problems with friends

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by xx-keeper-xx, Apr 7, 2005.

1. xx-keeper-xx

xx-keeper-xx Regular Member

paintballa and badminton playa
    Im new to badminton, i have only been playing for about 2 months. I play everyday for about an hour. My reason for posting this was to ask all of you guys if you have ever had your friends, or people make fun of you for playing badminton? I recently bought my own racquet, when I arrived at school kids started making fun of me for playing badminton. There are only 10 or 15 kids that play everyday so it's not really popular in our school. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if you could give me some advice on what to do. I love this sport, but it is discouraging and aggravating when kids make fun of me...

thanks

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I know what you're going through and the only thing you can do is ignore them. To them, badminton is only a really simple backyard sport. If the opportunity arises to play badminton during physical education, then just show them how badminton is really played. That's what I did...a couple hard smashes to the face really does make someone think differently. :p Don't do that...it was an accident when I did it...

3. blu_limit

blu_limit Regular Member

true true. i agree with u.. show them that badminton IS a sport lol .. but its hard to play badminton with those that dont think badminton is tough.. cuz they can't return the birdy!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    ... picking up a few birdies is fine but i can't keep scratching my racket head lol .. and why are birdies so :eek: expensive? o.0 wiped out 1/3 of my wallet meh.

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    not a problem in elementary because i didn't really play...
    not a problem in junior high because i didn't take it seriously enough to care... i was still in my "basketball owns all" phase...
    it was sort of a problem in high skewl, but it became ok when i won a bunch of stuff and people who thought badminton was for wusses saw me play... (then they were like :eek: )

overall, it doesn't matter what people think.... afterall, what enjoyment do THEY get from you doing stuff?? it's all about the enjoyment YOU get... so if you enjoy playing badminton, stick with it!

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum im sorry to hear that, where im located badminton is pretty big, when i meet new friends and they find out i play badminton and start to laugh and say that its not a sport and other stuff that i tell them on the court now. so all i do is well if they can clear it i will smash it right at them or i will make them run like crazy and then they usually come around and see things our way but it has not been a big problem. alot of the jocks (football, rugby, etc) all respect badminton and come to watch some times like they did today, same with alot of other students in the school. well all i can say is that if they dont think that badminton is a sport they dont know what their missing out on. and dont let them laugh at you, you play the worlds fastest racquet sport. and if they keep laughing dont even pay attention to them at all just be like w/e and go on with playing, what they say should not matter to you at all.

6. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I know exactly what your going threw, but fortunately I played basketball competitively and also martial arts. 2 ways to do this, tell them to bet money on a game where you play them in singles vs doubles, or if your like me, challenge them to their own sport and own them at that also:D. Usually against the football jocks, they can't do push ups for crap ( because they build up, while we slim down) so I challenge them to that. When I hit 50 they start slowing. I then say how could a weak old badminton player beat such a strong buff football player?:D

7. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

ignore them, i had the same problem in high school, we had only 4 people who played badminton enough for one doubles court but because our gym was small we got discriminated against... since the rest of the school wanted to play badminton, we normally had to stop and give them the court. Well after those days it got better and i have improved a lot since then, all my old oponents who use to be a problem for are not equal if not weaker :p

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

don't pay attention to their garbage, as many others have already said.
    you can't let their ignorance or stubborness get to you. make them play or show them videos and they'll see how much of a sport badminton really is.

besides, you can't worry about what other people say. if you get worked up because of friends who laughed about badminton, you'll be in for a big surprise at what may lie ahead in the future...

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Kids will always be kids... they'll put you down in any way they can, any excuse they can find. If it's not baddy, it's something else. Best to do is shrug them off and do your own thing. If you're serious about the sport and you can handle the peer pressure thing, try to find somewhere else to play and/or find people who share your passion and create your own group. I am sure somewhere in the State of Iowa there's a badminton gym/club. Search online or check your local phone directory.

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    lol. Nah, come on cappy he should have some fun with them. Challenge those jocks 1 v 2 in badminton and stuff!!

When they lift start 'Assassinating' them with your heavenly sword :D:D

11. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Hey Keeper,

You've just got to stick to what you know; you know badminton means something to you, and you know it's fun for you-- that's all that matters in the end. What other people say, they say out of ignorance (because they don't know what they're talking about) or bitterness (because they can't play!) Just remember that you play the game to please yourself and not to please them.

12. Renkinjutsushi

Renkinjutsushi Regular Member

remember that keeper has only been playing for about 2 months, might not be THAT good yet...

my advice is to say to them that if they're really your friends, they should respect you, if not, they shouldn't be your friends... because if their insults are extreme to the point that it hurts your feelings, then tell them to stop because you're friends.

13. floriina

floriina Regular Member

no way, i've actually never had that happen to me before. they know how much i love badminton and if they dare to insult it they die. :)

14. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    I had something like that at one point a few jibes etc 'its not a real sport' a few non friendly looks stopped it at first, however many have 'casually' played and then seen me and others play at national/international level, it soon changed their minds, many are now regretful they didnt take it up at an early age. So i like the look on their faces as they go to their poorly paid early morning saturady jobs while i earn the cash i need coaching a sport i love .....and they are quite jealous