User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is it a one-piece string job? I am very curious . Your friend must lift weight like crazy and use squash racquet to train.

Quote Originally Posted by ChNwEi310
    My friend in china strings his at 33lbs, I'm very suprised it doesn't snap the racket, but he hits hard...VERY hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HBI1204
    I started off 2 years ago stringing a cheap prince racket(cannot remember the model) with 25lbs of tension.. u're right, every overhead clears i made would end up half-court.. then i upgraded my racket to Gosen 3400, still at 25lbs of tension with the same stringer, i had no such problems as i had before with my prince racket.. so i guess the racket also plays a part in this.. it's just a thought though.. BTW now i'm playng LF Ti500 strung with Gosen TecGut Tour (0.66mm) @ 30lbs.. Maybe i'm just lucky not to get hurt playing at such high tension from the start but frankly speaking i havent find my limit yet as far as string tension is concerned but for now i wouldnt dare to go more than 30lbs... maybe one day if i have lots of money & got nothing 2 loose, i might try 32lbs next..
    Gosen Pro 70 can go up to #33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    Is it a one-piece string job? I am very curious . Your friend must lift weight like crazy and use squash racquet to train.
    I don't know about that stuff, but he's really good. Like, I THINK (not sure, cuz his friends told me, but they brag a lot), he was for a short time on the China national team, (he's like 17 now).

Yeah, he's pretty buff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    totally agree with all your points gollum - i use the Ashaway MicroLegendXL (used by the likes of Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson) strung to 24lbs - usually holds the tension for 7-10 weeks of me playing 4/5 times a week. I'm always pleased with it.. won't be changing a thing...
    lol - contrary to this little post

i'm up to 28 now.. still on MicroLegendXL, but i did try MicroPower for a couple of months.. not as much control as the MicroLegendXL.. so i'm back on MicroLegendXL. don't think i'll be changing anything for a while now..

Coops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is one simple thing you can test out on high tension. Use high tension to find out if the weight of your racquet is optimally distributed. If it is you should not lose power from it. If not it will go nowhere. You should either lower the tension to make the racquet more playable, or try reducing the weight at the handle end to redistribute the racquet weight, a little at a time, until you find the power coming back.
    If you keep adding extra grips on the handle you will find very high tensions more difficult to play, although low tensions are not as adversely affected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post Gollum!

For me, 25/28lbs. to 27/30lbs. is ideal. But this is dependent on the racket, string and shuttle. If it's a lighter racket, I will go higher tension, as high as 29/32lbs., if it's a heavy racket, as lows as 24/27lbs.

Also, it's dependent on the string. The above tensions are based on BG-80. If I was using BG-65, I'd add 2lbs. for the eventual string tensions loss. So, it just depends.

Further, it's dependent on the shuttle we're hitting. The above tensions are based on the standard speed, normal, every day shuttle. I have noticed tourney shuttles are usually a bit to moderately heavier than what I normally hit. They are also a bit to moderately faster. If I had to play with those moderately heavier and faster tourney shuttles every day, I would have to string my rackets at 30/33lbs. to 32/35lbs. in order to keep the shuttle in the court. Maybe this is why Pros string at such high tensions, to keep the shuttle in.

Assuming all other things equal, when I play 23/25lbs. or lower, I lose accuracy and hit/float everything out by a little. If I go 28/31lbs. or higher, I lose power and feel. So my bread and butter tension is somewhere around 25/28lbs. to 27/30lbs.

7. Likes drmchsraj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default update:

I have somewhat narrowed my preferred range to 27/28lbs (ending). I wonder how the other experimenters are doing.

Strings, I've have settled on BG66. in spite of what others have posted, I haven't broken a lot of these. ( maybe a total of 3 or 4 in the last 8 months - that is usually 3 times a week total of 15 hours/wk). could be the others slice a bit???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have also ended my experimentation at 30 lbs X 33 lbs. Any higher, my elbow will hurt .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also ended my experimentation at 30 lbs X 33 lbs. Any higher, my elbow will hurt .
    My elbow hurts just thinking about your 30x33lbs.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low tension is easy to play with because it is very tolerant of any misalignment of a racquet's balance point. In fact one way to test if your racquet is optimally balanced is to string it to very high tension of say 27/30lbs. If it plays better than your previous lower tension, then your racquet is probably close to its optimal balance point. If not, then you must have done something to your racquet and/or your racquet was not correctly qc'ed in the plant. If you play with low tensions all the time you will never know if your racquet is optimally set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently in the middle of different-string testing, soon maybe alsom racket-testing. So I'd keep my 23lbs. 23 seems to be on the verge of losing power, but will equal out and be great for me. Already used and abused BG80, 68ti seems to play good, after 1 session...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Does this apply to all strings?

I know from experience that this applies to BG 65 (well, maybe not 72 hours, but certainly in a week), since that's the string I normally use. But BG 65 also has a reputation for losing more initial tension than other strings.

I've also used BG 85, 65 TI and 68 TI, but the last two were factory tensions and hence too low. I can't be sure what BG 85 did either.

It would be interesting to learn what stringers and string enthusiasts think about the different tension loss between strings.
    My string tension tends not to go down at all before breaking. Probably because my coach strings by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BananaOfDoom
    My string tension tends not to go down at all before breaking. Probably because my coach strings by hand.
    Wow, that's not old school, that's ancient school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any higher your rackets will hurt too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha. I think it's awesome. He strings really well, and very balanced. He learned way back in China as a junior.

I'd love to learn how to do it, but I just don't think it's very possible to learn well.

One advantage is that you can repair/string on the fly. So he'll be out on the court sitting watching a match of one of his players, and he'll be stringing a raquet at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BananaOfDoom
    Hahaha. I think it's awesome. He strings really well, and very balanced. He learned way back in China as a junior.

I'd love to learn how to do it, but I just don't think it's very possible to learn well.

One advantage is that you can repair/string on the fly. So he'll be out on the court sitting watching a match of one of his players, and he'll be stringing a raquet at the same time.
    That's good to know however, there's no way he can be consistent with variable string tensions. Also he can't string that high, has to be 18lbs. or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He extremely consistent. My raquet is strung at around 26-28 right now, done by him by hand. The only tools he uses are an awl, one of those roller things, and occassionally a clamp. He strings his own raquets to around 30.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast