How to Increase power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by debbie, Mar 28, 2005.

1. debbie

debbie New Member

I know, I know... as a beginner we aren't expected to have powerful shots but the thing is, I have trouble hitting the ball with a modest amount of force.. i.e. past the middle of the opposite court... my coach teases me that I have no inner angst with which to fuel my shots... any suggestions from the lady players out there?? :p One thought for me is to just play and play and play til I get the hang of it... still, I would appreciate your tips so I can play SMARTER as well as harder. :D

Thanks y'all....

2. Dawnmoon

Dawnmoon Regular Member

I think we shall improve our wrist power...:)

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I think it's because you're trying to "muscle" the shot, instead of utilizing your body (trunk) muscles. It's awkward, at this stage, to coordinate the technique, but pays off in the long run. Tell your coach you're starting to build up inner anger, unless he shows you the correct hitting form.

-dave

4. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Well ... I forgot who said this , I think it was Gollum , that IF
    strength x technique = 1000 (power)

Then if you don't have much strength ...
    i/e 20 strength x technique = 1000
    then you'll require a better technique .

I don't have much strength ... so what I did was to try and improve my technique more and that really helped to increase my power . I hope I've helped ...

5. Greasemonkey

Greasemonkey Regular Member

R.E Estate Full-Time and Part Time Computer Dood
    When I was in high school I was 110lb 5'7" and I was able to smash and clear the birdie just has hard and as fast as anyone else in our Division. One of the reason for that is I had to learn to not be square up to the birdie when I hit it, but be side way and follow through my shot. When I make contact with the birdie, it is not just with my hand elbow and wrist, but with the turning of my body as well. It is the moving forward motions that help me put more power to my smash and clear, and it's a good habit for me cause it put me in motions to be in positions.

6. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    Better technique and proper grip

Magandang umaga po (TRANS: Good morning)

Ask your coach/trainer to check your technique and grip... that's what you're paying him/her for. (or is he/she a coach at school? :) ) If you're trying to "muscle" the shots you'll notice pains in your shoulder after your badminton session.

Using your anger to "fuel" your shots does not make sense to me. I like to be calm when hitting the shuttlecock. When I'm calm I can see even a fast smash and defend well, I can also generate more power.

HTH

7. mustang

mustang Regular Member

I couldn't agree more. Following through with your stroke and turning your body as you hit the shuttlecock is very important. It is analogous to serving in tennis.

8. debbie

debbie New Member

Thanks for all the tips.. I was kidding, and I'm sure my coach was, about the inner angst and "fuel" for shots... :D I am definitely out of school... when I decided to take up badminton after I gave birth 10 months ago:)rolleyes:) , I wanted to have a good start.. i.e. since I started from scratch, having no racket sport experience, I wanted a pro to teach me the basics so that I wouldn't develop any "bad habits".. a lot of my friends had injuries and i didn't want to be part of the limping, moaning bandwagon... : ) So far so good... I just like to get as many tips as possible and sift thru these for those I can work with...

Thanks again...

debbie

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  10. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Greasemonkey is right. I always try to muscle my shots and leads me to elbow injury :crying:
    Now I'm changing my technique to save my elbow :p