EAGNAS ST200 High Tension Stringing?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pointfore.Ca, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Hi folks,

I recently purchased a ST200 from Eagnas and I've had a few problems with it so far. They weren't able to help me out online so I'm hoping that people who have this machine may be able to help me out.

I've strung many many racquets on different machines and the problem I'm having with the ST200 is that the side supports don't seem to be supporting the racquet at all from distortion at higher tensions (26 lbs). I even managed to crack one of my own frames because of this and damage another at the 12 o'clock position!

The side supports clamp down on the racquet but the arms are not long enough to support where the racquet would be the weakest while stringing it.

Does anyone have any advice or the same problem?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Did you calibrate your machine. Engnas is known for 5 lb over the real tension.

3. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    Yup I bought the calibrator from Eagnas as well and it's at the correct tension. For the racquets that I were able to get strung, they felt "correct" as well.

4. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    :(
    i'm looking at the st-200. I was hoping it would be a fool proof machine.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What do you mean by "the arms are not long enough to support where the racquet would be the weakest.."? The damage at the 12 o'clock position could be due to improper stretching of the adjustable head support. When you over-stretch, you are collapsing the inner side of the racquet head. Remember, this is not a hold-down machine. It is a suspension machine where the head and throat mounts do not have a role in securing the racquet properly. At which spot did the other racquet crack? It would be helpful if you could re-collect which string you were pulling and tensioning at the time of the crack. Also did you check and re-tighten the 4 side supports after tensioning each cross string? How tight did you tighten the 4 side supports? How do you reconcile the contradiction posed by the jagged clamps of the side supports and securing the tightest clamping that would preclude any racquet moving sideways?
    The Eagnas ST200 side supports do not operate like V-shaped side supports that prevent any outward, but not inward, distortion of the frame. It works by tightly clamping down the 4 corners, preventing both outward as well as inward distortion. A strong pull of the cross string will easily loosen the side supports if they are not securely tightened. Once loosened, even if happens to only one of the four side supports is enough to do the damage. :D

6. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller

Hi Taneepak,

Thanks for the feedback!

To answer your question the racquet that I broke happened when I was tensioning the main strings. It would have been close to one of the edges before the racquet broke at the 9 o'clock position. There was obvious racquet distortion while I was doing this unfortunately and tightening the side supports did not seem to help.

I realize that the head mount could damage the frame if done too tightly so I did try to have it sit rather than tightened onto the frame for another racquet. However whenever I use the side-clamps to tighten the racquet, it has also caused the paint to strip off the racquet! This would have been the case on my first racquet after making sure the frame does not move. There was still some distortion in the frame though at the 9 and 3 o'clock position.

Has anyone had the same problem? Or if they have not could you explain what you do to prevent this from happening without damaging the racquet?

7. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    did you calibrate the calibrator? seems tedious but it should be calibrated. To do this just take an known weight, like an olympic weight and just hang it. Just suggesting an extra precaution =)

8. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    Yes I calibrated the calibrator by checking another stringing machine that I have which was calibrated properly. That's a lot of calibrating! :)

9. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    Hi Pointfore.Ca,

I wonder how much you paid for the machine. I am think about getting a string machine as well. Other than ST-200, have you tried any other machine. I need some recommendation. Thanks!

10. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    I'm sure if you read the other posts in this forum you can see the different recommendations. I've personally used 2 different machines but both have their flaws for badminton racquets. I'd suggest checking out those sticky's in the forum for the best recommendations.

I've spent anywhere from $600-800 CAD on my machines.

11. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

It costs US$279. See this link:
    http://eagnas.com/maxgen/cmst200.html

12. SteveStanley

taneepak,

Could you explain the step-by-step procedure for stringing the rackets in high tension, perhaps using ST-200 or similar machine? I really appreciate it. Thanks.

13. raketkayu

raketkayu Regular Member

i' m using ST200 eagnas and still follow method from
    http://www.prospeed.com.my/Step.htm
    and can managed to put 26-28lbs. But sometime I had to make 4 knots. :D
    taneepak, i would also like to know if other method would more suitable for high tension. thanks.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I drafted a very comprensive piece on proper use of the Eagnas ST-200 when stringing at very high tensions. Must have taken me 30 mins. But before I could send it, I had to respond to a pm, afterwhich I could not recover it again. I will try again tomorrow, but probably less comprehensive and more specific on how to mount a racquet properly on the Eagnas ST-200 for very high tensions of 30+lbs. :crying: :D

15. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    Thanks for your efforts! I'm sure we'll all look forward to reading your post.

So just to confirm, you don't have any problems with the clamping system on the ST-200 damaging the paint on the frame?

16. SteveStanley

Take your time, we'll be waiting patiently :)

If not too much trouble, would you please post the pictures for each major steps? Many thanks!!!

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The problem is I don't have a computer now after my own notebook computer went kaput. Even now, I can only sneak in to use whilst the owner is having a shower.
    Briefly, your Eagnas ST-200 will have no trouble stringing to 30+lbs. But you will need 4 flying and one starting clamps to fully make use of the high tension this machine is capable of. Also you will need some small rubber or plastic hoses or V-shaped rubber sleeves used on plate glass doors amd some duct tape. These are necessary to convert the 4 side supports into an 8-support system and to prevent chipping or marking of the racquet frame.
    I have to go. :D

18. SteveStanley

I strung my Cab 9 rackets at 29/30 using Eagnas ST-200 and Gosen Super Micro, and both rackets are fine. I didn't do anything special though, I used 2 flying clamps.I really like how it sounds ... ting ... ting ... ting, I need to try it on court tomorrow. :)

19. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    Thanks all for the information and your input. So it would appear that the major problem that I have is mainly because I'm used to using other machines.

The key therefore is to make sure the racquet does not move by securing it firmly enough using the clamps. Is that correct?

20. SteveStanley

Yes, I make sure that all 6 points are secured and the racket doesn't move. That should do it. I'm doing it now on my Ti-8 and later on AT800OF. If there is any problem, I will let you know.