Learning to play badminton in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by manduki, Apr 14, 2005.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps this should go into the General forum but I post this to cheer all the beginner players like me.

On my school's badminton team, there were two Thai guys in their senior year. They seemed to be hidden on one court not playing a game but rather doing drills the whole time. One guy was exceptional and the other didn't quite reach his partner's standards.

Two weeks later, my partner and I played a match against them, mainly a freindly 'get-to-know' one another match. The result was 15-7, 15-6 for the other team. (My partner played for 6 years but around 2-3 years competitively and I had played competitively for around 6 months) Their drops were phenominal and footwork was above and beyond exceptional.

A few weeks later (yesturday) at practice, I saw them rallying for the first time with each other and I couldn't tell who started off two weeks ago. Even today, I can see them doing drills for at least 15 mins per practice.

Lets let this story be an encouragement to all those frustrated technique- challenged people like me. Anyone could become a great badminton player if they put in the efffort to learn and take the game seriously even though some drill i must admit are dead boring as history class:p .:D

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    can u recall wut kind of drills they did?

3. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    You are right! I kept telling one of my friends that we should practice drills more than playing games, but he refused and said that it was more beneficial to play games. Fortunately, I have another friend who believe in practicing drills so I can really improve on my skills.

I am now playing better than some people in my club who have more experience than me because of the practices.

#3 CanuckBur, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  4. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    maybe it was in their genes. ;)

5. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    what kind of drills did they do? i'm very curious. maybe it does have something to do with talent/genes :cool: i know a few people who improved beyond all the others (in school/district) within something like 3 to 5 years :eek:

6. Van-CyKo

Van-CyKo Regular Member

Student
    i says drills are really usful to get better... for example: drop 2 corner
    but i dunno cuz i was really crappy 1 year ago.... i got 3 yrs of expenience and skills in 1 year?!?! i dunno how? i didnt noe ne drills or nething... all i had was motivation from a couple of people hoo were older and more skilled than i was.... now im somewat of a challenge to them now.... w00t!! im happi but i just dunno how i did it.....
    i think it was all motivation from peers.. thx
    ~terence
    ps if u got ne drills for me to do ill galdy do them

7. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    ya sure u did terrence XD jkjk...
    well i've been playing for 2 years roughly and all i needed was a good beginning. drills r rly actually all u need but a game or two every once in a while helps too so u get experience. u cant get good doing drills every single time u pick a racket up. sure the consistency would be good but having no game experience will mess up the choices u make during a game.
    now all i need r some birds and a free court every mon/wed/fri and it gets good from there :p

*edit* of course this is just one guys opinion:D

#7 wing-omega5-0, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  8. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    you guys are lucky to have gyms set up for badminton so often.. at my school.. we have to make do with the front lounge :crying:

you're right, i believe that a good balance of playing games and doing drills is important :)

9. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    and the science wing :D but no net in sight =.= u guys are lucky.. your school has a community center attached :mad: :p

10. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    The drills that i recall them doing are: footwork drills without a bird-very common, drop drills where they start from one side and continue dropping until they reach the other side, drive drills with their feet planted, smash drills where one person smashes and one person receives and finaly another drop drill where they have their feet planted.

11. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    I think practice can be separated into 5 groups:
    1. footwork only (no racket and no shuttle)
    2. stroke only (no footwork and no shuttle)
    3. combined footwork and stroke (no shuttle)
    4. combined footwork and stroke with a shuttle.
    5. play games.

When I first started in badminton, I spent 3 months on #1, then 1 month on #2, 2 months on #3, and then 1 months on #4. Games with my friends were outside of the school practice.

Now since I got older, I figured out all these are to isolate one skill at a time. When playing games, you are combing footwork, stroke technique, power control, shot placement, strategy all in one practice session. It is very hard to practice and get good at all these skills at the same time.

It is better to use the KIS principle - Keep It Simple.

12. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    in my school we have about 4 courts set up(really 6 but the the lines are not accurate) but we are not so lucky. we have a low ceiling. :crying:

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Manduki,

perhaps you should find a little more information about your friends. Your original post implies that the weaker guy was learning the game.

Maybe he already knew how to play badminton, had taken a long break and was rusty. The drills were done to help him get back into shape.

14. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Yes there was a lot of "talk" about how he wasn't new to badminton. According to my coach, he did not know any rules and did not own a racket of his own. Personally i believe that it is true. Although his skills may be exceptional, he seemed to be very "basic" with his shots. (I didnt know how else to word this). perhaps a lack of experience? He didn't respond well to trick shots and surprise long serves.