Malaysian shuttlers Hafiz and Chong Wei join top eight world rankings

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: There is a new world order in the men's singles badminton competition and Malaysia's Mohd Hafiz Hashim is very much in the fray.

After the 15-13, 15-13 victory over Kenneth Jonassen in the men's singles final in the Thailand Open on Sunday, Hafiz is expected to break into the top eight in the world rankings for the first time.

It was his second title in a row in the World Badminton Grand Prix circuit. Last month, he defeated world number two Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark to win the Swiss Open title.

And if he continues with his form, Hafiz is set to join other youngsters China's Lin Dan (world No. 1), Bao Chunlai (No. 5) and Lee Chong Wei (No. 6) in the chase for more international honours this year.

Besides the quartet, there are other youngsters, waiting in the wings, and hoping for the breakthrough like China's world junior champion Chen Jin, South Korea's Park Sung-hwan and Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

The Athens Olympic Games champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia (No. 8), world champion Xia Xuanze of China (No. 9) and Malaysia's Wong Choong Hann (No. 7) are expected to drop a few rungs in the world standings if they continue to dish out below par performances and stay away from international tournaments.

The Danes - Gade-Christensen and the world number four Jonassen - are not getting any younger and can expect torrid times against the youngsters in future tournaments.

And following his great run, former All-England champion Hafiz, is all fired up for the challenges ahead.

“The Swiss Open title gave me the confidence. And after winning my second title in Thailand, I am very motivated now,†said Hafiz, who had struggled for more than a year since winning the All-England title in 2003.

In fact, Hafiz can be the Malaysian player with the most Grand Prix titles if he continues to pick up form.

Despite being in the national team for eight years, Choong Hann has only won four titles (1997 and 2002 Dutch Open, 2002 China Open and 2003 Taiwan Open) while national number one Chong Wei has the 2003 Malaysian Open and Taiwan Open titles under his belt.

Hafiz could improve on his tally at the Japan Open starting tomorrow in Tokyo. But the lanky shuttler said he would not be over confident.

“It has been quite hectic for me. I have competed in five tournaments so far. I am quite tired and I hope I can recover quickly. I aim to give my best in the Japan Open,†he said.

Hafiz’s main goal is the World Championships in August at Los Angeles. A good showing in the Japan Open will give him a good seeding in the world meet.

Based on draw, a rematch between Hafiz and Jonassen is on the cards in the third round. If he wins, Hafiz is expected to play compatriot Chong Wei in the last eight.

The winner is likely to meet top seed Lin Dan in the last four. Lin Dan, however, may come up against stiff opposition from teammate Chunlai in the last eight.

The seasoned campaigners – Taufik, Xuanze, Gade-Christensen and Choong Hann – are expected to battle it out in the lower half of the draw.

Besides Hafiz, Chong Wei and Choong Hann, the other Malaysian men’s singles players in the Japan Open are Kuan Beng Hong, Lee Tsuen Seng, Yeoh Kay Bin and Sairul Amar Ayob.