cycle could probably string your racquet and return it the same day which is the only thing i like b/c i travel back to hamilton for school. as for quality of the job i personally think it loses tension faster. my Ti 5 strung at Yo's (black BG65) @24 still feels like 24 (granted i don't play with it that often) and my AT 700 strung at Winning Cycle (BG 66) @23 feels like its at 21 now (less than a month, granted there are different playing conditions)

hope that helps

www.winningbadminton.com

14. Renkinjutsushi

would you be be able to paste the link to the Lee's policy thread here ?
    and as for the breaking racquets, they DO inspect your racquet before accepting to restring them in case they do break the racquet.
    and i have mentioned before, there has been an incident where the racuqet has snapped/broken during the re-stringing, i dont mind recalling it right now as i have the time to type it up...
    the racquet didn't snap, but the machine at sportschek "collapsed" (that's the word they used) which broke the racquet with it, luckily for my friend they had a policy to get her an equal or less value racquet back, UNluckily they couldn't find her model (she said it was the highest ISO racquet, not like the 900s or w/e, but like the isometric 75 and so forth) anyways... yeah, they tried calling up other retailers and places and none of the markham places had it (ie. lee's and mandarin's) and in the end they ordered the next best Iso... think it was the 75... it's orange and black :confused:
    anyways yeah... here's the first incident you now know about how a racquet broke when getting restrung, the concern i started this thread is about the other more well known restringers because i recently noticed that Lee's restringing stub/receipt says they aren't responsible for breaking racquets like SportChek and now i'm asking about the other places such as YO's and mandarin's and brown's....

as for the losing tension racquets.... my friends just SAY they lose the tension quickly, but for sportchek, i know they (or maybe just the sportcheks in mississauga) tie the knots differently and that could affect how tight the strings stay. and i'm sure people check the initial tension right after restringing (ie. touching/bouncing it) and notices the difference earlier later on.

15. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

I think you are mis-reading my reply. I meant that there is a story and complete thread of why Lee's and possibly other places put this disclaimer at the bottom due to past events that occured. To sum it up, someone on this forum bought a fake racquet and brought it to Lee's to get it re-strung. The racquet broke and the person complained but Lee's said that it broke because the model was a fake racquet. The person claimed that the racquet was purchased from someone who got real racquets from the plants in China that manufactured them for Yonex....alot of bs'ing here if you ask me, but you can see find these threads if you do a search on it for the full story and replies.

In terms of the racquet collapse, that occured at Sportchek which I personally wouldn't go myself to get my racquets re-strung as they're a jack of all trades and would rather trust a person whose ONLY business is badminton/tennis. I think that the possibility of the racquet breaking at the places that you mentioned above are small considering that they inspect the racquet prior to stringing, and then check with on desired tension but I don't think any of them have a racquet return policy that i'm aware of.

16. Renkinjutsushi

i think you are mis-reading my reply now... i basically asked for a link to the thread you were referring to with no connection to waht i said about the breaking racquet, the stuff i talked about the breaking racquet is in response to another section of your previous post...

as for going to sportchek, it's the only restringing place near my location if you hadn't noticed... also, the only other reason why someone would get their racquet restrung at sportchek is because they actually have a policy... i'm sure they check the authenticity and the rest of the bit.... "I don't think any of them have a racquet return policy that i'm aware of" .... that is why i'm trying to get some confirmation/written policies of the other places such as Browns, YO's, Mandarin's....

17. Ricearonie

in my opinion even if sports chek has a policy i would still avoid them since it was stated early that they are a "jack of all trades". and since you are in sauga see if there are any members that you play with that does stringing on the side (i would trust them rather than sports chek). even though Yo's and Lee's etc is quite the distance from you i think its still worth the drive/bus up there to get it done the right way. as for worrying about your racquet being damaged, unless you're stringing it at 26+ or something crazy like that you shouldn't worry much. i recall Yo examining over my racquet and stated that it is recommended not to be strung over x lbs so you're taking the risk, so far so good :)

18. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

If you want to read it just do a search in the Market Place forum and you should find it easily with "lee" as the subject. Too lazy to search for it for you but this occured about 3-4 years ago so look for a thread with those dates.

Like the poster above mentioned, unless you have a low-end ISO racquet and request it to be strung at an unreasonable tension (say 22lb.+), it really shouldn't be a problem for you. If you have a AT800 or something like that, then the higher tensions wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, there is almost no chance of racquet breakage with the exception of your friend at Sportchek. It's best you call and ask them them but personally, I'm never even looked into this myself and I've got all my AT800's strung at Yo's along with my other racquets in the past.

19. seejayohh

seejayohh New Member

I also use Winning Cycle for all my badminton stringing. Diamond (owner) provides excellent service, and many times you can get the racquet back the same day! :) Pricing is also very reasonable/competitive with other outfits.

20. Renkinjutsushi

i'm not afraid of my racquet breaking under too much tension, but if the machine somehow collapsed as i have mentioned, that chances of that are sooooo slim, but now i know it actually CAN happen.... as the for the search for Lee's, i have tried... and failed, but it might be my browser or something cuz the search through forums for me haven't always been successful and yet i stumble on something that i had searched for every once in a while.

also, a few people at my club DO do stringing, but they dont string others' cuz they dont wanna break it and be forced to owe others. i wouldn't choose sportchek unless i have to, but i relaly dont want to cuz of the many reasons i mentioned in previous posts