User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10% grip change for overheads

Hi all,

There seems to be a bit of debate about basic grip vs a slightly adjusted towards panhandle grip.

I seem to really struggle to use pronation for some reason when trying to use the adjusted grip.

Just interested in others thoughts and observations.

Thanks
    Darren

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Darren,

Struggling to use pronation is a sign that you may have adjusted the grip too far. This happens to a lot of players.

The differences between these grips are very subtle. The best way to judge is by how the shot feels.

As you have found, going even slightly too far towards panhandle makes pronation less effective, and therefore you lose power.

Going too far towards basic/backhand causes you to slice the shuttle. You can detect this by the feel and sound of the hit, and also because your clears and smashes will tend to veer off to your left (if you are a right-hander).

I should mention that I will be revising my Badminton Bible grips guide. I have found the basic grip to be too much of a "slicing grip", and now prefer teaching a forehand grip as the default for overheads (this grip has the V-shape exactly in the middle, as opposed to offset slightly either side; it's in between the two other grips).

Hope that helps,
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mike,

Yes, I think you may be right, possibly I'm going too far over, seems contact point comes down a bit too much as well.

Some more experimentation is required I suspect.

Look forward to the updated grip guide, that is really useful.

Thanks again
    Darren