Confused about string tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Islander, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Islander

Islander Regular Member

As a beginner, from what I've been able to understand from research on the internet and in here, is that rackets strung at lower tension ie; 18-20 lbs, generate more power (bird speed) but less control when striking a bird, than a racket strung at 28-30 lbs which is for greater control but less power. First of all is that correct, and second, if so, why do ppl in here always seem to be looking to string at the higher tensions. Is it because control is more important than power, which comes from improved technique rather than string tension, at the intermediate and advanced levels.
    Should a beginner string their racket at 18-20 lb range for deeper clears and a little power or the higher range for more control but eat a few more birds due to weak clears. :eek:

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I would suggest that you start off at the 20/22 range and as you get more consistent and able to generate most of your power from your strokes, then you can restring your racquet(s) to the 22/24 range.

Remember, it's easier to restring then to hurt yourself from utilizing higher tension if your strokes are incorrect. As you find yourself relying more on your control shots to win games (rather than power shots), you will benefit more from having higher tension (for the control) string bed.

Check out Steve Crandall's articles (Ashaway) on badminton strings/tensions http://www.ashawayusa.com/pages/BadTipINDEX.html

3. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Get good string.

I recommend stringing at 25lbs. Good for all around play, you'll get use to the tension and the sound of the bird hitting the racket. I only string tighter for tournaments.:eek:

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    I agree with Win Wex Can... especially if you're only starting, you should string your racket at something like 18-20lb.. that way, you'll get enough power even on off center hits, and you can train your technique better. if you start off with a high tension (even something like 24lb) you might hurt yourself because of lack of technique, and you'll notice lack of power in your shots (then blame it on ur racket or somethin :p ) ... when you have the right techniques, move up in tension and experiment to find the right tension for you. hope it helps.. good luck :)

5. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

You can also try more repulsive strings as well. Among them are BG68Ti, BG80, BG85, BG66, BG88Ti. This might a temporary solution if you lack power.

When you start to hit the shuttle hard, then you can revert back to the more durable type of string. These generally have less repulsion, but in my opinion, too much repulsion can be bad for delicate shots.

6. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    maybe i haven't tried enough strings at different tensions.. but i had my MP 55 strung with BG 68-Ti some 2.5 years ago (and lasted till recently when i cut it :p ) at a tension i believe was something like 24lb (its probably way less now).. and i got it restrung with BG 65 at 24lb.. and i dont feel that big of a difference.. maybe the old string was feeling a little dead.. but not that big of a difference.. =/ can anyone explain why? and how big of a difference in feel are between the strings?