News: Sony Dwi moves to Sweden

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Mag, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    According to Gotlands Allehanda:

Visby Badminton Club (VBMK), from the island of Gotland, Sweden, has contracted nobody less than Sony Dwi Kuncoro for the next season. Kuncoro is moving to Visby to study archaeology, and for this period he will join the VBMK team. Kuncoro intends to continue his badminton career after his studies, and it is therefore vital that he can keep training during his studies.

---

The newspaper describes Sony Dwi Kuncoro as "Olympic Bronze Medalist in Men's Doubles" (sic!), and "one of the few top players that can play equally well with both hands, therefore he never needs to use his backhand, and this ability has helped him become a world class doubles player".
    That passage is hilarious. Obviously, the "journalist" that wrote this knows nothing about badminton and didn't think twice about checking his "facts"... :D

It is also worth to note that Visby Badminton Club's best team plays in the 3rd division in the Swedish league (same as my club btw, but different region). In other words, Sony Dwi is not looking for competitive play or training, more likely a place to do his drills and perhaps have some fun.

2. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    eh, is that true? when? becos pbsi just announced that he (alongside taufik) will be playing in sudirman cup,(they announced the players yesterday), and, oh, great, so now he is a double player huh?lol[​IMG] pretty funny
    before i viewed the thread i thought he was going to play for sweden or sumthin (its not that i thought u'd mind if he was mag[​IMG])

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when asked about his new club in Sweden, Sony Dwi says, "i could beat them with my left hand..." ;)

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Wow! Exciting, any comment from swedish national association?

How far away from you is he?

LOL:I have never seen him play with his "other Hand" during a competitve match!

Do you know if he will be playing for sweden, or if he will only do light training, then return to INA after studying? He is 21, so even if he studies full time, he will be 24 if he returns to full time training afterwards. Given that it will be hard motivation for full time study and hard training with no other top players, it probably signifies the end in real winning potential for him (IMO) Two ABC titles and a OG Bronze isn't bad by 21 though.

Another INA player leaving national setup, they have a real problem. With Santoso not developing fast, it leaves they with no top singles player to rely on :eek: :eek:

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You forgot to give the date of the article... wasn't it published on the first of april, by any chance?? ;):D

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Lol I can say that too about my club....but I am left handed! :)

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  8. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    [​IMG]eh, yea, is it just some april fool crap
    i wonder why isnt there any indonesian article mentions this matter, becos sony is quite popular here, so kinda weird if his bizzare move couldnt even be known by the media
    i hope thats not true, becos pbsi said theyll send him to sudirman cup

#8 aiyuuw, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Found it : http://www.gotlandsallehanda.se/GEN...eStateID=2&FreeText=sony&PageID=1&mode=SEARCH

Here's the result of an automatic translator :

10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    The translation is quite difficult to understand but does it actually say he will play in the B-Team!!! :p

And the date of the article is ... 2nd of april! :confused:

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I can't imagine an april fool on the 2nd of april... :confused:
    But the content of the article still makes it strongly feel like an april fool... maybe it was published one day late by mistake? :confused:

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Full of confusion, surely a local Indo new paper would know something too (EVA-Help!) :confused: :confused:

My head is spinning :D

Or any Indo members.

14. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    eh, but why would an april fool article in sweden talking about sony? its not like people knew him there, if it were some kind of april fool crap i think they could have made up sumthin crazier

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    A suggestion, why not someone call the club up and ask if it's true! lol. If not we'd be pondering till the end of time :p

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    After you, I think I can wait a few days for further confirmation!

17. economet

economet Regular Member

Last Summer there was exactly the same happening in Germany.
    All the newspapers reported that Berlin had a contract with the World Champion Xia Xuanze, but only a Chinese player called Xuan Chuan from Shanghai came and he didn't even belong to the Chinese National Squad.

I guess there is somewon who really wants to hire some talents from Asia, but in my opinion there is simply no money for that in whole Europe.

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Ouch. It IS an April fool's joke. :eek:

The newspaper article is dated April 2nd, but I found a press release on VBMK's home page, on which the news article was based. Guess what? It was published on April 1st. :mad:

Obviously the newspaper hasn't realized it was a joke, otherwise they would have removed it -- or at least had the decency to change the publishing date!

The whole thing was just too strange to be true. Well, Sony Dwi moving abroad to study isn't so strange, but the "two-handed doubles" and the division 3 club stuff surely didn't make sense.

For how long is one supposed to be prepared for April Fool's jokes? :mad: :eek: :D

19. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Haha :p, I find it quite funny that the newspaper could get caught by such an april fool and release an article!! :p

Well, at least it shows that they are willing to write articles about badminton... ;)

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Why not Sony? The joke was probably aimed at the club's own members, and the members of a badminton club in Sweden would most likely know who Sony Dwi Kuncoro is. Only this time a journalist saw the joke, fell for it, published an article based on it, the news article was quoted on the Swedish Badminton Federation site (where I found it) and voila - four days later it is official news.

I swallowed it, hook, line and sinker.
    The more I think about it, the funnier it gets. :D

Is there an April fool's tradition in Indonesia? If so, somebody should report this to Indonesian media. It's a funny story.