User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that this should be a conversation had between doubles partners. IMO this doesn't happen nearly enough. If you play doubles you will get flick-served, so talk about it. If the flick is low or weak I would smash back at the server - as aggressively as possible. I don't want him doing it again and if I've intimidated him sufficiently well he will only serve low and I can attack that much better.

A good flick-serve out wide is a difficult thing to deal with as the server should move into an attacking position. A drop would have to be very tight or taken very early to gain an advantage. Smashing down the tramline is a good option but the receiver must remain relaxed and concentrate on getting the shutle down as steeply as possible. A flat smash is vulnerble to a straight block, handing the advantage to the servers side, or a fast crosscourt over the receivers partner.

The decision is either to smash down the middle (making it likely that the servers side will hit the shuttle to my forehand. In this situation my partner can move into a channel attacking position with a fair amount of confidence that the opposition won't cross-court him) or smash down the tramline (which opens up a few more options for the servers side and permits them the option to play straight or cross-court). Hitting down the tramline means the receivers partner would have to take up a less attacking position to cover the cross-court. The receiver therefore has to cover the majority of the length of one tramline.

On balance I would suggest a smash into the servers partners body or just inside their position in order to maximise the chances of bringing the receivers partner into the game - hopefully to hit a netkill from a straight defensive shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My trainer mostly insists (i guess because of the system we play) to smash mostly to the middle line, and i found this is a good technique.

either they both cant reach it, or they are doubting who is hitting it... and more important, the return can never be trickier than when you smash to the line.... And another advantage: when they are not besides wachother but 1 is covering the net and one the rear, a smash through the middle will be extremely hard for the front player to return (as they have a very little reaction time etc).

Hope this works,

Greetings,

Rion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default can you do it?

Wrist smash down the straight tram. Generally a wrist smash will give you a steep angle because it carries less pace. Servers partner is standing slightly back, so his scramble is a lift or yucky drop to your partner who has moved into the net.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yh, Stick smashes or 'wrist smashes' Are very effective if you can play them well. My frined can ply them very well and he gets lots of power from them, and when i have tried doing them i find that it is a smash that you can play from anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed... its a shot no good player can afford to overlook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i have to agree with you there. But seriously it is a really good shot. Any beginners reading this thread, Remember to ask your coach about a wrist smash or a stick smash .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2