Bangkok 8th to 12th April '05

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by ants, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hello guys from Thailand. I will be going to Bangkok this friday on the 8th until the 12th. I will be staying in Pathumwan Princess Hotel and i know its near the National Stadium. Maybe i can go for some games , if not just probably meet up for a drink around MBK. Hope i can meet some of the BCfers from Bangkok.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    planning to do anything 'shopping' :confused: :D

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Of coz i'm planning to do some shopping there. Will be getting some cheap clothes , thai tomyam instant noodles my fav. And i will be getting some badminton stuffs for my frens. Don't know what to get for myself at the moment. I will be also going around the city to find good apartments to rent for my staffs who will be stationed there to stay.

4. WEERADEJ

WEERADEJ Regular Member

sale
    No badminton court in National Stadium except Thailand open tournament. around that I think best price for shopping sporting goods. :D :D
    If wanna play have to play another courts around your hotel.
    PM to me if wanna play.:)

5. ants

ants Regular Member

I actually extended my trip to Bangkok.. didnt stay until the 12th. However i've manage to secure an apartment at Lumpini Park View Tower. Anyone knows is there a court nearby Lumpini area? I have a cousin who is staying in bangkok who is staying in Lumpini wants to play around that area.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

I was there during Songkran Festival. What a Blast! This is at Kao Sang Road if i'm not mistaken.

Attached Files:

7. ants

ants Regular Member

More pics in the Wet Kao San Road.

Attached Files:

8. ants

ants Regular Member

This person here is definately not Miss Songkran! :)

Attached Files:

9. ants

ants Regular Member

View of Sanam Luang during the festival

Attached Files:

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Can you explain what songkran festival is ants?

Lookslike adults playing with water pistols to me!

Any badminton yet?

11. ants

ants Regular Member

I cant really explain much in detail what Songkran is all about. I just know that its Thai New year.. like Chinese New year for everyone. For more details , just read the article below that i got from a book just an excerpt.

For individuals who have experienced "Songkran", this traditional Thai custom of merrymaking seen to be the Kingdom's most "sanuk" (fun-filled) festival, celebrated with tremendous enthusiasm, nationwide, once a year on April 13th marking the Thai new year

Known the worldover for its characteristic tradition of water-throwing ranging from a courteous sprinkle or a polite splash, to harmless water pistols and showers from garden hoses to the well-aimed bucket or water-cannon... delivered in a festive spirit. Without a doubt, on the practical side, Songkran is a refreshing solution to "beating the heat" in the hottest season of the year.

There is a however a much deeper significance to "Songkran". Apart from marking a new beginning, Songkran is also a time for thanksgiving. It is an important time for individuals to reflect upon the many acts of kindness and thoughtfulness each has personally experienced and to remember how such acts of generosity and compassion bring peace, happiness and well-being. Songkran is also the time for reunions and family ties are renewed.

At the heart of each Thai custom and tradition, there is always a "raison d'etre" - a logical reason for its existence. The festive elements of the celebration itself, the cultural values, the social code of conduct and individual belief and practices are intertwined. It can be said that in essence, Songkran embodies the traditional Thai Cultural Values.

"Songkran" is a word from the Sanskrit language which means to "move into" and refers to the orbit of the sun moving into Aries. It marks the end of a 12-month cycle and the beginning of a new solar year. Songkran is therefore a New Year celebration.

The underlying significance of Songkran is the process of cleansing and purification - the purging of all ills, misfortune and evil and starting the New Year afresh with all that is good and pure. Water is symbolic of the cleaning process and signifies purity.

12. laserjet

laserjet Regular Member

Hi Ants, i played at a sports hall near the Lumpini park. Cant remember the exact location but believe its where the Thai Badminton Association is based. I also took some badminton lessons when I was there. The coach was recommended by the sports hall.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Ants

Don't worry, I confirm that the muscular 'lady' in red bra and short body-clinging sarong in NOT ants.

Last Thursday during our choir practice, I was persuaded by my friends to pay a visit to Bangkok during the May Vesak holiday period from 21-24 May. Apart from shopping for custom-made suits, etc, we will play golf during the day. The itinerary is not ready yet, but I certainly would ike to play some badminton with some of our Bangkok BFers in the evenings if possible.

Any good tips, Ants and others? :)

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Beside badminton and shopping in Bangkok.. maybe you guys can take a bus trip to Pattaya and enjoy the beach there.