User Tag List

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand Tiger a racket and play the game. Oh, it must be Nike's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    Beach volleyball == fit, tanned, attractive looking people (read: women) in revealing outfits, jumping up and down on picturesque white sandy beaches. There's a certain glamour attached to that. Can't say the same thing about badminton.
    It depends.... Maybe badminton women should play in bikinis. And the bounchier their chest, the better the ratings...
    The best thing would be looking at a doubles match with the woman standing on the service line, waiting, bending down....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, World championships is a great place to start promoting the sport.
    If the matches are telecast live in primetime, I am sure the attention will be drawn with the quality of play.

The publicity for the WC's is so very low at this point.

Unless people take time to search for badminton on the web, there is not enough publicity for them to know even the WC's are in the US.
    I am talking about people in the US ofcourse and publicity in the US.

I know quite a few people who like this sport and would definitely appreciate going to the world championships, they are not the kind to browse about badminton. How would they know, unless there is vast publicity ?
    as I view it is a once in LONG time oppurtunity to watch this competition live. When will these be ever held in NA again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even the greatest rallies in badminton never seem to make it to the sports center. I ahve seen quite a few sports, that are not at all popular in NA make it to sports center, but never seen badminton.

ESPN even telecasts ping pong competitions from Chicago every year. Not badminton. Ayone has connections with ESPN ?

May be they can take the tip to show Lin Dan in action in the top ten plays one of these days ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    It depends.... Maybe badminton women should play in bikinis. And the bounchier their chest, the better the ratings...
    The best thing would be looking at a doubles match with the woman standing on the service line, waiting, bending down....
    OK then, I recall there was a commercial about bikinis football or something like that on one of the America TV channels. I do not think it was that popular. So I doubt it will work on badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GunBlade008
    Ageed that Yonex should step up to propelling badminton forward internationally. However, it doesn't mean that other brands shoould sit back and watch the world leader in badminton equipment do all the work. In Toronto, namely, the areas I played in middle school, the ONLY brand of badminton known to anybody was Black Knight, which is based in Canada conveniently. BK should take initiative and advertise badminton in Canada. This will no doubt get the United States involved along with Yonex. Black Knight and Yonex will be North America's first steps to making badminton a world renowned sport.
    I thought Black Knight was only known in Western Canada. I did not know it has entered the ON market. Black Knight is small when compared to Yonex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main reason I believe why badminton is NOT aired in North America is because the game is continuous without many breaks to put in commercials. Without commericials, where would the US be? All the sports they air on TV have the potential to air 50% commercial and 50% show which explains why we have such horrible and crappy television shows these days. The key to sports now is not the sport anymore, it's the products that can be sold to viewers during this time. Baseball is a very slow sport imo and the only reason it stays alive is because of commericials. The Super Bowl is another example where companies pay MILLIONS of dollars just fo 30 second viewings. Hockey is another sport that stops every 45 seconds to air commercials as well as basketball.

This reason alone is why even soccer or rugby is not shown on regular sports channels but rather on extended channels for the American market. Tennis stops after every set. If badminton had more breaks, billions of commercials could be inserted and aired. Now of course this would ruin badminton in my opinion, but unfortunately I see it as the only way we can break into the American market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just cannot agree with your opinion. Don’t get me wrong, all the racquets I have ever bought are Yonex, except the first two I bought at the age of 10 and 11. Now I have three racquets in my rotation; MP 99, MP 100 and Ti 10. Among them I found the MP99 is the best racquet I have ever used.

The reason I can’t agree with you is Yonex is a business corporation and it won’t just simply die because of competition. You make adjustments on your product, price and marketing strategy when the competition is stiff. Look at the DVD players, when I got my first one I paid $899 plus tax in 1998 and now less than 10 years, I only paid 1/10 of the price I paid to get a new one with even better function; and I bet everything that DVD is more popular now than 7 years ago. And it’s not only the Chinese brands, the price of Japanese brands have fallen in the same price category too. What does that tell us? The competition is only a good thing for the consumers. I am not saying Yonex is not a good product, but to some people the price is just too outrageous. When you can get 80% of the quality for just paying 50% of the price, why not? Sports only get popular when a lot of people can participate in it. Why are the South America scorer players generally better? Because they are so poor over there and scorer is relatively cheap to get into. For 22 players, you only need one football; and they can even make theirs using anything. Badminton is always an relatively expensive hobby, you have to pay for the court, high consumption of birdies and it pays to get a good racquet. I doubt if there’s anyone would spend hundred of dollars on the racquets just to see if they like badminton or not. So with cheaper racquets with good quality, we can easier to see the sport being more popular than letting Yonex monopolize the market. Maybe one day we’ll see the price of the Yonex is as reasonable as other brands.

Second I only see Yonex sponsoring the large badminton events but have never see them do anything (at least in North America) to really promote the sport (maybe I am wrong here, sometimes I have never seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.) like Nike promoting the basketball in the summer by organizing a 3-men ball league. And I don’t think Yonex has ever built or name after any sport complex here solely for badminton. If what you mean promoting the sport is merely to sponsor events for marketing purposes, I think the other racquet manufacturers can do that as well; providing they think there is a potential in the market to make more profit.

So the next racquet I buy may not be a Yonex anymore. Just my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine if a popular sports celebrity such as Kobe Bryant or Agassi played badminton suddenly, or endorsed it in a commercial imagine how much the badminton approval rating would go up. Actually, if basketball players played badminton, I'm sure they'd probably be some of the best players around, because, no offense, but they have good endurance and jump power. This will surely make badminton popular.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Yonex also have exclusive promotional deals with certain tournaments such as All-England. Other competitive brands weren't allowed to get into these prestigious events. Small wonders why Yonex got fined by the Japanese government for anti-competitive practices.

Quote Originally Posted by ken287
    Second I only see Yonex sponsoring the large badminton events but have never see them do anything (at least in North America) to really promote the sport (maybe I am wrong here, sometimes I have never seen it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.) like Nike promoting the basketball in the summer by organizing a 3-men ball league. And I don’t think Yonex has ever built or name after any sport complex here solely for badminton. If what you mean promoting the sport is merely to sponsor events for marketing purposes, I think the other racquet manufacturers can do that as well; providing they think there is a potential in the market to make more profit.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trance
    The main reason I believe why badminton is NOT aired in North America is because the game is continuous without many breaks to put in commercials. Without commericials, where would the US be? All the sports they air on TV have the potential to air 50% commercial and 50% show which explains why we have such horrible and crappy television shows these days. The key to sports now is not the sport anymore, it's the products that can be sold to viewers during this time. Baseball is a very slow sport imo and the only reason it stays alive is because of commericials. The Super Bowl is another example where companies pay MILLIONS of dollars just fo 30 second viewings. Hockey is another sport that stops every 45 seconds to air commercials as well as basketball.

This reason alone is why even soccer or rugby is not shown on regular sports channels but rather on extended channels for the American market. Tennis stops after every set. If badminton had more breaks, billions of commercials could be inserted and aired. Now of course this would ruin badminton in my opinion, but unfortunately I see it as the only way we can break into the American market.
    imho, that's only part of the problem. let me illustrate it this way: if we agree to after every 5 rallies in badminton, we take a 3 minutes comercial break. do you think advertisers will be rushing in to advertise in badminton? no.

why? because they don't care. why do they not care? they do not care because badminton is not popular. even if you allow the breaks for them to buy commercials, they just don't see how they can benefit form buying it.

i am not saying don't allow break, i am just trying to say that whether there is break or not is not the core of the problem, the problem is that badminton isn't popular here, if viewership is low, then advertisers won't pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default They have not done enough

I always have this crazy idea that if we create training programs and sponsor 20 - 30 poor young athletes that would train full time in badminton instead of basketball, baseball or football in each major city in USA then badminton would become a popular sport since main stream america is playing this sport and probably will be very competitive again. Unlike China, US has shown that it can be strong in any sport that it wants to be without any government support. But the main problem is this; if you are born in USA, your chance of being exposed to badminton is extremely slim to none as you will never ever see it on TV or newspaper or any other media ! And even if you have, the chances are its a backyard sport or only amateur level and never world class badminton. So ultimately the question is what to do to generate more interest in badminton? I have only one suggestion: Making people interested in badminton in USA is very simple! It is simply MONEY!! In today's world, money is the main driving force for sports and TV. Best example, since there is no NHL this year, TV stations have started showing POKER tournaments with big $$$$ and actuallly was getting more viewers !!!! So the obvious maybe lets make badminton a money sport !!! Make the prize money for a major tournament 800k - 1 million. It will genereta publicity and TV coverage just because of the size of the money to be won. It wont take much promoting athletes as players who win these "money" tournaments will automatically become famous. It will create INTEREST!!! It will attract sponsors. It will attract TV. It will attract young athletes !!! It will attract parents attention and influence their kids to play the sport. It will be played more as people see others are playing it. It will let business people have more confidence to invest in badminton by building more courts. It will generate more interest and schools will have badminton teams.

With all that said, I question if Yonex has done enough for making badminton popular in north america. Yonex may have done just enough in the badminton world in terms of maintain their market share. However, it seems they have not done anything to reach out to the rest which is about 99.999999 % of the population in north america. I believe Yonex is content with the market share they currently have. But, in relation to making badminton a money sport, evidence clearly shows that they have not done so. Could they do it? yes, they can. But most of the local tournaments sponsored by Yonex in USA dont have prize money and even if its a larger tournament it's rarely over a few thousand in prizes and that has to be shared in 5 events. To put it in perspective, an AT800 is $200 and probably cost less than $30 to make. You would think they can make the prize money for a major tournament alot more than 10 AT800 rackets. In my opinion, since Yonex are the owner of almost all of the market share and have profitted the most as a result. It make them as the primary candidate who should and should have started making tournaments with large prizes. With the amount of money they make, which I have no clue but I am sure its in the millions, they need to put more money back into the badminton world and not let players like us to worry about why this great sport is not getting any publicity or TV coverage.

Finally, lets keep in mind the big money is going to reward badminton players. If Yonex really want to promote badminton in north america, they start making tournaments with 1 million dollar prizes. If they really wanted to they could easily take profit from selling badminton rackets in the north america + rest of the world going towards USA market and o make it huge, they could even take profit from tennis and golf divisions and make badminton a real money sport.
    Last edited by Jumpalot; 04-16-2005 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think sponsers is just another player, and a minor one at that, in the complex chain that makes a sport truly popular. Sponsors do not and cannot alone make a sports event a major international event. The really big sporting events actually have sponsors paying through their nose just to get noticed. The Olympics and the soccer World cup actually milks every penny from the sponsors. So long as you are dependent on just one sponsor, like Yonex, badminton will not be really big time. You need to start this from the beginning, such as kids playing badminton as soon as they can walk, then playing it at all schools as often as they play soccer or American football. How did soccer or American football, or basketball, get to be so popular? These games were popular long before sponsors came along. That begs the question : who came first, the chicken or the egg?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    That begs the question : who came first, the chicken or the egg?
    yes. that's exactly what i tried to address in my article. it is a vicious cycle, or a chicken-n-egg problem. no money means no popularity, no popularity means no money.

my suggestion in the article to break the cycle is simply for Yonex to throw in the money. take a small gamble. afterall, they are the biggest and most wealthy company on earth who has an intimate interest with badminton.

and as Jumpalot says, and i wholeheartedly agree 100%: money is the key here. Yonex has done very little to promote the sport in the US, it is a huge market to be explored, if they decide to do it, they will enjoy the result, and badminton will be popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally,i would say the badminton think tank should target india.Not because i live here but because i have a reason to believe so.india along with china has the fastest developing economy.the problem with china[no offense] is the language barrier.but with india it's no such thing.india has all the major business houses in the world.badminton is not the #1 sport here and honestly i dont know if it's even in the top 4.still u should see the way the sport is treated here.current players are not doing much.yet u have quite a few sponsors for the players who do no more than cross the 2nd round.,but in other places shutttlers do not really have commercial sponsors[exclude yonex.] inspite of the fact that they do so well.badminton in india is growing fast,really fast.india has not even hosted a 1* tournament of late.and then it was decided that asian championships will be held in india this year.and u must see how willingly sponsors have come forward.so it's going to be a 4* tournament!! compare it with AE.england has always had a tradition of having good players at the highest level and yet the prize money is not increasing.
    in 1983 india won the cricket world cup,and from then on india has gone mad behind cricket.sponsors pouring form all corners,the game has been on a rise ever since.what world cricket is today u wont believe me but the fact is that 55% -65% of all the money in the game is because of india.i dont see any reason why that cant happen to badminton too.but it all depends on the players perfomance.in 2001 pullela gopichand won the AE.u should have seen the publicity he got.thousands gathered just to see him arrive from the airport!!wherever he visited there was a queue of thousands waiting to see him[no, i am not exaggerating].
    people complain big sponsors dont really come forward [like nike etc] to support the game.when gopi won the AE[which was the only big title he won] sponsors were running behind him.infact 'PEPSI' had signed him to do a commercial,which he later refused saying that he does not want the younger kids to drink it just because they watch him as he does not encourage having soft drinks. what i am trying to say is that gopi had won just one tourney for which he got all the fame[unluckily he was always injured and could not do much].if there was a peter gade or lin dan in india u have no idea what might have happend to the publicity of the game.
    that's how it is here.in india sporing heroes are few.that is why the ones who perform get so much attention.that's why i would rate india as even better than the US if u are talking about promoting the game.since in the us there are so many sports but that is not the case in india.
    bottomline:-just have more international tournaments in india.u have no idea of the no of business houses here[billion or maybe a trillion].there are many from those will come forward[forget yonex]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Yonex or for that matter many others know about the North American market potential. I think they are wise not to throw money down the drain. Their investments are based on very sound principles. The money-investments-go where there is an established market. Badminton was big time in Malaysia, India, Denmark and Indonesia long before Yonex came along. These countries made Yonex and Yonex latched on to a good thing. Sponsors are not "market makers". They lubricate the sports they choose to give them an edge. It is the sport that makes sponsors.
    For example, lets take badminton in China. This game was never heard of before the exodus of Indonesian Chinese badminton players who fled Indonesia for to China. The game took off big because of the Chinese government's desire to gain respect and prestige through sports-pioneered by the 'Ping Pong' diplomacy-at a time when it was isolated by the western world. Every single victory in badminton gave birth to millions of new Chinese badminton converts who were fired up by an intense desire to avenge past wrongs and gain some international respect.
    I don't know what will fire up the American badminton scene. Certainly the Chinese experience will not work. The answer may be closer to what made basketball, baseball or American football all the rage there. For Yonex to pour money into North America in the absence of a sizeable core business there could result in Yonex going the way of Dunlop Maxply.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a bit too much to rely almost solely on Yonex to promote the badminton game just because it has been so successful in its business.

To my mind, Yonex could at best play as good a supporting role within its means and objectives as it has been doing all this while. Remember, just like any other corporations, Yonex is a profit-making organization and has to take care of its bottomline and answer to its shareholders.

It is the IBF and its worldwide affiliates that have to carry the main burden of promoting and marketing the game and just as taneepak has said they must involve every possible avenue to introduce the game to the kids, especially when they are in schools. Competition from other sports in the US has been so successful that badminton ranks lowly and seems unable to break the bad spell! Then the children can grow up with the game and badminton can become their life-long companion. When the popularity of badminton has expanded, it will be suicidal for the profit-motive corporations not to join in race to help develop the badminton industry. And we generally agree that competition by these corporations will only bring about benefits to everybody involved, more so to the ultimate consumer and the professional players.

So just in case that we haven't got our bearings quite right, please remember that the main promoters are those directly involved in popularizing the badminton game and their decisions will have a direct impact, organisations such as the Olympic Council, the IBF, the member-countries, the national sports associations, the schools, the tertiary institutions, the professionals such as administrators, officials, coaches, parents, etc. The commercial companies like Yonex, Prince, Nike, Carlton, etc, can help to promote, publicize and market the game so long as they can make money out of their activites, their products and services. They more they can make, the more that they will have to plough back into the badminton industry.

Yes this has to be a symbiotic relationship between the main promoters and the corporations, a mutually beneficial one where growth in one can help in the growth of the other.
    Last edited by Loh; 04-16-2005 at 04:53 AM.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast