User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

Voters
1739. You may not vote on this poll
  • Non-racquet foot forward

344 19.78%
  • Racquet foot forward

1,057 60.78%
  • Both feet (roughly) square to the net

172 9.89%
  • It varies, depending on which side I serve from

166 9.55%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondLin
    Ya it is incorrect because coach usually right and I find the reason he give me for racket foot foward makes sense.
    Before I did non racket foot foward and after i switched it around I find it a lot easier to serve.(More space) doesn't hit non racket foot.
    So you're saying the serve of the number 2 in men doubles (Martin Lundgaard) is incorrect lol.
    And why would you need more place if the shuttle is very close to your racquet when serving?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raptorman
    So you're saying the serve of the number 2 in men doubles (Martin Lundgaard) is incorrect lol.
    And why would you need more place if the shuttle is very close to your racquet when serving?
    Lol this is confusing
    Honestly I don't know thats just what my coach says.
    Most people I see serve with their racket foot foward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondLin
    Most people I see serve with their racket foot foward
    That's true, but that doesn't make the other serve incorrect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raptorman
    That's true, but that doesn't make the other serve incorrect
    Ya I agree lol
    So confusing though (confuzzled)
    I guess there is no correct way
    Maybe both works (maybe your own personal reference of what you like better)
    Lol both of our coach says different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can serve anyway you want...as long as you are good at it...but as the poll and most pictures suggest...having your racket foot forward is the accepted way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think gong ruina's one is more orthodox?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it depends on preference ....
    either way , I don't think it really matter which foot you serve with in infront -> as long as you get the shuttlecock over the net , as low as possible and as close to the short service line as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried to simulate a backhand serve with the non-racquet foot forward just now - it felt weird, as if I could fall if I need to lunge forward to return the reply.

Normally after serving, my racquet foot will more or less return parallel to the same level on court as my non-racquet foot, getting into the position of the net minder.

With non-racquet foot forward... felt as if I could fall backwards.

Hi Mag, long time no see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    ..... I don't think it really matter which foot you serve with in infront -> as long as you get the shuttlecock over the net , as low as possible and as close to the short service line as possible
    Actually you can physically get much closer to the net (and stay balanced) if you use your racquet foot on a backhand serve. That minimizes the distance travelled and shortens the flight time. In doubles, that makes a huge difference. So IMHO, it does matter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 604badder
    Actually you can physically get much closer to the net (and stay balanced) if you use your racquet foot on a backhand serve. That minimizes the distance travelled and shortens the flight time. In doubles, that makes a huge difference. So IMHO, it does matter.
    Yes, it does matter. However the result might be different than you think. Given that you have to serve legally. (ie. rule 14) In a short serve, closer the contact point to the net given the goal is to have shuttle drop after it travel over the net, the landing point will also closer to the net also. Basically, either you will have to pop the shuttle higher during the serve (and the oppenent will smash it) or your serve will be short. In my openion, there is no point to get too close to the net during a short serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw KDM doing a serve with non-racquet fin front. I usually put them square

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Yes, it does matter. However the result might be different than you think. Given that you have to serve legally. (ie. rule 14) In a short serve, closer the contact point to the net given the goal is to have shuttle drop after it travel over the net, the landing point will also closer to the net also. Basically, either you will have to pop the shuttle higher during the serve (and the oppenent will smash it) or your serve will be short. In my openion, there is no point to get too close to the net during a short serve.
    The closer you are to the net when serving backhand in doubles and the closer your serve lands at the opponent's front service line, aided by a good flick high serve to be used as required, the more formidable will you and your partner be. The reason is simple : the receiver just doesn't have the time to rush your serve, as he is in two minds-physically near the front service line but mentally geared up to leap back for your high flick. True, the angle of your serve may be higher, but this is more than offset by the reduced reaction time of the receiver because of the much shorter distance of the flight of the shuttle. All things being equal, the shuttle will reach the net faster than the receiver, unless the latter cheats. On the contrary the longer distance your serve travels, as is the case if you were to stand a foot behind the front service line, the easier it is for the receiver to rush your serve and put it away.
    If you have a deceptive high backhand flick, such 'minimum distance' serves can get you outright winners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non racket hand.......is incorrect
    id say its because of the footwork need to get to your next shot
    suppose your serving from the right box(lets just say your right handed) and you serve short and your opponent drops to your left(backhand), you'll have to swing your right leg all the around your left to lunge for the return(pretty sure none of you lunge with your non racket hand) and this should result in time loss(minimal, but of course in badminton every nanosecond counts) and sometimes loss of balance

now, if the racket hand leg was in front, your pretty much free to lunge whichever direction you want with no time loss and perfect balance

i dunno, i try to figure out most of the things by myself without a coach telling me how to make every single one of my moves, so this is just my line of thinking, if its totally off, tell me so

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gackt
    non racket hand.......is incorrect
    id say its because of the footwork need to get to your next shot
    suppose your serving from the right box(lets just say your right handed) and you serve short and your opponent drops to your left(backhand), you'll have to swing your right leg all the around your left to lunge for the return(pretty sure none of you lunge with your non racket hand) and this should result in time loss(minimal, but of course in badminton every nanosecond counts) and sometimes loss of balance

now, if the racket hand leg was in front, your pretty much free to lunge whichever direction you want with no time loss and perfect balance

i dunno, i try to figure out most of the things by myself without a coach telling me how to make every single one of my moves, so this is just my line of thinking, if its totally off, tell me so
    This footwork analysis assumes that you stand still after serving

Regardless of your initial feet position, you should perform a split step immediately after serving. Your feet will now be side by side, your leg muscles loaded, and you will be ready to move quickly to either side.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    The closer you are to the net when serving backhand in doubles and the closer your serve lands at the opponent's front service line, aided by a good flick high serve to be used as required, the more formidable will you and your partner be. The reason is simple : the receiver just doesn't have the time to rush your serve, as he is in two minds-physically near the front service line but mentally geared up to leap back for your high flick. True, the angle of your serve may be higher, but this is more than offset by the reduced reaction time of the receiver because of the much shorter distance of the flight of the shuttle. All things being equal, the shuttle will reach the net faster than the receiver, unless the latter cheats. On the contrary the longer distance your serve travels, as is the case if you were to stand a foot behind the front service line, the easier it is for the receiver to rush your serve and put it away.
    If you have a deceptive high backhand flick, such 'minimum distance' serves can get you outright winners.
    Hi Taneepak,
    I would like clarify some of my points in my last post. What I ment was some people lean over the service line and think that they can get a short serve close to the front service line. You need to serve higher to get it into the service box and this makes the serve a easy kill. I hope you agree that it is close enough to stand very close to the T and that is as close as you need to stand. Leaning over the line does not help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Hi Taneepak,
    I would like clarify some of my points in my last post. What I ment was some people lean over the service line and think that they can get a short serve close to the front service line. You need to serve higher to get it into the service box and this makes the serve a easy kill. I hope you agree that it is close enough to stand very close to the T and that is as close as you need to stand. Leaning over the line does not help.
    But if they lean over the line and serve , it'll mean shorter distances the shuttlecock would have to travel , giving the receiver less reaction time and more element of surprise . If the receiver is caught off guard and makes and weak shoy then YOU can be the one to make the kill

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    But if they lean over the line and serve , it'll mean shorter distances the shuttlecock would have to travel , giving the receiver less reaction time and more element of surprise . If the receiver is caught off guard and makes and weak shoy then YOU can be the one to make the kill
    I guess you never try to serve while leaning over the service line and keep contacting point below your waist... I usually just step up and drive it back at the oppenent's face.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast