Bird stuck at net

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Rene Kuil, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Rene Kuil

Rene Kuil Regular Member

Student
    I've seen some threads about this topic, but it still isn't clear to me.
    I was playing last friday and it happend: I hit the bird, the bird hit the top of the net, fell over a tiny bit and got stuck into the net just a little bit on the opponent's site.
    The bird stayed there for over 30 seconds.
    In a previous thread viver vbmenu_register("postmenu_17233", true); said this: You can find this under Let in badminton rules on the main page:
    14.3 If a shuttle is caught on the net and remains suspended on top or, after passing over the net, is caught in the net, it is a 'let' except on service.

My coach totally disagreed to this and he was absolutely certain that I made a fault. I wasn't able to get the bird on the floor on the opponent's site, so I made a fault. This was his opinion. I searched the internet and came acros this:

At the website: http://www.worldbadminton.com under laws:
    It is a "fault":
    15.4 If in play, the shuttle: Fails to pass the net

In my situation you could say that the bird "technically" did not pass the net.
    Still i think my coach was wrong.
    What are your opinions/experiences?
    And if I was right, how can I convince my coach?

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    My opinion is that you are correct; your coach is not. I don't believe that there is anything in the rules that says the shuttle must contact the floor to score a point. Suppose that you hit your opponent & it gets stuck on their hair or their clothes & never hits the floor.

Technically the shuttle passed the net... it completely broke the 'plane' of the net. The fact that it got caught in the net as it was tumbling down the other side does not negate the fact that it broke the plane.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    On second thought, I take that back... it is a let; rule 14.3 applies. Rule 15.4 doesn't apply since it actually passed over the net as I described above.

Guess I experienced a temporary brain cloud on the previous post.

#3 SystemicAnomaly, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  4. Rene Kuil

Rene Kuil Regular Member

Student
    lol, well thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to my coach's reaction. He's kinda headstrong.:D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Your shuttle has passed the net, ie, crossed over to the other side although it was caught in the net and did not drop on your opponent's court.

Viver is absolutely correct. You are correct also and should be entitled to a replay or a 'let'. Your coach needs to update himself on the Laws of Badminton and you should refer him to that particular rule that Viver has indicated.

Continue to enjoy your badminton. :)

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Show him the appropriate rule in the Rule Book. The reason why it would be a let is that if the shuttle has continue to drop after hitting AND passing the net, your opponent theorically can still make a return but because the shuttle never did drop and thus allow your opponent the opportunity to do a return, it is a let. :)