Footwork Problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dAzEY, Apr 6, 2005.

1. dAzEY

dAzEY Regular Member

hey guys.. i was wondering if you could help me with this problem. everytime when someone drives(kinda lob and drive combined) me to the corner, i tend to do the normal footwork (chasse or cross) but somehow im too slow and i dive for it (shuttle is already 1 metre above my head), forcing me to return a weak lob to the centre and being smashed at, is there anyway to solve this? should i do chasse or cross ( i always trip alot) anyway that i can improve my footwork? without a coach. Thanks

#1 dAzEY, Apr 6, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  2. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

yeah that my finishing move, it's a hard shot to recover, there two option you can try :
    -one practive your lateral movement to get it before it pass your position
    -or if it's too good try a passingshot like in tennis a full power underharm swing to drive it back to the backcourt or vary in a little dropshot.

me, my footwork probleme is to get dropshot. When i serve high, i'm ready but i'm never fast enought to react with my leg, i mean that i need time to get my foward movement like if i needed to back one of my leg to push me in front. I tried to make a little hop just before the opponent hit to get my momentum but it's hard to get hit right each time.

3. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    The whole point of having good footwork , chasse or cross , is to get to the shuttle faster . It really doesn't matter which one you do .

4. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    a fun drill that would definently increase your lateral motion speed is to line up 5 or 6 shuttle cocks at one side of the court, on the doubles or singles boundary line. with the cocks in place, you should be in the middle of the court. try as fast as you can to pick up one shuttle cock at a time and place it on the opposite side of the court until all shuttles are in their corresponding places. time yourself and do it with friends(if you want to). after a couple of times you would notice a speed difference (or atleast i did. :rolleyes: ). hope this helps!

5. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    how many times is a couple of times? i was thinking of doing that.. but its hard to find a place where you wont be bothering people (or looking stupid for that matter) to practice that drill regularly

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's hard enough looking for space and time to practice. You shouldn't let other people's impressions and opinions rob you of the opportunity. When you got a full court by yourself or friends and you're not importunating anybody else, do your drills. You wanna be good on the court? Then you gotta put in the time and effort. If you keep finding little excuses to avoid the drills, then you'll never have time to fulfill your potential. That's if your goal and true intention is to be the best player you can be, otherwise don't waste your time with drills... just play for the fun of it.

7. LeoTheBearMan

Student
    a couple times = until you are fast enough.

it doesnt matter if you look stupid on the court doing the drills. you wont look stupid when you win your match now would you? :rolleyes: ;)

actually anywhere is fine. you just need the width of the court to do the drills. not just this drill but many others that you can probably find on this forum.

8. LeoTheBearMan

Student
    i cant say it better myself. :)

9. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

is the drive sort of like pushing a straight ball to the corner?
    If it is so,practise ur dropping/netting,cause high ball in the front will land you this type of freaking trouble..Also,practise more footwork,it should help

10. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Yes, that drill is a very good drill for side to side movement. Another important thing is you might wanna increase the number of shuttles to 10 and do it up to 3 sets. Badminton is a repetitive game so you need to be able to maintain that high speed for a long time.

11. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

How do you pick them up?? with your hand or your racket?? cause I don't know how to p[ick birdies with my racket when they are on the ground :S

12. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

You pick the birdies with your hand and stack them up on the side of the courts. You can also put the birdies on three sides (front, middle, and back).