Mental Or Physical?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Calasm, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Calasm

Calasm Regular Member

during training i feel really good when im playing.....just a slight bit tired. we also do fitness training for an hour. we do suicides, sprinting, wall sits and ab workout once a week and just suicides about every second day

but when im out playing a tournament (that i need to pay) i feel tired after one game. but during training when im training with people with alot higher level then me ,and i dont feel too tired because of fitness training

is it because im just nervous and my heart is beating faster and im breathing too fast in a tournament.
    or im just not fit enough...??

if im probably nervous is there anything i can do to stop this a little bit?
    (if u need more information on my fitness workout pls ask)

thanx everyone

2. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

It could be combination of both. Let me ask you these questions:

1. Do you play harder at the competition?
    2. Do you have enough sleep before the competition?
    3. Do you keep thinking about the competition and can't focus on something else?
    4. Do you have good appetite before/during the competition?
    5. Is the gym at the competition larger than the gym at your practice? The reason I ask you this is because your shots may not sound as loud as at the smaller gym where you practice, therefore, you may think that you don't hit the shots hard enough, and you keep trying it harder and get tired quicker.

I have played at many tournaments and have some experience that can hopefully help you :)

3. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Have you been warming up before you play in tournaments ?

4. Calasm

Calasm Regular Member

i play a little harder at competition..... but i dont think it should have any comperison to what i do at training.

i have the same amount of sleep as i usually do
    bad apetite before competition :p haha... sometimes i have bread for breakfast and last till 8 at night for supper... i cant feel my stomach when im doing sports.

same gym

i run 35 sprints across the gym and back. (4 courts) sets of 3. 5 minutes in between each set. (sundays) then abdominal workout with partners .... (dont wanna go into detail) 1 hour
    and line running.... similar to sprints except u have to go back. sets of 3 again for about 30 minutes 2-3 week after that we play games

hope that helps :p

thanx gives me some ideas to what i should improve like eating habbits :)
    anything u might wanna add? thanks again!

5. SteveStanley

Hmm, so it doesn't seem like you get too nervous, and you only play a little harder than practice. You need to eat something that's easy to digest before you play, and during the break, you can eat banana or something.

So, once you get tired after the first set, can you still focus and play good in the second set, or no? What happens when you get so tired? Can you still hold it? Because sometimes when I get really tired I get the "second wind" and get my energy back again somehow. But, don't push yourself too much.

Did you ask your coach?
    I still think that it may be the combination of both mental and physical, perhaps you can improve your stamina a little bit, and control your energy while playing, don't force it all in the first set.

6. Calasm

Calasm Regular Member

yea i got to learn to balance my energy levels a bit more.
    eating something sounds like a really good idea too..... small snacks

is there anything i can do to make sure im not nervous
    i do think about my game alot for the whole day

7. SteveStanley

Try to enjoy the game more and forget about losing or winning. Good warm up sometimes helps, too. Also, listen to music that you like before the game, read a humor book see if you laugh :) , etc. If you don't eat the whole day during the competition, that's a sign of nervousness, you probably think about the game too much. Try a few things I mentioned above and see if it helps, everyone is different though. Good luck ... :)

8. Calasm

Calasm Regular Member

haha good idea ;) gives me some thought

i was thinking about this lastnight and i noticed i scissor kick...... way too much during a tournament game forcing me to get there faster. i think that has alot to do with it :p