Hi-Tec English masters

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by jamesd20, Apr 2, 2005.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Robertson and Emms get a Masters scare

ANTHONY CLARK and Donna Kellogg nearly spoiled the script at Carlton Hi-Tec English Masters at the Guild Hall in Preston tonight.

They gave the European champions,Olympic silver medallists and world No 1s Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms a real scare in an 80-minute opening match.

Indeed when they led 8-2 in the third game the packed house were bracing themselves for an upset.

But the worlds best pair stopped rot to turn the tables on their England team-mates to run out winners 15-13 5-15 15-10.

In the final they will face world No 2 pair Jens Eriksen and Mette Schjoldager. The Danish pair came from a game down to beat Robert Blair and Natalie Munt - late replacements for Olympic champions Zhang Jun and Gao Ling. Eriksen and Schjoldager won 7-15 15-6 15-9.

Before the final two of England's most promising youngsters, Eleanor Cox and Michelle Cheung, fought out a fine exhibition match before Cox won 9-5.

There was a great atmosphere in a packed Guild Hall as badminton made a welcome and long overdue return to a tried and tested venue.

The event fitted perfectly into the theatre in the round - and the atmosphere was enhanced by a brass band bursting into tune every time there was a towelling down and a court mopping break.

It should make for good TV on BBC 2 Grandstand on Sunday (1.30pm) with the band playing snatches of the Match of the Day theme at regular intervals, former Olympic track star Steve Cram doing the on-court interviews and Olympic commentators David Mercer and Gill Clark in the commentary box.

Table tennis star turned promoter can be well satisfied with his first venture into badminton and the crowd noice and enthusiasm from the fans was just what was needed to herald this new era under Badminton England.

From www.baofe.co.uk

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Robertson and Emms edged out in Masters final

JENS ERIKSEN and Mette Schjoldager emerged as party-poopers tonight when they beat Olympic silver medallists and European champions Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms 15-12 15-5 to win the Carlton Hi-Tec English Masters title in front of a packed and noisy house in Preston Guild Hall.

The Danes had earlier beaten Robert Blair and Natalie Munt in three games while Robertson and Emms survived a scare by Anthony Clarkand Donna Kellogg to pull back from 8-2 down in the decider to win their semi-final in three as well.

But the two three-setters seemed to have taken its toll more on the English pair than the Danes, who were always in control in the final to lift the trophy and the winners' cheques.

But the event was so successful that Eriksen and Schjoldager must come back to defend their title and re-establish the Masters as a regular in the calendar.

Right now though all four pairs fly out tomorrow to contest the Japan Open.

Semi-finals:

Robertson & Emms bt Clark & Kellogg 15-13 5-15 15-10
    Eriksen & Schjoldager bt Blair & Munt 7-15 15-6 15-9

Final
    Eriksen & Schjoldager bt Robertson & Emms 15-12 15-5

Junior Exhibition
    Eleanor Cox bt Michelle Cheung 9-5.

from www.baofe.co.uk

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Robertson/Emms lose Preston final

Coverage on BBC2, Sunday Grandstand, 3 April at 1335
    Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms failed in their bid to win the English Masters after losing to Denmark's Jens Eriksen and Mette Schjoldager in the final.
    The Danes were never really in trouble against the Olympic silver medallists as they claimed a 15-12 15-5 win.

The British pair had earlier survived a real scare to defeat Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg 15-13 5-15 15-10.

England's Robert Blair and Natalie Munt lost 7-15 15-6 15-9 by Eriksen and Schjoldager in the other semi-final.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sounds like quite an occasion, with good commentators and sports starts outside of badminton. I think it is good to have people promoting the sport from outside the sport, as people take it more seriousley than if it is "that badminton fanatic, hes bound to promote it"

And for people who can recieve bbc channel, it will be broadcast (subject to variation) on Sunday Grandstand BBC2 3/5/05 1335

I take the results with a pinch of salt though, after all the sudirman cup is only 4-6 weeks away, and the Japan open is next week.

5. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    David Mercer and Gilliian Gilks? good commentating? seems to be the ONLY English commentators! Their comments are like read from a script, so repetitive it gets annoying sometimes. When they start getting some enthusiatic American commentating to liven things up?...but not at the expense of a clear called a lob :D

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Compared to most other badminton commentators, they are good. If any has Hans DVD of olympics that guy is painful to listen to!

Only in the OG David mercer commenting on Shon seung mos' chin rivalling Jimmy Hill got on my nerves. And Gillian Gilks sems to use the phrases "hoh! Terrible indecision" and "well, what a rally" too much. My partner always laughs when she hears her say that!

7. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I think it's Gil Clark and not Gillian Gilks. I prefer them as commentators, at least they are former professional players and they know what they're talking about. The commentator on the Olympic dvds is embarassing...

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes you're right, it is Gill Clark.

You have the OG dvd too eh?! :)

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hi all, i was there, nathan and gail were having a nightmare. either one or the other or both were really not concentrating.

anyway - to something far more important - i'll be on the telly today as the lone denmark supporter!!! look out for the fool with blonde highlights and denmark flags painted on his face!

shouting come on denmark in a crowd full of brits is highly recommended - just for the cringe factor :)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You mean the guy who coughed his way through some games, took a call from his wife saying "I'm live on the telly, I'll call you back later" and exclaimed when you got to 14 all you played till you were 2 points clear at 17 and then when the score was 16-16 had to do a bit of backtracking?

That guy?

He was more than painfull and should have been put out of his misery early on in the qualifying rounds and replaced by a 2 year old. :rolleyes:

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I tihnk that was a different guy from OG2000.(AUS accent)

The OG2004 guy had an american accent (but maybe just learned english from american) the susilo match vs Boonsak was in particularly bad.

Just watched it from tv. ( the ENG masters). Was OK, good to see some on television. Not sure about the comments made by Gail and Nathan though:

Gail on Nathan: "he is like the Roger federer of tennis, so much talent and natural awareness of the play......he has the ability to finsih a rally from any point on the court"

Not quite IMO, he seems to get wrong footed every rally. LOL at first when I was listening to this I didnt know who ashe was talking about and thought they were talking about Kim Dong Moon!:)

Nathan on Gail: "She is probably the best and quickest player around the net"

Not sure on that either, she falls short in almost all categories in relation to others (Skill, speed, movement, strokes)

But I supposed we kinda get used to their inflated opinions of themselves by now, and I think must be told this by the coaching staff so they beleive, so we can't bblame them entirely.

As to the games, Jens played solidly throughout, with no concentration lapses, whilst Emms & co were as normal inconsistent in serves and returns, but got better throughout the rally. Blair & Munt tare looking much more fluent playing with each than before, but maybe lack an extra edge to become the best.

If Nathan could improve his court coverage, they could well dominate, especially as there is no one else now Zhang Jun is fading and KDM retired. But to dominate when off form you need to have good coverage.

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    WHile I am pleased to see badminton on mainstream TV , what a dissappointing event!

A made for tv mixed only exhibition with only 1 foreign pair can get coverage yet the AE, Euros, Worlds or Nationals, (3 of which Emms/Robs won) can't get even a highlights package on BBC.

Robertson was clearly disinterested, often trying out strange shots or losing concentration, the only event less interesting to the serious badminton follower would be a womens doubles invitaion event!

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Agree with the first, but you have to start somewhere. The lighting looked really bad, it was very shadowy.

I actually quite like WD, much better technically and tactically than MD, and more relevant to my level.

14. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    But I thought you could jump smash Jamesd20 :p:p:p

My level is more Junior WD LOL

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Where did you get that impression from. My vertical jump is about 2cm! Not very athletic, just try hard. :)

16. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    When I watched Han's DVDs, I had an impression that it was the same guy that was commenting OG 2000. Mainly because of his accent that was terrible. At the beginning I was not certain if he is really speaking English. Very poor commentary indeed.

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    On closer inspection, there are two differnt commentators, taken from different sources. OG2004 does have the AUS (maybe) accent guy with a bad cough! as well as the other guy