User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems everyone gets pretty excited, and I don't want to spoil it. However, the current status for badminton might further delay our dream to be true in quite a few years (if not decades).

All the nations have their pride, no one wants to see his/her own national team get trashed in the world championship etc. However, more or less, badminton is already being labeled as an "Asian sport" due to various reasons: body structure, government support, etc. Many Asian nations are heavily rely on the "small balls" (i.e. badminton, table tennis, bowling, etc) to generate medals in Olympics, as they can't compete with the western macho men or women in a lot of sports such as soccer, basketball, racing, etc. On the other side, many wealthy western nations have enough # of events to support to gain their pride in big events, therefore, 1 or 2 more or less don't get enough attention easily.

As for US, the Asian / European immigrants usually live in big metro area. Such places usually lack of budget and facility to support badminton (compare with "easier" ones such as basketball). Then, the places with cheaper estate renting rate usually does not have enough badminton population to be noticed (i.e. South East, Mid West, etc).

This is going to be a tough task, and takes time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this subject is more complicated than it seem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    I think this subject is more complicated than it seem
    OMG Cooler!
    Why did you erase the joke!
    I was a god gold collar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow very well put. The only problem I see is that many people will still have the misconception that badminton is a wimpy sport even after watching or listening about it. It's sad to say this but alot of people are still ignorant about this sport. In class i've heard my classmates making fun of a person during our district badminton tournament about how passionate the player was, and let me quote them saying this "It's just Badminton... why does he have to go insane like that?". I personally wanted to smash every single one of them in the face with a shuttlecock but I stopped myself before i got in trouble. I hope within the next 10 years badminton will break into the North American market. I'll be one of the thousands of people wanting for this to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    OMG Cooler!
    Why did you erase the joke!
    I was a god gold collar
    it was more appropriate under the joke section.
    reading lazybuddy post about mis-stereotyping badminton as an asian sport, i thot about mis-stereotyping other sports as well

too bad the westerners think it's an asian sport when badminton was founded in england, by an english fella, dominated by non asian for more than 50 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azn_havok
    In class i've heard my classmates making fun of a person during our district badminton tournament about how passionate the player was, and let me quote them saying this "It's just Badminton... why does he have to go insane like that?". I personally wanted to smash every single one of them in the face with a shuttlecock but I stopped myself before i got in trouble. I hope within the next 10 years badminton will break into the North American market. I'll be one of the thousands of people wanting for this to happen.
    Yes, I feel EXACTLY THE SAME. Because in Canada, we have a "sport" called Curling that hogs up 90% of the sports channels. Now not to offend viewers of curling, but we REALLY could use a different sport because 90% of the viewers couldn't care less about curling.

It's strange though, although ping pong is a difficult and amazing sport itself, the American market recognizes it's difficulty and how godly some players may be and yet they are clueless to badminton.

I think that what we need is airing of badminton more on TV. If we air during primetime, during times when there are lot of viewers but not necessarily prime time (for example: March or "Spring" Break in North America), then we can break into the market easier because most people would take a week off work or school at this time. Since there will still be lots of people at home watching TV, they will definitely catch their eyes on badminton.

The other potential problem with badminton's popularity that relates to Yonex's lack of support for the support in North American media is that it is NEVER aired. Honestly, NEVER. During the past week of the Japan Open, there was not a HINT of badminton in the news, in a TV guide, on the web, no nothing of badminton. We don't even have a stupid channel that is willing to air badminton at all. That is the #1 killer. We don't have publicity. I'd like to point out that even satellite TV in North America doesn't show TV channels farther than from Europe. Even then, they don't show the European sports channels either.

I'd like to point out also that Fox Sports World is one of the reasons why North American market is so limited in its view. All they air all day long is soccer (european football) or rugby. The problem here, is that North Americans would then believe that the only other sports around the world that other countries play are soccer and rugby. For crying out loud, this is a "Sports World" channel and all they air are 2 sports that are played in predominantly foreign "white" nations. By this argument I refer to the fact that it SHOWS NOTHING of Asian sports. It displays a sense of sports in Europe and Oceania, but what happened to everything in between? Why absolutely nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember last year i went down to the states and i went to a sports store to look for badminton equipment, and i couldn't find any so i asked a store clerk and he was like "badminton raquet? Whats a badminton raquet?" lol i left immediately afterwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kam
    This year's World Championships will be held in US. And I also heard from the forum that Nike is going to design a badminton shoe. Are these turning points where the vicious circle is beginning to roll into a snowball?
    Good points, Kwun but I think one of the things that is missing (at least in terms of generating interest in the N. America) is that the US could not dominate the sport. If in the upcoming WC, we get a US player to win the title, the media will converge on the sport like vultures and the big companies will follow with their sponsorships and the kids will have a role model to follow, the National body will get more funding to popularize the sport, etc.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen anytime soon and the cycle of minimum funding and interest will continue.

If IBF is smart, they will let the Americans win one championship so that the US media will make a fuss about it and entice big corporation to pour money in and then we can "balance" the scales again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default joke time!!

most people think badminton is a wimpy sport because no on gets hurt or injured during games as much as other american sport such as hockey or football....i guess american like to see people get hurt or violence in their sports...maybe we can put a bit more weight to the shuttlecock or make the heavier end of the shuttlecock to be pointy so that the reciever can bleed (to death even) when being hit by it from the opponent's smash

P.S. no need to get mad plz i'm writing this cuz i'm bored and it just popped in my head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ageed that Yonex should step up to propelling badminton forward internationally. However, it doesn't mean that other brands shoould sit back and watch the world leader in badminton equipment do all the work. In Toronto, namely, the areas I played in middle school, the ONLY brand of badminton known to anybody was Black Knight, which is based in Canada conveniently. BK should take initiative and advertise badminton in Canada. This will no doubt get the United States involved along with Yonex. Black Knight and Yonex will be North America's first steps to making badminton a world renowned sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hahahalol
    most people think badminton is a wimpy sport because no on gets hurt or injured during games as much as other american sport such as hockey or football....i guess american like to see people get hurt or violence in their sports...maybe we can put a bit more weight to the shuttlecock or make the heavier end of the shuttlecock to be pointy so that the reciever can bleed (to death even) when being hit by it from the opponent's smash

P.S. no need to get mad plz i'm writing this cuz i'm bored and it just popped in my head
    If it were heavier and sharp, it might cut your string when you hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm.

Firstly, the misconception that badminton is a backyard sport must be killed. IMHO isn't tennis more of a backyard sport? I mean you can play on the grass (lawn courts) and stuff? But can you play badminton outdoors with the wind blowing your shuttle left right and center? lol

Mag's comments about yonex is also particularly interesting... suppose there was a company like Yonex which produces badminton equipment of comparable quality and sponsors tournaments locally (in USA) as well as abroad... would this change? But then back to Mag's point, it is probably due to Yonex marketting techniques that other brands have become smaller and less recognised as a big company is probably 'cause Yonex has 'the biggest market share now.... hence no other company can step up to the plate anymore.... Carlton used to be able to do that but I don't wanna talk about them now...

Lots of good comments...

Anyways out of topic, how would you guys react if lets say we at Bcentral just form a company to produce badminton apparel and equipment and earn some hardcore $$$ and start promoting badminton? Or am I just dreaming of the impossible...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FEND.
    mmm.

Firstly, the misconception that badminton is a backyard sport must be killed. IMHO isn't tennis more of a backyard sport? I mean you can play on the grass (lawn courts) and stuff? But can you play badminton outdoors with the wind blowing your shuttle left right and center? lol

Anyways out of topic, how would you guys react if lets say we at Bcentral just form a company to produce badminton apparel and equipment and earn some hardcore $$$ and start promoting badminton? Or am I just dreaming of the impossible...
    yes the misconception of badminton being just a "backyard sport" has to be destroyed. it is simply nowhere near the truth. you cant play badminton in your backyard, unless theres absolutely 0 wind.

we can form a BC baddy company but that will probably happen after kwun wins a lottery and gets us enough money... but who knows? maybe some of our members are rich

personally i believe Yonex has enough power to bring badminton up to where all the other sports are, but its a very big risk, and being a company (i.e. $$ first), it is unlikely they are going to do that. It would involve too much investment in such a gamble. i sure hope they consider it though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in all fairness Yonex has contributed much to the promotion of badminton worldwide.

Imagine if Yonex has not been around, do you seriously think that badminton would have advanced further? Yonex used to have European competitors, and Cooler has reminded that the West dominated world badminton for about 50 years before the East entered the competition. Just go back to the early history of the then undisputed world championships, the All-England, and you'll understand what I mean.

Yonex did not start off as a monopoly. Instead its success is largely due to its ability to satisfy the needs of an ever-demanding badminton public with its products and services, standards of which have to keep on improving. And we should be thankful that Yonex is giving something back in the form of sponsorships and prize-monies. Don't forget that many of the IBF GP events are sponsored by Yonex!

However, it does not mean that competition for Yonex is not welcomed. We all accept that competition is good for everybody, particularly the consumer. Therefore it is disappointing that even the highly competitive US sports companies are unable to give Yonex a good fight. And to think that badminton has such an early headstart in the US than most of the countries in the East! We have heard many excuses, including the myth that badminton is a 'sissy' sport, there is no famous role-model, etc.

The IBF has worked hard to bring badminton onto the world sporting map when badminton at long last made it to the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. Many changes have taken place since then and more recently, concrete steps have been taken to popularize the sport even further with the introduction of international training centers, etc. The aim is to help produce more champions in as many continents as possible, not just Asia. But the IBF alone cannot change world opinion in accepting badminton as being on par with the other more popular sports. The badminton agencies of the various member countries have to play a part in promoting the sport, in attracting sponsorships, in cajoling the mass media, especially TV, to help publicize the game.

I agree that it is much easier for rich countries to market and promote their products and services than poor countries. With the help of the US after WWII, Japan began its successful reconstruction of its industries and became a first world country like many in the developed West, much faster than expected. So it is not surprising that Yonex, being a Japanese company, is able to compete with the best in the industry. However, it is also quite sad that Japan is not considered a superpower in badminton in the same class as China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Denmark and South Korea, although from time to time, extraordinary players do appear. Maybe because of this, badminton is not as popular as some other games despite the fact that Yonex is World No.1 badminton equipment provider.

Since the US, the world's richest country, is unwilling and not doing much for badminton, neither do other well-off European countries, it must now left to up-and-coming economic powerhouse, China, to do the job. In a way it is a natural process for China to take up the mantle as they are virtually the current world No.1 badminton nation. Favourable conditions during the past decade have enabled China to attain economic growth by an average double-digit figure and China is still growing. Chinese companies have expanded to become multi-million/billion dollar corporations and are ambitious to test the world market with higher standards of workmanship, etc. Some of them will eventually compete with foreign companies to capture a share of the more lucrative market.

With rising incomes for both individuals and corporations in a new China, greater consumer spending is to be expected and people's living standards should improve further. The domestic consumer market will grow to become even bigger! And badminton there being very popular, therefore the market for badminton products and services in China should be very good indeed. Success tends to breed more success, so China may well open up the entire badminton avenues for both local and foreign companies to compete for the badminton dollar. Yonex will then find it hard to hold fast to its monopolistic position. Hopefully, this will rub off to other countries, especially the US, and then we may see the rise of badminton as a world sport sooner rather than later!

Yes, I think China can be the catalyst for the revival and upliftment of world badminton!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winstonchan
    Then you will see Coca-Cola, Omega, Rolex, Ferrari......... queueing up for adverts deals with Lin Dan, Camilla Martin, etc...etc...etc....
    LOL, then LD or Camilla will drink Coca Cola during break, wear a Rolex Daytona when playing and drive Ferarri to the Opens....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is everyone buying tennis shoes and shorts, wear replicas David Beckham Soccer tee shirts but do not play the sports?

Why no free TV broadcasts or at least some video clips of the recent opens?

Why CNA will broadcast and broadcast the tennis matches? Is it such an in thing? Or is it just an elite sports and everyone is trying to buy a piece of the action?

And so sorry to say, if BEACH VOLLEY can make it to the Olympics, why badminton is still considered by many as a backyard sports? Now, how many of you go and play beach volleys other than you go to the beaches for holidays? And why and when is Beach Volley a popular sports? Isn't it some kind propaganda by someone or countries? It is just not fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armortec800
    Why is everyone buying tennis shoes and shorts, wear replicas David Beckham Soccer tee shirts but do not play the sports?

Why no free TV broadcasts or at least some video clips of the recent opens?

Why CNA will broadcast and broadcast the tennis matches? Is it such an in thing? Or is it just an elite sports and everyone is trying to buy a piece of the action?

And so sorry to say, if BEACH VOLLEY can make it to the Olympics, why badminton is still considered by many as a backyard sports? Now, how many of you go and play beach volleys other than you go to the beaches for holidays? And why and when is Beach Volley a popular sports? Isn't it some kind propaganda by someone or countries? It is just not fair.
    Beach volleyball == fit, tanned, attractive looking people (read: women) in revealing outfits, jumping up and down on picturesque white sandy beaches. There's a certain glamour attached to that. Can't say the same thing about badminton.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast