User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flick Served: Who would you smash at?

When you are flick served, assuming that you have the time, agility and footwork to move backward and smash, who do you think is a better option to smash at,

1) Server or
    2) Server's partner?

99% of my smash will be directed at the server. Guess, it is my instinct to smash at the server cause he deserves to be smashed at cause he gave away the attack so early in the rally.

But, do you guys think that it is better to smash at the server's partner cause the server will be very committed to return my smash since he is the one who gave away the attack. The reason i post this question is because i am trying to counter my instinct and to try to smash at the server's partner in future.

OR, it makes no difference? Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say unpredictability is the most important factor. If you always smash, and always at the server, you'll soon be in trouble - at least if your opponents have any analytical abilities whatsoever.

Vary the placement: straight, diagonal, to the middle.
    Vary the shot selection: smash, drop, attacking clear.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this situation, I prefer a down-the-line smash, rather than a straight or cross-court smash.

If you smash crosscourt (that's where the server should be), then you are vulnerable to a straight lift. Your partner should have moved forward to the net, so YOU have to get the lift. Unfortunately, after a good flick service you are off-balance and will have difficulty reaching the next shot.

It's even worse if the server manages to drive your smash straight, instead of lifting it. If this happens, you've lost the rally.

Smashing to the centre is not so risky, but for the safest angle smash straight down the line. Remember your smash from a good flick serve will be less powerful than your normal smash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    In this situation, I prefer a down-the-line smash, rather than a straight or cross-court smash.
    what about when down-the-line isn't available?
    e.g. service from the even court, and the flick is down the centre of the court (over your backhand for a right-hander)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you watch top level matches, most of the poorer flick high serves are smashed back to the server. The reason is probably to ensure the flight path of the smash is as short as possible knowing that the server cannot react in time. This applies to a poorly executed high flick serve. A server who intends to execute a high flick serve should do so with the aim of soliciting a weak return which he can put away. To do a high flick serve, and then falls back to a defensive position, defeats the purpose of the high flick serve. A good high flick serve will result in either a desparate high return or a meek one, which is the sole objective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flick service to your backhand is more difficult to smash than to your forehand. But ofcouse it is posible.

Like Mag said :
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    I'd say unpredictability is the most important factor.
    I should say : "It depends on the situation on the court". It can't be said that we have to smash to the server or to the server's partner.

If I have to smash, I will smash to the tram/side line of the server.

Should it be a smash ?
    A very sharp drop can be a deadly weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen
    When you are flick served, assuming that you have the time, agility and footwork to move backward and smash, who do you think is a better option to smash at,

1) Server or
    2) Server's partner?

99% of my smash will be directed at the server. Guess, it is my instinct to smash at the server cause he deserves to be smashed at cause he gave away the attack so early in the rally.

But, do you guys think that it is better to smash at the server's partner cause the server will be very committed to return my smash since he is the one who gave away the attack. The reason i post this question is because i am trying to counter my instinct and to try to smash at the server's partner in future.

OR, it makes no difference? Cheers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    what about when down-the-line isn't available?
    e.g. service from the even court, and the flick is down the centre of the court (over your backhand for a right-hander)
    In this situation, a smash down the centre is the safest shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i smash, i smash back at the server's head so that my partner who's moving forward can finish off the weak reply :-D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. i reckon there isn't a best shot then but a variety of them.

However, i sort of concur with Taneepak that in top level matches, most are smashed at the server. Generally, it produces an instant kill. Even if it was returned, it would be a weak reply and my partner would easily finish it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would smach down the middle! Get them confused!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will smash straight at trim line. Proven useful and most likely the return will be a weak one. Not a cross court but a straight one..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wiseman405
    I would smach down the middle! Get them confused!
    That's usually what I do. It's a safe shot. Most of the time, the flick serves are good and I don't have a real choice to choose where I want to smash it so smashing center is the easiest and safeist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I agree. I also like hitting right down the middle after a serve. I love those racquet clashes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

down the tram cuz its fastest.
    down the middle because its confusing.
    or drop it, because its safest. they have to lift and i'll be in the back anyway from intercepting their serve, so i won't be all out of place, leaving my partner alone to fend for himself.

its almost always one of those three, depending on how i feel and who i'm playing with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicken: good post, good advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If gaining the advantage is our focal point when returning a flick serve, only a smash can gain that or even return of service, flick serves are often quite delicious to prey on if not placed accurately in a small and dangerous part of the court, the consequences of an inaccurate flick serve can and should be felt if you have the chance to smash a return winner. These are the shots im praying for, so if it's there, take it. The matter of where to, depends on what you find pressures your opponent the most. I find for me, most success comes from the servers body/backhand-side. The server often plays the smash defense, but have to defend a lot of court (and are commited deeply with an aggressive smash coming their way, the toughness of the server's court coverage defense on a smash is his foremost concern, when a smash exposing weak points of opponents
    !) the server won't maneuver a fancy return shot very easily (pending on the strength of your smash), creating offensive oppurtunities often.
    !!) the server has a very tough defensive shot to make if defending their body with their backhand, the reaction and ability to extend your elbow in a defensive maneuver is one of the toughest shots on the body.
    !!!) the server is a perfect target to aim for, lines are smaller and you don't wanna spear it out, happens a lot if the simplest of error in your footwork or swing.

If successful in practice with this return of flick service, you can control a lot of momentum and play aggressively the first few shots try to gain the point early with your return smash and follow up, with control, as to not be overrun a possible backcourt smash return. If troubled with a flick serve all i count on is not losing the point on my return, thats it, but if drops are your butter, give r'. n_n

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would smash down the line so it is confusing for the duo. Lol.

Or I would also smash at the server, because he might not be in ready position that quickly. His partner would be ready so not a good idea to smash to him/her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast