Korean Doubles April 10 in Calgary

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by not4u, Mar 26, 2005.

1. not4u

not4u Regular Member

Leafy foliage removal technician
    Not sure if anybody has mentioned this but the 2004 Olympic Silver Medal Koreans doubles pair will be playing at the Calgary Winter Club on Sunday April 10 at 2 pm

It's going to be pretty cool to watch and I think it's open to the public too. Tix are $ 15 ea or $ 10 for juniors.

They'll be playing some doubles first, then some mixed doubles and each of them will partner with Jody Patrick and Milaine Cloutier and then some more doubles after that. Not sure yet who will play mens doubles for Canada.

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    No one has mentioned it AFAIK. Do you mean Lee Dong soo and Yoo yong sung (sorry for spelling)?

If so sounds good!

Why are they there? are they moving their, have they been paid by canadian Badminton association? or other reason?

3. not4u

not4u Regular Member

Yes it is them !

It's combined with a training session that they are there for the week for the badminton program. I believe it is organised by the pro at the winterclub.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I attended this exhibition on sunday. It's comprised of 3 games of 21 points each:

MD: korean vs canada (21-11)
    XD: korean paired up with canadian lady players, jody patrick and milaine coultier (spelling off top of head) (21-18??)
    MD: lee dong soo & bryan moody versus yoo yong sung & justin mullaly (18??-21)

It was quite fun to watch and yoo yong sung is quite a showman.

The korean pair also conduct clinics this week and couple days next week. They brought their family over too. Too bad they have to rush back home to participate in the samsung open or else they would have stay longer and try out skiing.

Lee dong soo made one incredible trick shot that got the 300+_ people there roaring and clapping ( a shot that i have never seen done successfully before and in real life and at high level). There were 3 camcorders set up taping (not official but by local fans)

#4 cooler, Apr 10, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  5. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Do you know was one of the camcorders set up by Vigor Media? The same group who taped the Revolution Cup last last year?

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i only know owner of 1 of the 3 camcorders and it isnt vigor.

7. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Can you elaborate on the trick shot?

8. not4u

not4u Regular Member

I saw it too. It was in the mixed game.

Lee Dong (the taller right hander) was standing very close to the front, almost at the service line looking for a kill shot to end the rally when the left hand guy cleared one over his head.

He went running towards the wall (facing the wall), jumped up pretty high doing the splits pretty much on the back line of the court on his side .... while doing the splits he hit the shuttle between his legs hard and strong enough to propel it back over the head of the other korean player totally surprising him as he was moving in for what should have been an impossible shot to get much past mid-court on the other side.

It landed as a winner on the other side at the very back and everyone gasped, and then clapped at such an amazing shot.

I would have to say, it was the most entertaining badminton I've witnessed live for the last few years. Way better than the Revolution Cup last June which featured Kenneth Jonassen, Peter Rasmusen, Niels Kaldu, Marleve Maniki and others playing singles.

Attendance was about 320 to 350 which filled almost every seat available.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

thanks for your narration not4u.
    Just a small clarification base on my observation, the jump split clear by leedongsoo surprised both opposing players(yooyongsung + milaine cloutier) that they were caught readying for a kill shot but instead have to back track slightly off footed and one try to smash to the open court (yooyongsung's side) but hit the net instead.

it is doable in tennis and badminton of hitting softly between the legs (back facing net) but doing a deep clear with a big jump in the air is and body speedily moving toward the rear corner is much much harder.

#9 cooler, Apr 16, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2005