Leather and strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ErrBerr, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    My dad went over to Thailand towards the end of last year.. and he came back with my MP100 ;).. haha.. well.. when my dad bought the racket.. it didn't come with stock strings.. so he had to get the guy over the counter to string it..

Well, when he came back and I checked it out.. I noticed that there was tab of leather or of some other material at the tip of the racket. Its wedged between the frame and the string. I was wondering what the piece of leather does.. I'm assuming that it somehow takes in a bit of vibration after making contact with the shuttle?

Does anyone else have the same? Does anyone know what its purpose is? Or does it have no purpose and just sits there? :confused:

Cheers..

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

how big a bit?
    On the inside of the frame or outside?

When I string a racquet I use a starting clamp, which gets pulled against the frame. So I use a small piece of grip between the clamp and the frame to protect the frame from scratches.

If it's a small piece, it may have come off something like that.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I have seen them before. It's a small tab of leather that's tied down by the string itself, so it's on the outside of the frame. Actually it's supposed to act like MP grommet ridges... buffering the string and smoothing the contact so that the edge of the grommets won't bruise the string. Just think of it as an old fashioned MP ridge:p. Grommet tubings/jackets doesn't the same thing except you have to replace the top grommets to fit the tubings in. It's quite a pain in the butt to re-install them when you restring the racquet.

#3 cappy75, Mar 31, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

yep, my friend who does stringing told me about this just a few weeks ago! there was a mp racquet with a damaged special grommet near the t-joint, and he replaced it with a small 5x5mm peice of overgrip that was tucked neatly under and between the frame and string.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

you don't get the special MP grommets (or grommet strips) near the tip of the racquet though, do you?

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Many stringer use it at the b1 and b2 holes. However, at the tip of the racquet? Does he mean the top? I have never seen any one on the top before...

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Apologies, I was thinking more in the line of the MP frame with its rounded bumps/ridges.

8. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    ALthough I doubt they'd want to make an MP100 even head heavier, but mayhaps it's also extra weight? A little lead tab maybe, i know gamma makes lead swingweight modifiers in an H-shape so that they fit between strings-- although they ususually don't go at the 12 o'clock position, rather perhaps 2 and 10 o'clock....