how do i remove a sheared grommet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chickenpoodle, Apr 1, 2005.

1. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

well, today as i was playing, i noticed there was an odd buzzing noise from the string bed.
    i took a look, and realized the grommet on B1 was sheared.
    i was worried the frame might be contacting the string, and it was hard to tell, since its so darned small.

so i came home and took a photo (figure 1), and i guess i should not be worried, right? i mean, it looks like part of the grommet is still between the string and frame! am i right?

now a second question is, how can i cut off the little piece that is hanging around? does anyone have any suggestions? i can't think of anything skinny enough to cut the tube without cutting the strings.

and my final question is, since the grommet i inserted into the bottom came from yonex racquets, they are somewhat different than that of my racquet (a carlton). i noticed a bit more of the grommet "stem" sticks out into the string bed. would it be advisable to trim the grommet "stem" next time, so its shorter? will the shorter stem prevent it from shearing?
    you can tell in figure 1, that the grommets do stick out a lot more than usual.

figure 1

2. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

Use one of those nail cliper that looks like a wire cutter.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The safest way is to use a grommet remover.

4. chickenpoodle

i wasn't sure what shuttlebugs suggested was, and i didn't have a grommet remover...
    however, after a short while fiddling with a nail clipper, i gave up and pulled out an exacto knife, something i shyed away from usign in fears of cutting my strings.
    lo and behold, it did the job in seconds.

thanks guys.

does anyone know if shortening the "stem" will help prevent this shearing from occuring in the future? i've never had this happen before. it was strange.

5. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Err what happens if the string touches the frame? Will the string break or the frame? Because I'm having similiar situation with my MP99

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I had a similar situation too. Simply used a small nail clipper to cut out the protruding piece. There shouldn't be any problem as long as the grommet remains intact at the top part where the strings bend around the frame. I have been playing with that racquet for awhile and hasn't had a snapped string yet.

7. chickenpoodle

ya, the grommet is actually still between the string and frame.
    you won't even have to bother replacing it when you restring it, but it'd be advisable if you do.

as for putting those special bumper grommets from a yonex or other brands into other racquets, they fit in most yonex racquets, but dont' jam it into other ones if they dont' fit exactly. they end up shearing... did it twice in my carltons. never happened once yet since i put it in my cab21. and it fit really well.

8. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    yeah i have broken many grommets on my as-1 and my rasmussen airblade many times, it doesn't seem to have that big of an effect so far, the sting nor the frame has broken