Fresh and well-prepared Chong Wei eyes last eight berth

Discussion in 'Thailand Open / Japan Open 2005' started by ants, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: The US$180,000 Japan Open starting today promises fiery displays as shuttlers set out to confirm their places for the World Championships.

And all Malaysia's top men singles player Lee Chong Wei wants is to move one rung up to fifth position in the world rankings for the first time with a strong showing in the five-star tournament in Tokyo.

The Japan Open is the last major Grand Prix tournament in the world circuit that offers valuable qualifying points for the World Championships in August.

EXTRA EFFORT: While other Malaysian players were away on international duties, Chong Wei and Choong Hann were given special attention by coach Li Mao to prepare for the Japan Open which begins today in Tokyo.
    The qualifying period end after next month's Sudirman Cup (May 10-15 in Beijing) but the performances in the world mixed team event will not see drastic changes in the world rankings. Only the top 24 players in the world rankings - with a maximum of three players per country - listed on May 19 are eligible for the world meet.

After skipping the Swiss Open and Thailand Open, the crafty 23-year-old Chong Wei is all focused and determined to break his jinx of losing in his first tie in the Japan Open.

“In the last two years I have lost my first match in the Japan Open. It will be a great boost for me ahead of the world meet if I can break this jinx and also make it to No. 5 in the rankings for the first time.

“To do that, I have to reach at least the quarter-finals here,†said Chong Wei in a telephone interview from Tokyo yesterday.

“Coach Li Mao had wanted me to stay at home and polish my skills. With my teammates out on international assignments, Li Mao was able to concentrate fully on (Wong) Choong Hann and me over the last three weeks. The preparations have been good.â€

The draw however, has not been kind to Chong Wei.

He will take on defending champion Ronald Susilo of Singapore in the second round. The two received received first round byes.

The “wounded†Susilo will certainly be out to make up for his disappointment of losing to Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the semi-finals of the Thailand Open last week.

“I have never played against Ronald. He and other players may have played in several back-to-back tournaments and they may be tired but I will not take them lightly. As this tournament offers a lot qualifying points, I am sure everyone will give their very best. I will brace myself for a tough time but I certainly do not want to crash out early again,†added Chong Wei, who is eyeing his first international title of the year.

Last year Chong Wei won the Malaysian and Taiwan Opens.

If Chong Wei clears the second round hurdle, he will likely take on Germany's Bjoern Joppien and a win will get him into the quarter-finals. His last eight opponents should be either reigning Thailand Open champion Hafiz or Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark.

Top seed Lin Dan of China is making a return after winning the German Open and finishing second to Chen Hong in the All-England in March and he will be the favourite for the title.

Choong Hann has been drawn in the lower half of the draw with second seed Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark and Athens Olympic Games champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.

Besides Chong Wei, Hafiz and Choong Hann, the other Malaysians are unlikely to make a big impact in the tournament.

In the men's doubles, the hope is on Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat to make a breakthrough in their career. They have been drawn in the same quarter with top seed Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen.

Malaysians have won the Japan Open men's singles and doubles title before. Mohd Roslin Hashim won the singles title in 2001 while Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng bagged the doubles crown in 2002 after Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah conceded a walkover in the final.