User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

Voters
1771. You may not vote on this poll
  • Non-racquet foot forward

349 19.71%
  • Racquet foot forward

1,083 61.15%
  • Both feet (roughly) square to the net

173 9.77%
  • It varies, depending on which side I serve from

166 9.37%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondLin
    Ya it is incorrect because coach usually right and I find the reason he give me for racket foot foward makes sense.
    Before I did non racket foot foward and after i switched it around I find it a lot easier to serve.(More space) doesn't hit non racket foot.

Here's a picture of Gong Ruina serving backhand
    Notice how her racket foot is foward
    Really it depends on what each person finds more comfortable, as the most important part of your serve is where you end up after it.

You can hit a perfect serve, but still be in your serving position when the return comes, and you're screwed.

I serve non-raquet foot forward, as it's just more comfortable, and I can get in position more easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on playing style of my opponent, if they drop my serve more then lift it then racquet foot forward so i can catch them easier, if they lift it more then racquet foot back so i can get to it faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe for the fast move must stand with both legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if im stood on the left side of the court i have my right foot forward (raquet foot forward) and if im stood on the right side of the court i have my left foot forward (non-raquet foot)

I think its because i lean slightly in the direction that i am going to serve, and putting the closest foot forward helps me to keep my balance.

When i was tought to serve it was always the backhand action that was stressed upon rather than the stance - i guess ive just got used to it :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For doubles, I place my non-racket (or racquet) foot forward when serving from the right and serving backhand. If I'm on the left and serving backhand, I place my racket foot forward. YET, if I'm serving forehand (rarely, but if I'm not playing as serious, I will), I serve with non-racket foot forward.

In singles, it's always non-racket foot forward.

No matter what, it should only take me two steps (starting with my left and ending with right) to reach the net, so I don't think it matters significantly. Just my habits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I place my racket foot forward for doubles before I used to place both feet level (I copied the pros ) but my coach said it's not good for me as I'm used to my racket foot forward and he was right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non racket forward, i read this threat n a lot of people have said this is incorrect etc, so i tried racket foot forward, i found it more difficult, my serves seemed to go a bit higher, i didn't feel balanced, and getting a net shot seemed further away, i dunno, i dont think my serve is wrong with the non racket foot forward, its right for me at least

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richie-rich
    i dont think my serve is wrong with the non racket foot forward, its right for me at least
    That's absolutely correct. Choose whichever foot position feels best.

Many players, and even coaches, are dogmatic about the foot position for service. Yet none of them give good reasons for standing one way or another.

It's personal preference. The coach may have a personal preference too, but his preference may not suit you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i think my coaches personal pref is non racket forward, but i feel comfortable doing it, and my serves are usually pretty nifty so its working for me, like you say, everyone has their own way, my level doubles partner stands with his feet square, think if it works then its right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've recently switched (temporarily) to racket foot forward after seeing some pros do it (Gunawan for one), haven't gotten completely used to it, but it seems to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you have the racket foot (little bit) forward you will have more balance, especially if you do a flick serve and you also the racket food forward when you recieve drop shots during a match...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i stay square to the net, then tip toe to minimize the upward motion of the shuttle, lets me serve it with a bit more speed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serving backhand in doubles with the racquet foot in front will enable you to reach the net, both right and left, faster especially with a 1-step foreward movement. If both feet are square to the net, reaching the backhand side of the net wit a 1-step move is slower, because the non-playing foot is in the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Serving backhand in doubles with the racquet foot in front will enable you to reach the net, both right and left, faster especially with a 1-step foreward movement. If both feet are square to the net, reaching the backhand side of the net wit a 1-step move is slower, because the non-playing foot is in the way.
    Depends on how long your feet are.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Sorry about both feet being square to the net, which is not as bad. The not so good way is putting the non-racquet foot in front

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eversince, I was taught to serve with my right foot forward (serving hand), my caoch told me as this would give more distance, three steps (Left, right, right) as opposed to the left forward, only 2 steps (right, right), hope you can imagine it. For this reason some taller players ( europeans) use the left stance, And shorter (asian players) use the right stance for more distance

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by henmd111
    Eversince, I was taught to serve with my right foot forward (serving hand), my caoch told me as this would give more distance, three steps (Left, right, right) as opposed to the left forward, only 2 steps (right, right), hope you can imagine it. For this reason some taller players ( europeans) use the left stance, And shorter (asian players) use the right stance for more distance
    Are you sure the above footwork, both 2-steps and 3-steps, will work?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast