Choose a racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by overhead_rhythm, Apr 2, 2005.

1. overhead_rhythm

overhead_rhythm Regular Member

Hi, please help me find the good racket. My level is almost intermediate. I'm looking for Racket that can do an effortless Clear from backcourt (important), good smash, good control. Not expensive, below $100. Prefer Isometric head but I want to know some oval head that suit my criteria too. How about MP series MP33 or MP 77? or any better?

2. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    if its hard for you to do a clear from back court, its not usually the racket's problem (unless you're using a $10 racket) but its probably something to do with your strings and string tension. (or most probable, your technique) what racket do you use currently? that might help with people giving you suggestions about getting a new racket. personally i think, under $100, MP 22-28 are all pretty good. its all personal preference tho :)

cheers

3. overhead_rhythm

My racket is fake Toalson ( I think) and it's flexible. In my country MP 22 - MP 77, Carbonex series are below $100. Is there any of rackets I've mentioned, meet my criteria?

4. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    For around $100 USD, your best bet would be the Cab30MS. Although it's consider as a mainstream racquet according to Yonex, many here feel that it belongs to one of the top and greatest racquets Yonex ever made.

5. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    the MP 22-77 range are all pretty good rackets.. i sugget you try each out, and make your decisions on that.. because everyone is suited for different types of rackets, my choice might not be your choice. also string tension affects your shots too, so dont judge a model by the strings ;)

6. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    you can't really say that :p because everybody is different.. what someone finds great, someone else might find extremely awkward... for example i probably wouldn't choose an oval head racket like Cab 30ms.. but some people will

some people on this forum will definitely say that Ti-10 is the greatest racket Yonex made, some people will say MP 99, even others would say AT800DE, or anything else.. its all personal preference

7. virusvoodoo

court mopper

Yeah, I know there isn't any racquet that is quite "perfect" and these things vary as people have different taste. See that's why, if you read my advice carefully you'll see that I said "MANY PEOPLE..." and not all. I also did not say the Cab30MS is the top & greatest Yonex racquet, but instead stated that may people "FEEL" that it is "ONE OF THE TOP & GREATEST RACQUETS..."

#7 virusvoodoo, Apr 3, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  8. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    true, you said "many people" and "one of the best" and stuff.. but ur first sentence is still straightforwardly suggesting him that the best racket for him would probably be Cab30MS :p

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

the ironic thing, is that someone was complaining about this cheap alumimum/graphite techno racquet with oem techno strings... probably around 100-120g. i found it to be quite easy to clear with that thing. much easier than the lighter 80-90g racquets we use regularly. :D

10. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Yes for his price range, the Cab30MS, to me, stand out more than the other racquets that you've mentioned. I'm sure all the MP-2x series are fine and all but overall we have come to agreed that the Cab30MS is better.

But this doesn't mean that he'll like it better than the MP-2x. This is it's called a suggestion/recommendation. We don't know if he'll like a $100 USD dollar racquet better than a $70 USD racquet.

11. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    your right... we dont know what he would be more suitable for.. but i dont think overall we have came to agree on Cab30MS being better than any of the MP series either ;) some people might think its horrible compared to the MP series, some people might think its great.. :)

12. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Now, when I say "we agree" I'm basing it on what I've heard and seen. I think it's safe to say thet there are more reviews and recommendations for the Cab30MS than any of the MP 2x racquets. Since it is popular and more people recommend a certain product, I'm guessing that there must be something good or special about it.

I don't own the Cab30MS racquet yet so again I'm just basing all of my opinions on what I heard and seen from other people.

If you are flaming me because I was recommending a specific thing then I can turn it around and flame you for the same fault with the MP lines. There are also other great racquets from the Carbonex, Isometric, Titanium, Armortec lines but I thought when people ask for recommendations they want something specific.

13. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    sorry i didn't mean to flame you in any way... it was just that you seemed to be going too specific with the Cab30MS.. im not saying it or anything else is a good or bad choice, because we dont even know his playing style, we cant say anything about what racket he is supposed to get.. hope you understand

14. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Yeah that's why it's called a suggestion/recommendation. Noticed that I used suggestive terms such as would, overall, etc...

I think the person would appreciate it if the recommendations are more specific. I could have recommended him to a few other ones too but I know when I'm shopping around I have enough headaches already just looking at 3-4 similar products. So imagine having to decide between 10 different racquets from each of our recommendations. I don't think that'd very helpful to him. He probably wouldn't ask for another advice from this board again if that was true.

15. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    you're right.. we should give him a few recommendations.. but if he goes and gets Cab30MS (or any other racket for that matter) and then one day trys out a Ti10 or somethin and goes "hey i like this racket way better, i wasted $100 for nothin".. then he probably wont ask here for advice again hahahaha :p

anyways... i suggest/recommend that you try different rackets.. borrow rackets from friends and try them out.. and then maybe come back for some more opinions about the rackets that you yourself have narrowed down to

16. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Yeah see, those higher end ones are beyond $100 USD which is out of his range. Otherwise I'd recommend him to some of my few favorites that I have and like such as the MP-99s, MP-100s, AT-800DE, Ti-10. I think you forgot about his price range.

That's why I still stand with my recommendation. I think the Cab30MS is overall the better racquet than all the others for about $100, granted that we don't take performance/price into consideration since I haven't got a chance to try all those other racquets below $100 USD yet. Even so, the Cab30MS does have a good performance/price ratio performing almost at the level of the legendary MP-99 for half its cost. Now if that's not a good thing then I don't know what is.

If you meant to say that he should demo the racquet first then I whole heartedly agree since everyone likes different things. These recommendations only helps to narrow it down to a few to make it easier for him to demo and try out.

#16 virusvoodoo, Apr 4, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  17. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    im not forgetting the price range.. just saying that he could end up regretting not putting in another $30 for a much better racket.. there's nothing wrong with his price range.. but he still should have some kind of comparison... a while ago i bought a MP55.. and kinda regretted not shillin out another extra $30 for a high end racket.. and ended up having to rebuy a new racket :eek:

edit: anyways, i think we should stop talking so much and let him have his say first.. otherwise it'll be a LOT of repetitive reading for him to do first thing in the morning tomorrow :p

18. wawan

wawan Regular Member

most agree....
    need his response now i guess....

19. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

There are rackets that are easier to clear with(I mean truly effortlessly, and there are rackets that I can clear with, but it takes more energy to do so). When playing a singles tournament, it is advisable to have a racket that is easy to clear with so that you will not tire out before your opponent does.

I've personally had the MP77, and it is recommendable for it's easy of clearing and devasting smashes. However, it is on heavy side, and will be slow for defense in doubles. I don't have experience with MP33, but there are plenty of positive reviews of it, so do a search.

For the oval headed rackets, I have tried Carbonex 8400, it's a good racket. It doesn't have the latest technlogy in it, but it is easy to clear with, and smashes are good but not outstanding. You probably would need better technique to handle the Carbonex 8400 than a MP77 though. If you are an intermediate player, you should do fine. There are positive reviews of Cab 20MS and Cab 30MS, you may consider these as well.

20. overhead_rhythm

virusvodoo, SWC_ant, chickenpoodle, wawan, TheGr8Two thanks for the suggestion & recommendation :) . Actually long time ago I'd bought Ti-10 , price is $100 , compare to my curent racket, Ti-10 give me a better clear, but I've sold it to my friend. I don't know the exact reason why I sold it. May be I just felt that $100 doesn't worth it just for a not significant difference in term of power. If MP 77 really easy to Clear as TheGr8Two recommended, I would like to buy it , because it cost me $ 70, cheaper than Ti-10In. Same thing wth other MP series that SWC_ant recommended , if it really can do easy Clear, I would choose it, Considering that MP33 just cost me $ 40. In double games I don't have any probem with my current racket (fake Toalson), but in single game I think I've put enough power on the Clear, but it is weak :eek: , unlike the Ti-10. If I have to narrowed, I will consider MP2x-77 , I think Cab 30 MS is too Expensive for me. the price is the same with Ti-10. How about Cab 20 MS? how it perform? I think the candidate will be MP series (2x, 33, 77) and Cab ( only cab 25 sp and cab MS series, have tried cab 21 sp just felt like nothing special).