Coach Kim Hock gives Wan Wah a chance to feature in world meet

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by ants, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    PETALING JAYA: Senior doubles shuttler Lee Wan Wah has not seen action since the Athens Olympics last August because of a knee injury.

But national chief coach Yap Kim Hock is still keeping the door open for Wan Wah to prove himself in a bid to compete in the World Championships in Los Angeles in August.

The 30-year-old Wan Wah, who has undergone rehabilitation for seven months, will report for full-time training on April 11.

He may feature in the Kedah Open from April 21-24 together with his regular partner, Choong Tan Fook.

And he has also been confirmed for participation in the Singapore Open (June 27 - July 3) and Malaysian Open (July 5-10).

Kim Hock said that it was only fair to give Wan Wah a chance to prove himself.

“Despite the long layoff, the Wan Wah-Tan Fook partnership is still ranked 17th in the world. We hope that they will not drift out of the top 24 when the qualifying period for the world championships ends in May,†said Kim Hock.

Malaysia can send a maximum of three pairs if all of them are among the top 24 based on the May 19 world rankings.

If there are more pairs in the top 24, Kim Hock will then have the luxury to name three pairs of his choice.

The current top five Malaysian pairs in the world rankings are Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock (12th), Tan Fook-Wan Wah (17th), Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui (18th), Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat (20th) and Chew Choon Eng-Tan Fook (32nd).

Kim Hock said that he would gauge Wan Wah's performances in the two international Open tournaments before making a decision.

“My priority is to name pairs who have a shot at winning the world title.

“The qualifying period end on May 19 but I can submit the names for the world meet by July. This will give me time to assess Wan Wah's performances with Tan Fook,†he said.

RARING TO GO: National coach Yap Kim Hock is willing to let Lee Wan Wah fight for a place in the national team that is going to the world championships after his return from a seven-month rehabilitation programme for a knee injury.

“He (Wan Wah) is more experienced and his past records (prior to the Athens Games) have been good. But I will consider the youngsters if Wan Wah cannot reproduce the same form when he makes a comeback in the international tournaments in Singapore and Malaysia.â€

Kim Hock said that he would not have even considered Wan Wah if the current set of players were performing well.

There were no outstanding performances from the doubles department in the first four Open tournaments of the year – in South Korea (Jan), Germany (Feb), England (March) and Switzerland (March).

The doubles players, however, have a chance to make amends in the last two tournaments before the end of the world championships' qualifying period. They will feature in the Thai Open starting on Wednesday and in the Japan Open next week.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This is a gamble or i would rather a leap of faith for the coach towards Lee Wah Wah..
    I hope LWW will do well in the Open before the World Championship.

3. happy go lucky

happy go lucky Regular Member

Take this gamble, go LWW

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree. Chew Chun Eng is also very experienced. I think it is time for objectivity and merit. The younger players need their chance to develop and prepare for the winning the world championships....not this year, but the next.

If the LWW/CTF partnership does not work out, then the chance for the CCE/CTF partnershiip to get points is lost. I wonder if this 2nd partnership is not working out as well as hoped?

5. meeya

meeya Regular Member

It does not appear to be going well since they have been eliminated in the early rounds in the tournaments that they have joined. Hopefully, LWW will able to regain his previous form right away.

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    First of all, can Choong Tan Fook be in the top 24?

Choong/Lee are ranked 17 at the moment. Their points are from 5 tournaments. But at the cut-off point in mid-May, they will have only 2 tournaments, and they will very likely not be in the top 24. Yap Kim Hock should have looked into this before making his comments.

Choong/Chew are ranked 30 right now, with 5 tournaments. I think they can get into the top 24 after the Thai and Japan Opens, and the Sudirman Cup.

Other pairs
    #12 Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock
    #18 Lin Woon Fui/Fairuz
    #20 Chan Chong Ming/Koo Kien Keat

If it was up to me, I will select Choong/Chew and Chan/Koo. As for the third one, I will consider their form at that time.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maybe Yap Kim Hock's advisors did not help him out. It certainly is a very important point to take into account.

8. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Based on latest world ranking, Tan Fook- Wan Wah are just one place outside the top 24. Is Wan Wah playing in the sudirman cup anyway?? and Tan Fook??

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  11. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Wan Wah and Tan Fook is ranked 26th now. So they are not going to feature in WC2005 isit?

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    They won't unless there is any "surprise-rule" I can't remember of...