differentiating thickness

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by manduki, Apr 10, 2005.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hello, my doubles partner came up with an interesting idea. He asked if gripping a portion of the racket thin and another part thick to give it more power. I told him that it is unrealistic and that I don't really see a purpose in that. I would hate to have given him the wrong information. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for your replies^^:D

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe a lot of ppl actually doing that. When u put grip on the racket, only a small portion of the grip will "over lay" one another, therefore, the "nocovered" spots are thinner than the overlap portion.

3. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    But wouldnt that be too inconsistant and unreliable? How would you measure which parts would be comfortable and actually aid you in your smahses?

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i think what he meant was, for example, gripping the part of the handle closer to the cone thicker than the part of the handle closer to the buttcap, or vice-versa ;) correct me if i'm wrong

to answer the initial question, i'm not sure what the difference would be :(

5. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    i do that! :D but it's mainly becuase i am not good at hands on stuff and i can't curl the grip perfectly lol. but i usually start semi-thick at the bottom, go thinner in the middle, then go thick at the top part where the handle meets the shaft, so that when i do a backhand drive grip there's more cushioning to help my thumb! wonder if that's good anyways :rolleyes:

ting03