IBF : 5x7 doesn't work?!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Oct 1, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gunalan, VP of IBF said this in an <a target=top_ href="http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2001/10/2/sports/pdgip&sec=sports">article</a>

“We had tried out the new scoring system (seven-point best-of-five games) hoping to lure in the sponsors but unfortunately they are against this.”

so, is he saying, "it doesn't work?"

2. lat

lat Guest

This 5x7 business according to the papers and articles that I've read is good for air time. Also it should make the game more interesting and therefore the popularity of the sports.

Sponsore money will come if the 5x7 has promoted a good increase in the popularity of Badminton.

So the question is : Has this happened?

Is way too soon to say. I pesonally has not seen a big increase in players in my club or other clubs so far.

I think what Gunalan was saying is this: "Where is the miracle?"

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Well, to me, the 5x7 hasn't been all that bad. But i never particularly liked it unless i was dead tired and playing an opponent in singles. But i'm a mixed doubles player now and i hate the 5x7 for doubles. Its too fast and the games are too short.

4. Erik

Erik Guest

The general reaction among top players seems to be that it is ok
    for singles, but doesn't realy work for doubles for the reasons
    which Byro mentiones. It seems that in the near future an alternative will be tested, where in doubles the second service will be taken out. Each server will serve in alternate turns of service. Mind this is only a cosidaration at the moment, and has not yet been oficially tested.

Gradually I am starting to feel that we are selling out our
    sport for the benifit of the advertisers, rather than improving
    things for the benifit of our players. The only place where we
    shall ever regularly see badminton on TV life, will be Asia, yet
    where Europe plays 5x7 in the national leagues and the IBF GP events, Asian leauges and tournaments predominantly favour 3x15/11. I know taht in Indonisia everything is played best of three.

It leaves the impression that we are moving into a wrong direction.Byro-Nenium wrote:
    >
    > Well, to me, the 5x7 hasn't been all that bad. But i
    > never particularly liked it unless i was dead tired and
    > playing an opponent in singles. But i'm a mixed doubles
    > player now and i hate the 5x7 for doubles. Its too fast and
    > the games are too short.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We have a strange situation on TV when the WGPF finals only had highlights shown. The total viewing time was less than the less prestigious Swiss Open (another 5 x 7 tournament).

Did Star TV give up on the WGPF?? It gave more coverage to the Asian Badminton championships ( 3 x 15).

Something to ponder on.

6. Erik

Erik Guest

As far as my information reaches, Star TV has given up, but I am not sure. I was at the Swiss Open and I am curious as to which matches were broadcasted in Asia. I know parts of the ladie's doubles final were to be broadcasted (this was the only Euro-Asian confrontation at the Swiss this year), but I don't know about any of the other finals. If there was no life broadcasting at all over the past few months, The arguments in
    favour of the new system will have to be re-examined in the
    near future.

7. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Another major change the 5x7 format will cause: players will get coaching during the 90 sec break between games, and will be under less pressure to figure out their opponent's weaknesses during a game. Under 3x15, you had better look for weaknesses yourself, because you couldn't wait for the coach to tell you, you would have already missed a big chance.

8. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    how about a change to 5*9 ?

9. Erik

Erik Guest

Iris,
    The Norwegian Badminton Association experimented extensively
    with a 5x9 system a few years ago. The managed to have it introduced at a number of EBU-events and even a few IBF GP events, among which the Dutch Open 1996. The arguments both
    in favour and against were more or less similar to what we hear
    today about 5x7. I don't think 5x9 will bring acceptabel improvement on 5x7 especially in doubles. The only step forward
    that both systems ring to the game is that it puts an end to
    the totally outdated dicrimination between the men's and the
    ladie's singles game.