User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah,
    how about you attach some scales to one end of the string, tension it, and then clamp everything off. So you go: fixed point, scales, string, fixed point.
    Then you just have to record the reading on the scales at whatever time intervals you like.

You're stuck without your scales for that time though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    ah,
    how about you attach some scales to one end of the string, tension it, and then clamp everything off. So you go: fixed point, scales, string, fixed point.
    Then you just have to record the reading on the scales at whatever time intervals you like.

you are assuming the "hook" of the scale doesnt move...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah,

you mean something like this? (excuse the bad drawing im sorta busy and rushing through things )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    you are assuming the "hook" of the scale doesnt move...
    no I wasn't
    you shouldn't assume what others are assuming
    I was expecting it to move, but not a lot, and unless someone buys a tension measuring device (I think there was a link to a web-site that sold them in the thread about Stringmeter) I dunno what else to suggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SWC_Ant
    you mean something like this? (excuse the bad drawing im sorta busy and rushing through things )
    pretty much, yeah.
    Not necessarily roof and floor though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no I wasn't
    you shouldn't assume what others are assuming
    I was expecting it to move, but not a lot, and unless someone buys a tension measuring device (I think there was a link to a web-site that sold them in the thread about Stringmeter) I dunno what else to suggest.
    well the string is only going to stretch a few centimeters... so even a 5mm movement on the scale can be drastic on the effect on the results

heres another quick drawing of another possible method, where the weight is put on the floor so that on the first day, 25lb would stretch the string to just touch the floor. to measure, lift weight up until string is slack, and measure string
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SWC_Ant
    well the string is only going to stretch a few centimeters... so even a 5mm movement on the scale can be drastic on the effect on the results
    well, my 0-50 lb scales move about 8mm per 15lb
    or about 0.5mm per lb
    I think that's small enough to ignore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, my 0-50 lb scales move about 8mm per 15lb
    or about 0.5mm per lb
    I think that's small enough to ignore
    then i guess your way is possible.. so.. when should we start this 30 day experiment? are there anything else that we need to set or clarify before we start? and which strings will we be testing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so.. does anybody have any followup comments/questions/results on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I don't think that measuring string stretch will tell us anything important. Perhaps a different method should be considered.

Ex: After stringing a specific racquet with a specific string at specific tension, place a hook on the center strings [and perhaps do this from other locations] and measure the force needed to displace the strings 5 mm. Then do this after playing every 2 hours [or any other reasonable time period] and measure the force needed to displace the strings 5mm again.

This should measure the loss of tension over time and playing. Perhaps a running commentary of the difference in feel as this happens would be good too. Also- how about bouncing a known bird from a 2 meter height and measuring the height of the bounce at each displacement? I think this experiment would be so time consuming, it would need many players to participate using the same measuring technique.
    I love science- it may even improve our game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TamesBK
    I don't think that measuring string stretch will tell us anything important. Perhaps a different method should be considered.

Ex: After stringing a specific racquet with a specific string at specific tension, place a hook on the center strings [and perhaps do this from other locations] and measure the force needed to displace the strings 5 mm. Then do this after playing every 2 hours [or any other reasonable time period] and measure the force needed to displace the strings 5mm again.

This should measure the loss of tension over time and playing. Perhaps a running commentary of the difference in feel as this happens would be good too. Also- how about bouncing a known bird from a 2 meter height and measuring the height of the bounce at each displacement? I think this experiment would be so time consuming, it would need many players to participate using the same measuring technique.
    I love science- it may even improve our game.
    A good idea. However, I think there is a minor problem. Some people play top of the racquet more than the center. If that is the case, it will cause difference in tension between top and lower part of the frame. I would like to suggest a little mod on your suggestion. Each one of us find an old racquet that we do not use anymore. 2 group of people string it up with 2 different kind of strings @25lb (ie grp1 w/ bg85 and grp2 w/ bg65) for comparison. Place the stringed racquet between 2 benchs or chairs (frame only). Get a string or wire to tide a 40lb (or agreed weight) weight to one end and a hook on the other end or the string. Hook the string with weight in center of the racquet (ie 11th main and 11th cross). Measure how height the weight is off the ground first. Unhook the string. Control group will not use the racquet and repeat the measurement every 10 days. The other group will hang the weight on 2 hr every other day and measure the weight height off the ground every 10 day. Collect the data after 60 days and do analysis.

I would like to know how much would Yonex R&D is welling to pay for this set of data and analysis. The money should go to BC and the member who contribute to this experiment.

Any suggestion is welcome here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for reviving this post, although i don't fully understand everything here, but i do think that the 2nd method TamesBK is going to use is maybe going to work since not everyone has the ability to hit the sweetspot every time we hit so i do think that hitting the middle will work, just my thought

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2