Badminton in central london

Discussion in 'UK' started by Martin, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin New Member

Any places to play around Canary Wharf?

Hi!

Does anybody know places to play close to Canary Wharf, East London?
    We are three players who are keen to get back into it and do not mind to play with/against others as well.
    Any ideas? Any interest?

Many thanks,

Martin

2. ChrisA

ChrisA New Member

Badminton in Southwark

Used to play a lot but haven't in years and keen to get back into it. Am based in Canada Water (1 stop from Canary Wharf) and the 7 islands LEisure centre is 1 minute from Tube and has courts. Am keen to meet up and get some games going!

chris

3. meyrickcheung

meyrickcheung New Member

Hi, I live on the isle of Dogs and would like to meet other players in the same area to play badminton with.
    I go to the gym at Crossharbour and I can bring in 3 guests for free on a friday.
    They only have a single badminton court there and sometimes it can be quite busy.
    Anyway, if you guys know of other places to play badminton or simply just wanna use the gym on a friday, just send me a msg. If you have msn , I'm at meyrick_cheung@hotmail.com

4. meyrickcheung

meyrickcheung New Member

I'm thinking of getting together a group of ppl to play badminton socially couple of evenings per week in central London. Found some courts near Marble Arch.
    Playing socially so all levels are welcomed.
    So if you are interested pls leave a msg ...... hopefully enough ppl would be interested and then this can be turned into a weekly event.

Also pls pass on ths message to anyone who might be interested too.

Thanks
    M

5. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Post your updates here!

6. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    i wanna play, how much r da courts ph? :)

7. ahkleung

ahkleung Regular Member

Hugely interested. I live in Canary Wharf too, and I am keen to play some badminton nearby.

8. CelsoBr

CelsoBr Regular Member

Badminton

Where could we play in Canary Wharf or nearby?

9. ken711129

ken711129 Regular Member

Hi every1,
    I'm new to this 4rum. Just heard some1 talkin 'bout court in cen'London. I play every friday(20pm-22pm) at Elephant&Castle Fusion centre or sunday (13pm-26pm) same place. If ne1's interested, gimme a shout. Money ? not much, fun and health are more important. For people who play good, i suggest the sunday one, its better, private club. Email me at bobbyken_mike@yahoo.com

10. niamh

niamh New Member

Hi Martin,

Just new to this message board and am looking for reasonable level badminton club or partners/partner (mixed/doubles preferably) to play socially. I was playing at a club near Victoria on until Christmas but their Friday evenings slot doesn't suit me. Would v. much like to play in or around Canary Wharf.

The Peak Fitness Centre near Crossharbour DLR, a few minutes from Canary Wharf, has one court, as I think someone has already mentioned in this thread. I understand that non-members can book it in advance for about a tenner but that it can get pretty booked out. If anyone knows of any badminton clubs around Canary Wharf/Canada Water/Greenwich that are easily accessible from the tube/DLR and not too serious would much appreciate their contact info.

Cheers,
    Niamh.

11. niamh

niamh New Member

Hi ahkleung, meyrickcheung - also v. interested if this offer is still going! I also live in Canary Wharf and play at a reasonable level.

#11 niamh, May 11, 2005
    Last edited: May 11, 2005
  12. Martin

Martin New Member

Hi Niamh & ChrisA,

I was just now that I had time to notice the positeve answers.
    Since I would like to see both courts it would be great to get more info before I go there.
    (prices, conditions, etc.)
    If you would like to meet and play as well please send me an email directly to
    martinuwegruenanger@hotmail.com
    since I do not check this platform regulary.

If anybody else has other ideas or wants to play just let me know as well.

Thanks,

Martin

13. ahkleung

ahkleung Regular Member

Hey guys, I have search through the replies and drawn up a list of badminton courts available near canary wharf.

Reebok Sports Club London, Canary Wharf (Address: 16-19 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 Tel: 02079700900 Website: http://www.reeboksportsclublondon.com/)

Peak Fitness, Crossharbour (Address: 36 Lime Harbour, Docklands, London E14 Tel: 02075158940)

Waterfront Leisure Cente, Greenwich (Address: High Street, Woolwich SE18 Tel: 02083175000 Website:http://www.gll.org/borough/centre.asp?CategoryID=101)

Seven Islands Leisure Centre, Canada Water (Address: 100 Lower Road, London, SE16 Tel: 02072373296 Website: http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/seven/submain.htm)

If we have around 6 ppl interested in coming regularly, then we can book a court on one of these venues and start playing !

Can we have a quick show of hands for those really interested please !!?

Another possibilities I have found is joining a session at Bacons College as mentioned in this post:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9704&page=2&pp=18

#13 ahkleung, May 18, 2005
    Last edited: May 18, 2005
  14. dmwg40

dmwg40 Regular Member

are you sure it has courts theer i phoned and they didnt do badminton in the evening or did i get the foolw ho knew nothing on the end of the phone ?

15. fxsion

fxsion Regular Member

Hi Martin,
    Please contact me on fxperera@hotmail.com . We have a club in Leyton. You can come and play on Fridays.
    Francis.

16. fxsion

fxsion Regular Member

Hi we have a club in leyton contact fxperera@hotmail.com for more infro.
    Francis.

17. jezr9

jezr9 New Member

admin clerk
    have u found a place/players ???

i just signed-in to the website / i used to play lawn tennis back home but due to the weather here in london, i was planning to shift to indoor sports like badminton / if u r still looking for a place and a playing partner, there are 2 reasonable courts here in langdon park near my place / i'm not a beginner but i can be competitive ??? contact me on jezr9@yahoo.com

18. RickFury

RickFury Regular Member

Hi I just joined today and like everyone else I am looking to play some badminton in the central london area. I'm a very rusty intermediate. and would prefer evenings during the week.

19. fxsion

fxsion Regular Member

badminton

Hi Rick,
    Please contact me on fxperera@hotmail.com for infro, as we play in a club in Leyton East London. We play on every friday so get amove on
    See you,
    Francis.

20. banzaidrew

banzaidrew New Member

Hi,

Im not sure if anyone still lots at this thread, but I live in the Isle of Dogs and am looking to get back into playing badminton again. I havent played since moving to london last year, but I used to be about intermediate level and would like to dust off the cobwebs.

If anyone is still playing around this area please leave a msg or email/msn me @ drewellershaw239@hotmail.com

Ta
    :)