Life of bg66

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by |R|S, Mar 29, 2005.

1. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i've noticed that my bg66 doesnt last as long as last time since yonex changed it's packaging... or is it just me?

i've noticed that after a few session, say 6 sessions of 3 hours each, my strings start to go "stiff", meaning, down the middle the two main (vertical) strings go sideways generating a gap. i need to use my fingers to fix it back.

once this happen, in about two hours more that string will burst...

any ideas why?

2. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i never tried BG 66.. but heres a few questions that people might ask you..

what tension was it strung at?
    what racket were you using?
    what level of play would you rate yourself as?
    do you hit hard?

hope that answering these questions will help others answer your question :)

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    tension is strung at ard 26lbs. i'm using mp99 2ug4, but this is irrelevant coz this string incident happens to me irregardless of what racket i was using.

i rate myself as a low intermediate player. and i do hit very hard.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Maybe thats the reason of the strings life since you hit it very hard. 26lbs is considered medium high tension. Another reason is that.. who is the stringer of your racket?? Same stringer all the time?

5. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    oh yea i forgot to mention the stringer ;)

ants is right, it could be because you hit so hard, plus the tension at 26lb. BG 66 is only 0.66mm i believe.. so its much more fragile than thicker strings such as BG 65. its also possible that its got nothing to do with string/tension/hitting strength.. temperature you store it at, or even bad stringing could lead to short lifespan of the string

6. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    Guys, I believe |R|S is talking about the difference in string life between the new packaged bg66 and old packaged bg66. So unless he changed tension or stringer during the transition from the old to new, those information isn't really relevent.
    However, I do feel a difference between the new packaged strings and older packaged strings. My older bg85 strung at 21lbs kept its tension alot better than the new bg85 strung at 21lbs by the same stringer. Maybe Yonex changed its factory? or their manufacturing process?

7. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    can anyone post pics of the new and old string packages if they dont mind? i haven't seen diff packaging i think.. or i didn't notice :rolleyes:

8. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    #8 sessyargc, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  9. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    Bg-66

I previously had my Cab20TourSP strung with BG-66 @25lbs (single piece stringing method). The BG-66 lasted me approx 5 months. I had to cut it and restring because it has lost its tension (down to approx 20-22lbs).

I think the BG-66 can last being strung at a high tension if your stringer is competent enough.

Probable causes of early string breakage in your case could be:
    1) improper stringing by your stringer
    2) maybe your really a strong smasher
    3) bad grommets!

Regarding the new BG-66 discussion. Are we really sure that they are new (formula, etc) BG-66 not just old batch and repackaged. If it is just repackaged then there should be no difference in performance. Otherwise there is really a problem with the new BG-66.

10. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    BG-66 packaging (one more try)

There are currently 2 BG-66 packaging types.

1) Green pack (1st PHOTO)

2) The colorful pack (this is what I get here in the Philippines) (2nd PHOTO)

And the new BG-66 Sharp packaging (still can not find this localy in the Philippines) (3rd PHOTO)

(Sorry I still don't know how to post pics)

Attached Files:

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Read the specs. BG66 Sharp is a different string than BG66. BG66S has 0.68mm diameter while BG66 is 0.66mm. It should not be counted as different packaging.

BG66 only have two packaging: the old one(green) and the new one (green +blue, as above).

12. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    MY fault for the BG66S. Sorry.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc

At 26lbs your two middle main strings should not move after hitting most shots. If they move most of the time then the stringer did not 'load' the mounted racquet properly at the start of stringing.
    The proper way to 'load' a mounted racquet is to pull and tension the two niddle main strings individually, that is the right middle main string must be pulled and tensioned at the throat end, the left middle main string must be pulled and tensioned at the throat end. Pulling and tensioning only one of the middle strings, even if pulled at the throat end, will not 'load' the mounted racquet. Neither will pulling it at the head end. This requires the use of two fixed clamps, or if you do not have two fixed clamps then you will have to use a starting clamp. Without one of these 2 parts, you simply cannot 'load' a racquet properly. But there are lazy stores that do not follow this procedure, even if they have 2 fixed clamps. Either they are ignorant or plain lazy. :D

14. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    just to clarify, i have no idea why my strings burst, maybe its the new package of bg66, maybe its my stringer.

here are additional informations, i have not changed stringer for a very long time and i believe my grommets are good, the racket is new, only ard 1 month old. room temperature and storage wise, it has been the same for the past 5 years. last time, my strings do not burst, i cut them due to its tension "dissapearing" :p

anybody else noticed any differences since yonex changed its packaging?

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I've tried both pakaging before.. i think its the same. No difference to me. I think you should try change your stringer for a meantime.

16. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have gotten the BG-66 Sharp from Japan in today, and I will let you guys know if there is any major difference between it and regular BG-66 soon.

17. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    yes yes! do that quick!!! hehe

btw, u tried other japan string before? what do you think of them?