Badminton fever in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Robin (SWE), Apr 9, 2005.

1. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone!:)

I was glad to find this forum about badminton in japan. I'm 20 years old and I have been playing badminton for almost 5 years, unfortunately not for the last 2 years. My level of play is intermediate but since I haven't played for some time I feel I need to start at a lower lever maybe. Hopefully my eagerness to learn will get me up to my previous level in a shorter time period.;)

Being swedish I find it very difficult to find a badminton club here in tokyo which i can join. Because I dont speak japanese I would very much appreciate it if someone could write me a line and tell me a bit about clubs in tokyo. I live in Minato-ku but dont mind traveling a bit.

My previous swedish club consisted of players aging between about 16-35 and about 20-25 attended training regularily. Most people were intermediate level except for the occational new player and the 3-4 "upper level" players.

I would very much like to join a club where I can enjoy regular training and match play with intermediate players. More people, more fun :D

thank you for your time. I'm looking forward to any help

Best regards,
    Robin

2. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi, Robin.:)

I play badminton near Shibuya on Sat. and Sun. night.
    I don't know any badminton clubs in Minato-ku, but some members of our club may know a club in Minato-ku .

Let's join our club and get information from our member.

By the way , I introduce our club.
    place: Nakahara junior high school
    the nearest station:Musasikosugi st. (Tokyu-toyoko line, Tokyu-meguro line, JR Nanbu line)
    time : 18:30-21:00
    level : intermediate or high(a few players are low level )
    member : 20 people / day
    menu : technical training , game

I made this club for peple like you.
    Many people have the period when they don't play badminton .
    I was , too. Becouse I was pregnant.You know, I had no choice.
    And I began to play it 3 months ago. Then I felt I need some traning for playing badminton . Becouse I noticed my muscle had gone ...
    So many people like you comes to our club.

Why don't you join us?

If you have a condition desired for clubs, please teach it.
    And I help to find a good club for you.

When you join us or need my help, please PM me or reply here:)

-Miyuki

3. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    Musasikosugi? I know that place! I used to live in Kajigaya and at Kawasaki monthly mansion (very very near the JR Central Station in Kawasaki). I used take the JR Nanbu line from Kawasaki or Mizonokuchi to Hirama to go to my office.

I wish I was in Japan so that I could play with you guys :) I really miss Japan

Robin just don't forget your manners (respect) when playing with Nihon-jins specially if the elderly ones. Based on experience, they are very easy to get along with but, they tend to be shy. Also try to learn the basic compliments in Japanese (thank you, great!, etc), since most wont elderly Japanese will not speak English even if he/she knows a little English. (Am I correct Miyuki-san?)

Goodluck!

4. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Thank you , sessyargc.:)
    I agree with you . It's a good advice for foreighers who come to Japan.

The manner is important for Japanese, especially for elder people.
    But I know our manner is different from your manner.
    So I tell you some advice about manner only when you are wrong manner;)

Elder Japanese can speak a little English becouse they usually go to foreghin country or have to use English in their office. You know, some elder Japanese stay in foreigh country in shourt periods these days. Especially they like your country , sessyargc. So they want to use English for themselves:D

In fact, many Japanese are shy , even younger Japanese .
    But never mind.
    Actually, they want to have a relationship with foreigers as friends. They don't speak in English as well becouse we have few chance to use English as usual.
    If you comes to our club many times, you can find some good Japanese friends. Especially when you eat and drink with them after badminton:p

I am looking forward to seeing and playing badminton with you, sessyargc.

-Miyuki

5. vmtien

vmtien Regular Member

It's a good idea if we know more about Japanese. I've just come back from Tokyo (12 minutes walking from Hibarigaoka Station), Kyoto. I can see a lot of young people with badminton racquets, i.e high school pupils, in the train. I would love to talk to them about badminton and about their interest in badminton and also ask them if I could play with them. But my friend who lives there, reminds me that it is not common for a stranger asking other about their interests in Japan. But in fact, I found Japanese very friendly, kind and helpful. However, still do not I dare to ask them (as a stranger) about badminton cause I know the only japanese word "Konnichiwa" (I used to wake up at that time when I was there;) ).

Do I do the right thing?

It's a good chance for japanese to practise badminton in comparison with my people cause I can see badminton court in every schools, universities (free of charge for their students).

I would love to play badminton with Japanese. In my country, I have badminton-friends in almost big cities and it's easy to practising whenever I'm there. Hope I can do that in Japan someday.
    VMTIEN

#5 vmtien, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  6. Robin (SWE)

Student
    Club outside Shibuya

Hi Miyuki!:)

Thank you for a quick reply, it really helped. I was glad to read about your club outside Shibuya. It seems like it will take me around 40 min. to get there, which is good.

I like the description of the club too, I find it very fun to be able to play with different people every time. Thank you also for the description on how to get there.

Now I really want to play badminton:D !!

At the moment I dont have a pair of badminton shoes but I will shop for that within the week. Let's hope they have my size... 44-45 European or 11,11,5-12 US size...

I think my racket is quite alright but after some play it would require new strings. So hopefully when we meet at the club you might be able to tell me where I can get it strung if you know anyone who does it well?

I think it will be nice to be in an all-japanese environment when playing badminton. I came to Tokyo in October last year and have been studying japanese full-time since January, so hopefull I'll be able to make some easy japanese konversation;) :) .

I do wonder what language you keep score with? Do you say ni-san or two-three while playing for example? Is there any other important japanese words used while playing badminton? I have so many questions...

When I have gotten my shoes and so I would very much like to join your club. I'm not really sure how to get there form the station though. Is there a shuttle fee or do you pay an annual membership fee or so? I dont mind either.

Befor the end of the month I'll be ready for some badminton action!!:cool: :D
    I will write you again sometime,
    Thank you very much for your help so far.

Good luck on the court!
    kind regards,
    //Robin

7. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi, Robin.

Actually, you have a lot of question.
    I want know your nearest(or convenient) station.
    Becouse I can find a nearer place to play badminton for you.
    And Badminton shop, too.

If you have some time between 2:30 - 3:30 this Saturday, I'll take you a badminton shop in Shibuya and after then I introduce my badminton friends who is a German woman.
    She have been in Tokyo for 5 years.
    I believe that she can give you some good advises about playing badminton in Japan, for example the diference of manner , how to get a good rerationship with Japanse, The most important Japanese words...:D

I give you a usual Japanese(?) words in playing badminton.
    nice SEN : SEN means line .
    you say these words to your partner ;
    when the opposite hit a shuttle near line of your side,
    your partner notice the suttle goes to outside and don't hit it.
    My foreiner friend said to me "good eye" as a same meaning.

TORIMASU : TORIMASU means " I'll hit this suttle"
    When you were at a loss whether you hit a shuttle
    and then you decide to hit it, you use this word.

Anyway, you had better praise your partner for his/her shot when he/she hit a good shot . If so, you can have many Japanese badminton friends:)

And when we count the scores, we use English , for example two three as 2-3.
    We use English in game . 1st service, 2nd service,service over, change ends, fault, in, out, let...you can use English in badminton game;)

It's time for going to bed with my child.
    I 'll give you other answers tomorrow.

OYASUMINASAI(means good night)
    -Miyuki

8. Robin (SWE)

Student
    Hi Miyuki

I have PM'ed you about details for the weekend. Thank you for your help, soon I'll be able to hear that lovely "smack" sound again:D :D
    I haven't played for 2 years...

kind regards,
    //Robin

9. Miyuki

Miyuki Regular Member

Hi, robin

I read your mail in PM.
    I know your nearest station:)
    I tell you about the rest of your question.
    THe cost of joining our club : 800yen/each (non-member)
    500yen/each(member)
    both of them including shuttles fee

We treat you as a non-member in 3 times which you join it.
    When you join it 4 times, we'll treat you as our member.

Place : It is difficult to explain you how to get the place.
    I give you the map;)

I think that I answered about all of question, right?

10. Federball

Federball New Member

Hallo Robin,

I too am quite happy to stumble upon this site. Just returned to Tokyo from a year-long study abroad proagram in Germany where I re-discovered my passion for badminton. I used to play in High School competatively. Now that I'm back in gear I would like to continue playing. Tell me, where do you play now? I'm looking for a place where I can play min. 3 times a week. Did a quick google search and found a pretty cool place near Tamachi (reasonable distance from Hiroo). If you're still in town and interested in playing, drop me a line.
    Best,

Daisuke