User Tag List

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Super~ME!
    ...hmm...here's my suggestion...sorry if it's been said already, but i haven't had time to read all the posts...anyway...here it goes...
    ...basically everyone here knows how badminton is perceived by the public in North America as a "wussy backyard sport". We've also seen those cheap badminton/volleyball sets that they sell in places like walmart and stuff. another thing is, most of us badminton players are quite opposite from the current basketball player attitude such as being really repulsive and "do whatever you want" kind. we don't go around and act like we don't care about anything. most of us are the kind that probably care bout our grades and stuff...well...us badminton students anyways. but i was thinking, since summer vacation is coming up and there are going to be so many people outdoors, why don't some of us get together, pitch in, and buy one of those cheap badminton sets. after, go to the beach or park or wherever people are on a busy day, set up, use your own racquets and birds (maybe not the best you've got, but something that is pretty "usable"), and play your butts off.

...doing this isn't really to show off, but to show people what badminton's really like...some macho guys from the beach will probably walk by and laugh at you just for setting up a cheap badminton net and playing. but after you get warmed up, show them what its really like. if you've got enough time, maybe even draw lines out and start a game. soon enough, the sounds from smashes and clears will draw a crowd and spectators as people walk by, and this'll hopefully convince people that badminton isn't what they thought it was, and try it out. actually...maybe if you're nice enough, let people try out the game for themselves for a few rallies...with so many of us throughout canada and the us, there's probably enough of us to show a lot of people how "not backyard" badminton really is... ...who knows?...maybe we don't really need Yonex that much...yet.
    hey great idea mate... show it off to the public

You should post your idea to another thread in this forum "What would you want to improve Badminton" posted by Smiley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only if the cost of the shuttlecock can be reduced .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FEND.
    mmm.

Firstly, the misconception that badminton is a backyard sport must be killed. IMHO isn't tennis more of a backyard sport? I mean you can play on the grass (lawn courts) and stuff? But can you play badminton outdoors with the wind blowing your shuttle left right and center? lol
    You can't play tennis on random grass lawns. The spins on the ball won't work well if the grass courts aren't maintained correctly. It's just as hard to play tennis in the wind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps hollywood should make a movie whether as topic or big mess of it to get attention..with the big international stars and on the trailers...show off to the masses the fantastic shots (OUT OF THIS WORLDLY) that players are capable of....repetitively as in first time viewers will see it and say "Holy Sh*t..you can do that?!" and yes...we do it fairly regularly

remember the WW2 soccer movie with pele? michael caine and sly stallone? they did feature int'l stars also...i think it helped promote a lot to the rest of the world(VICTORY 1981 movie)

or at least plant a few badminton playing scenes in movies with the FANTASTIC SHOTS!!!

am pretty sure lots of actors is game for it..didnt we read paul newman,dicaprio and jet li playing?

here in the philippines..many many actors/actresses are playing it regularly....so it becomes a hit faster with the masses...also universities is starting to get serious with their teams...thus more young kids are motivated to play
    Last edited by badplayer2004; 05-26-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=taneepak]I think Yonex or for that matter many others know about the North American market potential. I think they are wise not to throw money down the drain. Their investments are based on very sound principles. The money-investments-go where there is an established market. QUOTE]

I am confused on why Yonex not responsible for the Promotion of Badminton Sport??
    It "owns" larges portions of the badminton sports and Racquets

Yonex sales of 32,915 million (32,915/110 = $299.2 million USD) , Please tell me who provide say 1 million USD to the price of badminton competition??

Data from March 2005 financial report (Yonex is a public trade company, )
    Page 9: Line 2
    Company Net sales of 33,318 million Yen (+5.3% year on year) Profit 2774 Million Yen
    Page 9:Line5
    Sporting Goods division
    Net sales of 32915 million Yen ,Operationg income of 2717 million Yen

Where Yonex spend money
    Page 7 line 5
    Compensation
    13 directors : 125 million yen
    3 dutitor : 9 million yen
    Dirctors : annual payment 220 million yen
    Autirors : annual payment 30 million yen
    Page 16
    Capital reserves 2005 7,483,439,000.00 yen
    Retained earnings begin 2005 19,736,203,000.00 yen
    Increase retained earnings net income 1,314,397,000.00 yen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Congratulations to Tony & Howard for winning WC2005 MD Title

As I mentioned in my previous posts in this thread, this is a very good start to popularity of badminton in the USA. Media, US Government, Yonex are now opening their eyes, brains and more importantly, their wallets, to boost this sport. The WC2005 MD title won by Howard and Tony is a solid proof to the US nation that badminton is no backyard game played by ladies on sunday afternoon.

WELL DONE USA BADMINTON TEAM. KEEP IT UP & GOING !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050822...AwBHNlYwM3NTU-

IBF wants women shuttlers to add some fashion appeal 2 hours, 41 minutes ago

ANAHEIM, United States (AFP) - The International Badminton Federation is calling on its female athletes to wear more glamorous outfits, complaining that the traditional style of dress is too old fashioned.

Speaking during the finals of the World Championships in Anaheim on Sunday, IBF deputy president Punch Gunalan said he wished the women shuttlers would dress more like Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova.

"We are too old fashioned," Gunalan said. "Nowadays the girls are becoming a little better dressed.

"We need to be in the fashion world. So we would like to see players wear more appealling clothes to the public. By appealling I mean use it for everyday use. So when people walk around they would want to wear it.

"Unfortunately we ar¥e far away from that. Let's take Maria Sharapova. Look at her tank tops. It is pretty."

New Zealand bronze medallist Sara Runesten-Petersen said she is in favour of anything that will attract more fans to the sport as long as it isn't forced on them.

"I wouldn't mind it. I can't wear skimpy tops because of my shape but some of the girls have beautiful bodies so there is nothing to hide," Runesten-Petersen said.

"Lots of girls wear skirts and skimpy tops why not when they play sports?

"I wouldn't want to play in just a bra but a (tank) top is fine.

"Why not when you are a girl, look like a girl. But it should be up to the individual and not enforced."

Olympic champion Zhang Ning, of China, said has no objection as long as it is done tastefully.

"It is acceptable to me," said top seed Zhang. "The tank top is alright, just not the string top."

Men's singles champion Taufik Hidayat, of Indonesia, said flashier outfits are "a good idea."

The IBF's attempt to popularize the game to a larger audience was evident by the use of scantily-clad cheerleaders during the breaks between matches on Sunday at the Arrowhead Pond arena.

"Our target is to promote the game to the audiences," Gunalan said.

Gunalan said he is talking to clothing manufacturers like Adidas and Yonex about coming up with some new ideas.

"There is too much monopoly right now for one company, Yonex. We need to get companies like Reebok, Nike and Adidas involved," Gunalan said.
    ---------------------------------------------

i didnt knew gunalan is so fashion tuned
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, to expediate popularity with shortcut like modifying fashion, it helps a bit as s_x sell so to speak. However, IBF shouldn't rely on it too heavily. We know golf is popular and golfers wear pretty tame apparels. In tennis, i find men's badminton top and shorts are more flashier than men tennis players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the comment about Nike, Addidas and Reebok kinda funny actually. I mean, sure, if they got into badminton, that'd be great because they're huge companies with the financial and historical backing to make drastic changes on the current situation.

You know, most of the time, it's some sorta badminton federation who is encouraging the pushing here in Canada. Usually it's done through tournaments or a few dedicated badminton places... but lets say, here in montreal, most badminton groups (clubs) are a ragtag bunch with no central mind. Basically, it's free courts for anyone.

While court time may definately appeal to existing players, finding the next generation players is indeed a lot about marketing. I don't want to get into the whole ***-sells issue, but lets just say that I think in large part the primary source for parents finding a sport for their kids, that being the sports store ("What am I gonna get Johhny or Julie for her birthday?") need to get their acts together if they want to promote this kinda thing. There are a lot of parents out there (the kind who don't really play sports, or who maybe played something when they were younger) who really do just walk into a store and sorta browse. If all the advertissments are for soccer, basketball, baseball, etc... what can we expect?

Locally here in montreal, Sports Experts publishes this little free 'sports magazine', and this month's issue actually had a 3-page article about badminton! It's a great start. Unfortunately, the people who put together the section in my opinion don't know all that much... for example, they had a photo of prep position for a short forehand serve ... and a SEPARATE photo for the prep position of the long forehand serve. (Lol, it's the SAME THING!)

But anyway, I digress... my point is that the other sports in north america especially are already in cycles of marketing-- the tournaments are out there, they are on television, in the newspapers, so people want to buy into those sports, so the stores carry it and thus you have advertissments all around from different stores competing for the client to get gear from their shop.

Badminton's problem in north america is that it's got a broken cycle at best. We have the tournaments, yes-- but the television coverage isn't there, so the layman's impression of badminton is still 'backyard style'-- and so what's the incentive to buy into it? And without inventive, how is the store supposed to make any money, what's THEIR incentive to advertise badminton more? And without more marketing on the storefront, awareness is just so-so, and badminton ends up being that section of the wall with a bunch of rackets that none of the employees know anyhting about.

In that sense, maybe you do need someone like Addidas, Nike, Rebok, whatever. Maybe not to make rackets, but lets say shirts or shoes... or hell, if a phone company like Rogers can sponsor tennis (what's the relationship between Tennis and telecommunications?) what's the diff? Just like what's the relationship between F1 cars and beer? Lol.

I agree that we need yonex to push the bar, but at the same time, I don't think we should rely on them. I'm not saying this from the perspective of monopolies or whatever, just the general opinion that it's usually bad to rely on any one entitiy for everything because then there is a lot of stagnance in terms of innovation.

In my opinion, events like those "Knight To Remember" tourneys by Black Knight are the kind of thing that people should be doing... Yonex in my opinion doesn't do enough to get the next generation players out, they tend to in my eyes be the sponsors for the greats. Anyone can try and sponsor a great player. That's the thing about commercial entities-- they want it for the marketing benefits.

But what I want to see is a company that will do community stuff, a company that will sponsor even the BAD players. (Within reason of course.) I just mean all those schools out there, high school level, college level, whatever, the levels where players are picking up a racket for the first time. Too many companies have too much emphasis on making killer players-- when, i think, they may have a lot to gain if they were to tailor more to try and attract a 'home crowd' first off.

All those supersports out here right now, they started off small too-- basketball started in a plain gym with a fruit basket. Yadd yadda. The problem with badminton in north america is that in most cases it hasn't had the chance to have that 'childhood', and yet, the companies are trying to push the mature image right off the bat.

In asia, this may be possible... but north america is a different ballpark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, making clothing more everyday friendly would be the ABSOLUTE BEST IDEA for advertising badminton.

We all know basketball players and fans walk around wearing basketball jerseys and the same goes for football and hockey fans. Why not make it easier for badminton fans to walk around in badminton clothing? Particularly donning the colours of China perhaps and even having "D Lin" on the back

The idea of changing badminton clothing to have more everyday appeal is the greatest idea in terms of American advertisement. I'm very glad that article was brought upon me.

I'm gonna remake another thread and point this out because I find that it is VERY important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i agree with you sir!!!!

it is true!!! badminton is not likes any big earner sport that attract big name sponsor you have mention, like here in our place and i consider it before i learn the true sport for me, its girly games and childs backyard games which i definitely disagree now i fell sorry now for my self that i learn it almost later of my age..
    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    (this is also posted in the front page)

We badminton fans just have to admit it, badminton isn’t a widely popular sport. In many parts of the world, most people do not know anything about badminton, or even worse in the US, where many still believe that badminton is just a backyard sport down there with crocket, played by old ladies in a Saturday afternoon.

But it doesn’t stop many fans from dreaming that badminton one day will become like tennis, where the runner-up of a major tournament earns more than the total prize money of the most high ranked badminton tournament; one day when badminton courts are dense sprinkled everywhere in town like basketball hoops; one day when people in school thinks badminton is the coolest sports and sports departments don’t schedule badminton in the leftover timeslots.

What does one need to do to make the rest of the world understand that badminton is just as tough a sport as any other?

The problem with badminton is that it is currently stuck in a popularity vicious cycle. Let me explain. Popularity isn’t driven by the inherent property of the sport alone, if so, then slow and sleep inducing sports like baseball would’ve fallen off the planet a long time ago (apologies to all baseball fans, but it is true).

Popularity is mainly driven by marketing and media. Big corporations are the ones who have the ability to push a sport into mainstream. In the US, billions of dollars every year are spent on advertising and sponsoring major professional sports tournament. With this amount of money, it is possible to push these sports into every corner of the country, and every corner of the world.

However, companies don’t spend money when they don’t get results. They are prepared to pour so much into these professional sports because the sports themselves are vastly popular. Every year in March a sizeable portion of the US population are stuck in front of the TV watching the SuperBowl, and sometimes with brand new big sized TV bought for that purpose. This is how popularity attracts money.

So as you can see, for a sport to be popular, you need money, for a sport to be able to command big sponsorship money, you need to be popular. This is the vicious cycle that badminton is stuck in. Badminton is neither popular, nor rich.

So how can badminton break out of this cycle? Well, we can make badminton popular, or pour a lot of money into badminton. Or both.

Popularity is difficult to change. Frankly, Badminton isn’t as unpopular as one may think, in some country, badminton is very popular, the recent rise in the Philippines is one example. And there are indications that overall badminton popularity is on the up trend. Up trend it may be, it is starting at a very low level. Having said that, badminton is not popular is much of the western world, especially in North America. If badminton suddenly break out in the US and Canada, it will very quickly spread to many parts of the world.

And the next issue, is money. Many major corporations like Nike and Coca Cola spends a lot of money sponsoring the various professional sports in the US. None of them will give badminton a look because badminton isn’t popular. There are many small companies who would sponsor small events like local tournaments, but those do not have the market reach beyond the already existing badminton community.

We need a big corporation that has an intimate interest in badminton, and one who will be willing to pour in money. Yes, you get it, we need Yonex.

Yonex has long enjoyed being the leader in badminton equipment. Go to any local badminton gym and you will find Yonex equipment used more than any other brands. But lately, Yonex is starting to feel a lot of pressure from smaller badminton brands. Many emerging manufacturers, especially ones based in Taiwan and China are starting to gain popularity. They offer badminton equipment of comparable quality at a lower price. Evidence we have gathered shows that Yonex’s yearly badminton equipment output has stayed constant while these small manufacture floods the market. In other words, Yonex’s market share is falling. Existing market isn’t going to grow by much, Yonex needs to find new market to break into.

It is true that Yonex does put money into the sport. Every year Yonex sponsors most of the top national teams, in fact, most of the best badminton players in the world are Yonex sponsored. Yonex also sponsors numerous major Grand Prix tournaments like the Japan, All England, US, Singapore. However, the money spent here are still within the bounds of the badminton world. These sponsorship does not serve the purpose of breaking into large markets like the US. 99.99% of the US population do not know the Badminton US Open existed.

To be able to break into this market, Yonex needs to pour money into a major marketing campaign. If no one hears about it, if no one learns of it, no one will pay badminton any attention. Give badminton mass media exposure to let the rest of the world know about badminton. We need a marketing company like the one they used for the XFL, the XFL was a great marketing success, XFL itself was a flop because it has no substance. Badminton has substance. If we can market badminton to attract so much media attention and curiosity, badminton will surely spring into an overnight success.

It will cost a lot of money, but it is a risk that Yonex must take, if it pays off, they will be the front runner and the financial benefit will be huge given the size of the US market. Everybody will be holding a Yonex racket. Yonex’s badminton sale will no longer stay constant but instead grow continuously.

But it has to be done right. We must educate sports fans that badminton isn’t a backyard sport, we must package the sport appropriately to attract viewers. When word starts to spread, we will soon see badminton rise out of its backyard status into the mainstream.

We just need Yonex to kick start this, and our dream will come true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20
    I Would say we do need Yonex, but more to the point we need a rival to Yonex.

The Virtually monopoly Yonex have on badminton is, IMO not good for the development of the sport. It needs a rival to yonex to start challenging for sponsorship of a big event. This will encourage Yonex to be more focussed, and increase the amounts of money they put in to tournaments. This in turn will encourage the two (or three) competitors to try get more media coverage of their event. This will raise the profile of events, and overall of badminton.

At the moment, Yonex are not under pressure to increase the media coverage, as they dont need to as market share is rising. If a competitor, say apacs, sotx, winex, fleet, etc... sponsor an event and get some media coverage, yonex will be forced to improve coverage of their events.

IMO we need yonex, yes, but not as the monopoly on the game it is now.
    I agree. we do need a rival for yonex, because those kind of conflicts are what teenagers often talk about these days. Badminton can begin either bad or good, because some sports are raised from rumours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that badminton shouldnt get bigger becuz wen it gets bigger u wont feel as unique wen u play it. when i play badminton i feel unique and i feel proud of being able to play badminton. but wen it gets bigger u wont have that feeling anymore and ull just be part of the crowd. so i think it shouldnt get as big

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF we can get major players in the sports apparrel/equipment scene to get more involved then things might take off for badminton. Imagine Nike or Addidas heavily promoting it using their multimillion/billion dollar marketing strategies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samtruong200
    i think that badminton shouldnt get bigger becuz wen it gets bigger u wont feel as unique wen u play it. when i play badminton i feel unique and i feel proud of being able to play badminton. but wen it gets bigger u wont have that feeling anymore and ull just be part of the crowd. so i think it shouldnt get as big
    That's a terrible thing to say. Yes I understand what you mean by being unique in a crowd by playing badminton. But don't you wish that badminton's popularity is much bigger than it is now? Our image as badminton players is shot because people generally don't know what we play and its difficulty. We're ridiculed in some cases. If there was a larger audience, then we'd have a more competitive market in terms of equipment. We'd be able to watch badminton on TV as well and not have to shy away to our computers to watch a wee-bit of streaming in the middle of the night. And because we're such badminton addicts, in the future should badminton become popular, we'd already be masters at this game and light years ahead of newbies.

Anyway, you just have to think of all the things badminton could have if it is popular. The type of environment you live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i kno but i still think that badminton shouldnt be getting any bigger. wen it gets bigger then more conpetition and dats just harder for me and when you get good it doesnt even mean anythin anymor cuz theres ull just be put into another group

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samtruong200
    yea i kno but i still think that badminton shouldnt be getting any bigger. wen it gets bigger then more conpetition and dats just harder for me and when you get good it doesnt even mean anythin anymor cuz theres ull just be put into another group
    No offense intended ok? I don't know about you but for me, that's what makes sports so exciting. It is many things for many people. For the competitive type - it is the chance to be better, the chance to rise above your current level and reach the next level, to reach the best level you can achieve, and for those who are not in it for the competition - taking part in sports is a form of relaxation/stress release, a way to stay healthy and fit and also a chance to hang out and develop friendship and camaraderie.

If your objections against badminton getting bigger are 1) it makes you less unique and 2) makes it harder for you, then it really shouldn't matter to you very much if Badminton gets bigger because 1) you can always find a sport that is obscure and therefore make you unique as one of the only few to know about it and play it. 2) you can always play with weekend athletes or beginners, that way you will always have an easy time playing against them and also, you will never run out of people to play with because with badminton getting big, there will be more and more people trying it out, no shortage of beginners for you to play against.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast