User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

Voters
1739. You may not vote on this poll
  • Non-racquet foot forward

344 19.78%
  • Racquet foot forward

1,057 60.78%
  • Both feet (roughly) square to the net

172 9.89%
  • It varies, depending on which side I serve from

166 9.55%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with silentheart. Everyone has their own way of serving which suits them. If you lean forward however, you start your serve a little lower than standing straight up. I used to lean forward, but I found out that I accidentally popped it up every so often, and their goes my serve. I found that if I stood up straight right behind the line, I can get a flatter serve than the one that I leaned forward, and a serve that is less likely to pop up on me. Therefore my serve is more consistent.

I'm not sure if you lean forward, you are actually lowering the distance. Sure, you're lowering the distance horizontally by leaning forward, but you're also increasing the distance vertically. I'm not sure if you lean forward, it actually helps with less distance to serve.

Just my personal opinon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave18
    Interesting poll.

If I'm in the right box, my right foot is forward, if I'm in left box, my left foot is forward. It just feels natural to me.
    im the exact opposite, left box i have the right foot forward, and for the right box, my left foot. I dont have a clue why i do it, i just always have done ever since i first learnt to serve. Sure its not the "normal" way to serve, but it works for me and thats all that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macca
    im the exact opposite, left box i have the right foot forward, and for the right box, my left foot. I dont have a clue why i do it, i just always have done ever since i first learnt to serve. Sure its not the "normal" way to serve, but it works for me and thats all that matters.
    I stand with my foot side-by-side... I find it much easier to move diagonally back on my left side of the opponent tries to lift low over my left shoulder.. With my foots side-by-side I'm ready to move the moment the shuttle has left my racket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raptorman
    That's true, but that doesn't make the other serve incorrect
    I agree with you. I server with my non racket foot forward and have been doing that for more than 20 years. it just feels natural for me. Don't know if it's right or wrong but my doubles serve is very low and have been very consistent.
    works for me...

Chin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally serve with my feet side by side. I used to serve with racket foot forward, however i feel that a perfectly stable base is important for consistancy. I am on the move as soon as i serve and my serve is very tight so positioning is never a problem for the return. I would say that it is important to try every way and decide what works best for you. You cannot criticize one method or another without trying them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The picture below is the classic backhand serve taught by the Chinese National Team. I can serve with either foot forward but have found it better to serve with the racket foot forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

OHHHHH!!! i thot u meant receiving serve lol. my first response was non racquet foot foward. but i really put my racquet foot foward lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

racket-foot.
    tought to me like that because in that way it doesn't blok my racket-motion (i had to swing back then)
    and it seems easier to get in to ready-stance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is there a right or wrong? Probably not.

In my observations when coaching players of mixed abilities, most people will naturally use a serving stance where the foot on the racquet side is at the front i.e. traditional text book stance.

However, having coached players I have noticed that the position of the feet will depend on:
    1) Differing body shapes - feet position will change to compensate shape and weight distribution for best balance
    2) Natural individual comfort position of shuttle hand when placed in front of them. (Arguably, you could say that if they get their feet position right, the natural position of the shuttle hand will be pretty consistent for most people.)
    3) The serving action. A short or long swing will affect the way someone choses to stand when serving.
    4) IMHO, most importantly it's the eye bias. If you have 20/20 vision or near 20/20, then you might expect to see more common use of the traditional stance. Where variance may begin is where the individual prefers to use their right or left eye.

Maybe we should be doing a poll to see whether the stronger eye influences the stance chosen when serving???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, but I think when I serve to left, I put my left foot front; serving right, I put my right foot front. It might be just better feels for me
    (shorter distance of traveling? well, it could be )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    I don't know, but I think when I serve to left, I put my left foot front; serving right, I put my right foot front. It might be just better feels for me
    (shorter distance of traveling? well, it could be )
    Same here. I think it's mainly because it helps me "line up" against the lines.

Again, service stance is very much a personal preference. Objectively, there's no clear advantage to any of the different feet positions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sslam72
    In my observations when coaching players of mixed abilities, most people will naturally use a serving stance where the foot on the racquet side is at the front i.e. traditional text book stance.

However, having coached players I have noticed that the position of the feet will depend on:
    1) Differing body shapes - feet position will change to compensate shape and weight distribution for best balance
    2) Natural individual comfort position of shuttle hand when placed in front of them. (Arguably, you could say that if they get their feet position right, the natural position of the shuttle hand will be pretty consistent for most people.)
    3) The serving action. A short or long swing will affect the way someone choses to stand when serving.
    4) IMHO, most importantly it's the eye bias. If you have 20/20 vision or near 20/20, then you might expect to see more common use of the traditional stance. Where variance may begin is where the individual prefers to use their right or left eye.

Maybe we should be doing a poll to see whether the stronger eye influences the stance chosen when serving???
    Well, do ppl normaly notice which eye they use? I mean i dont relly know which eye i use when i serve... i serve with my non-racket foot forward btw... as i was saying, i dont really think ppl actually thinks about which eye to use when serving...

i havnt been tought how to play cuz all my gym coaches rnt badminton coaches , but i found myself always using non-racket foot forward cuz of my balance... last time a friend told me to serve with my racket foot forward i actually fell backwards while serving... the second time i tried the birdie went too high so i ended up with a smash...

But i certainly didnt notice of which eye i use more on a serve...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD-DL
    Well, do ppl normaly notice which eye they use?
    I think what sslam72 is talking about is lazy eye syndrome.

When a person's eye turns myopic or hyperopic, it's common that it's not at the same rate. So one of your eyes are more myopic than the other.

The position of your feet for serving is a personal issue, the serving technique is the one that varies very little from one to next

I have balance from my racquet foot forward, and not the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to serve with my racquet foot forward, but switched later on because I gained more consistency from the new posture. For those who worried about their bodies getting in the way of their backswing when they flick with the non-racquet foot forward, it's really nothing. First off, having a huge backswing would telegraph your flick to your opponent. Secondly, you don't need a backswing when you can flick properly by using your fingers more than your wrist. Your flick service doesn't need to be long, just high and long enough to blunt the smash service return.

In addition, I find my new serving stance more stable after I changed. My neck is not unnecessarily strained from look to the side to serve. So all these benefits add up.
    Last edited by cappy75; 03-02-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me? ? Just follow the suite as professional like Peter Gade and Lindan. So racket foot is forward. But play like a kid with basic skill and not a professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic in Dinkalot's photo above, it that an illegal serve???

I changed from non racket offt forward to racket foot forward when serving from the right (I am right handed) . I fine I can move a little better cross court to cover the short reply. And non racket foot forward when serving from the left court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misbehavin
    Slightly off topic in Dinkalot's photo above, it that an illegal serve???
    from the look of it, it may end up being legal. ie, the shuttle is just being released and by the time the racket face hit the corks, it may be well within the legal boundaries.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast