How can they jump so high?!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Luka, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Luka

Luka Guest

I just looked some pictures of badminton players like Peter Gade... I've been anxious about their high jumps and I was wondering if someone could write down some of the exercises connected with these jumps. I'm not planning to jump as high as they are, but at least I would like to try.

Thanks

2. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    A good jump smasher who trained in Malaysia told me that he learned by jumping as high as he could 200 times a day, every day. He's a small guy and not overweight at all. I *DO NOT* recommend this exercise, because it seems it would be very hard on the knees and feet.

Actually, he stopped doing it because against certain good smash returners, he was losing time coming down and had less time to respond to the smash return.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    genetics & hang time

most of that jumping ability is due to genetics. players that have outstanding vertical leaps have been blessed with a high % of fast-twitch (type IIb) muscles in their legs. if you have more slow twitch muscles then perhaps long distance running is your calling.

you can get the most out of the fast twitch that you were born with by practicing PLYOMETRIC leg exercises.

another thing that might be helpful is to work on what volleyball players call "hang time". You can maximize "hang time" by shifting your center of gravity (COG) as you jump. Lifting your arms up while you are standing or jumping will raise your COG. Also, bending your knees while you are jumping (to raise your feet behind you as you jump) will raise your COG. By properly timing the movement of the arms and lower legs as you jump while maximize "hang time".

4. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Plyometrics

there's been quite a few posts regarding plyometrics in the past several months. use the search feature of this message board to locate them for more info. i recall that there were a couple of web sites that were mentioned that gave decent explanations & examples of plyometric exercises.

for a variety of plyo exercises it might be best to pick up a book on plyometrics. Donald A. Chu, PhD has written a number of books on this subject. you can find these books at www.humankinetics.com (and possibly at amazon.com).

clarifications:

by maximizing "hang time" you will possibly jump higher, however the primary goal of extended "hang time" is to stay up in the air longer. it's truly amazing to watch someone with extended han time; they seem to defy gravity for a while.

studies indicate that the % of slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers with which we were born are pretty much fixed. however, other studies would seem to indicate that this might not be true... we can change the balance of the different fiber type with the proper exercises. there is also a type IIc fiber that can be trained as either slow or fast twitch. whether we can make a signifcant change in the balance or not, we can still develop the desired twitch type thru proper types of exercise.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: genetics & hang time

how about minimizing fall time? in international tourneys, the MD players can jump really really high and smash down one on one side of the court, get back onto the ground, run to the other side, and then jumpsmash another one. their fall time + footwork combination is amazing.

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    fall time

perhaps by straightening the legs & lowering the arms right after contact the COG is lowered & fall time will be minimized. not sure about this, just guessing.

7. Re: fall time

example is sigit budiarto. his jump is at least a metre high. he jumps up and stays there when he's smashing but quickly comes down after that.

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Re: fall time

It looks like it, but his jump is definitely not over the magical 1 metre barrier. But his hang time while taking a shot is utterly amazing ! He was like 5 metres away from where I was sitting and I had a long while to appreciate what he did. It was in the range of 75-90 centimetres if his body was straight. Not up to 1 metre yet. It probably looks so due to his curled stance in 'flight' ...

If you want serious ground clearance, look at the top volleyball players and basketball players. Like Jordan when he was at his prime ... his was on the top 1% scale of things at about 1.2 metres if his body was straight. That's 'airtime ' ...

9. Re: fall time

yah maybe, coz we cant actually freeze him in the air and measure the height. its just an estimation.... heheheh...

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

This hanging-in-the-air stuff. I'm sure it's just a matter of practice.

11. Tony Halim

Tony Halim Guest

Will eating frogs' legs help?? j/k : )

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

We won't be selfish...we won't stop you from trying and letting us know the results!!

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

just like any other techniques, one can learn and have several type of jump smashes, depending on my and opponents positioning. If one master the timing, no need to have long hang time. badminton is not exactly the same as basketball you know.

14. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Hang Time ...

Yup .. Agreed cooler...

But just imagine the day when some Afro-American with the physical ability of Michael Jordan discovers the joy of playing badminton ....

... Woo hoo ... You get SUPER jump smashes and single leap cross-court returns ...

...Wow !! Wouldn't it make the game really different !!

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: Hang Time ...

the higher the jump, the longer it take to come down.
    if i make a cross court rsmash return to the other back corner, god help michael jordan. Of course, i assumed that i was able to make that return smash:)

Jump smashing is not alway advantageous shot making as u think.

16. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Cooler ..

Yes, I know that .. I hardly make any smashes in my singles game becuase of that.

But think you missed out on the second part of the statement ...

About the ability to cross the court in a single leap to make returns ...

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

gladius, i hope u mean u prefer not to 'jump' smash in single. I think regular ground smash is effective for any player in single.

One don't need to have M. Jordan ability to make cross court return. If the single cross court leap to return a clear shot, what good is that be? in MD, you need to maintain offensive and repetitive attack. If MJ can make jump smashes from both back ends with just 1 leap between the two sides, that would be really amazing. However, i don' think those smashes would be hard and accurate since MJ would be moving about too fast and too long. In basketball, MJ only need to make 1 great attack move/shot to score, in badminton, u need to make many many jump smashes to end a rally. Many people here have shown that fast contracting muscle type have poor eudurance. I doubt MJ can sustain a long smashing rally.

Look at current crop of best MD, they are not the super tall type.

-cooler

18. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

Yes, agreed cooler ..

But I was just indulging in a little fantasy there ...

Just wondering what sort of amazing stuff might crop up if such people do start making inroads into the game of badminton ...

... Hope you don't mind the 'fantasy' there ...

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

fantasy is good to one's health :)
    If MJ do learn how to do the jump smash, i think only 1 smash will do for him as the angle of attack would be so steep that his opponents can't retreive the shuttle.

The only alternative that 'shorter' players have against MJ is not lifting the shuttle.

20. Ake

Ake Guest

Have you seen lately Xia Xuenze?
    Jump smash very often. Even fade-away smash!!!!