User Tag List

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    That's the same old guff about balance point and "ruining" the playability of the racket that we've heard before .

In taneepak's opinion, it seems that every shortcoming of equipment is attributable to the racket not being "on-spec", perhaps because the player has "misaligned" the balance point by adding (shock! horror!) extra grips.

Use the equipment you are comfortable with, and get on with your training without a second thought for the balance point of your racket.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabxzz
    Which means... I need a new grip.
    But of course! A new grip fixes everything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gallum, may I suggest you try to re-adjust your AT800DE to the following specs. and find out for yourself.

1. Length to be 675mm. Sometimes the AT800DE comes a bit short.
    2. Tension 26lbs mains, 28.5lbs crosses.
    3. Balance point with strings and grip = 31.0cm (head-heavy)
    4. Comply with the AT800DE's head-heavy design by not making it head-light with heaps of overgrip.
    I am sure and confident that with the above you should be able to handle the above tension, which you find it difficult with your current racquet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    But what if, for instance, if I'm using a stringing machine that holds the racket frame well enough so there is no need for different main and cross strings? What tension would you go with then (using this example of 26.0/28.5)? 27-27.5lbs. all around?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    But what if, for instance, if I'm using a stringing machine that holds the racket frame well enough so there is no need for different main and cross strings? What tension would you go with then (using this example of 26.0/28.5)? 27-27.5lbs. all around?
    The 10% mains/cross difference is an approximation to allow for the more twisted path and friction from the crosses, that is assuming that one follows the standard procedure of stringing the mains first followed by the crosses. Because of more friction of the crosses, caused by the up/down/up/down etc weave path, the 10% higher tension may approximate the same 'effective' tension of the mains. For racquets with smaller frame like ovals you may need less tension difference.
    But even this is debatable. Assuming that you can get the same effective tension onto each main and cross string, the middle section of the string bed, in between the six middle main strings and the six middle cross strings, will always have a lower 'effective' tension, because of their longer lengths.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gallum, may I suggest you try to re-adjust your AT800DE to the following specs. and find out for yourself.

4. Comply with the AT800DE's head-heavy design by not making it head-light with heaps of overgrip.
    I am sure and confident that with the above you should be able to handle the above tension, which you find it difficult with your current racquet.
    Thanks for the suggestion

I am not, however, going to try this. I am very happy with my equipment right now, I am playing well, and I have no intention of messing around and disturbing my game.

The grip is the right size for my hand, so I'm not going to remove any grip layers. I know you think this affects the balance, but I think the effect is negligible both in practice and in theory (think moment of inertia, not static balance).

My equipment setup is perfect for me now. Why fiddle with it? I'd much rather continue to develop my skills.

That said, in a few months time I might raise the tension again, from 25 lbs to 26 lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the manufacturer's specification is important enough to comply with, I suggest you comply with the recommended tension also, which is I think 24lb max for the AT800DE. Why arbitrarily comply with some bits of the spec and not other bits ? How do we know your choice of random compliance is in fact correct ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    If the manufacturer's specification is important enough to comply with, I suggest you comply with the recommended tension also, which is I think 24lb max for the AT800DE. Why arbitrarily comply with some bits of the spec and not other bits ? How do we know your choice of random compliance is in fact correct ?
    Except for the head-heavy Yonex specs, the other specs are typical of what I have found the AT800DE to play well, based on some of the AT800DEs that I have tuned or modified. I have slightly different specs for my own AT800DE, and it plays better than the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for the head-heavy Yonex specs, the other specs are typical of what I have found the AT800DE to play well, based on some of the AT800DEs that I have tuned or modified. I have slightly different specs for my own AT800DE, and I think it plays better than the others.
    added and in bold for clarification....It's personal! why suggest to Gollum your own preferences? Are they universal?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    added and in bold for clarification....It's personal! why suggest to Gollum your own preferences? Are they universal?
    No, those suggested to Gollum are not of my own AT800DE specs., but quite close to Yonex's (except for the tension).
    Anyway it is just a suggestion. If you try it and if it doesn't play better, at least you have one more reason to take a shot at me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, those suggested to Gollum are not of my own AT800DE specs., but quite close to Yonex's (except for the tension).
    Anyway it is just a suggestion. If you try it and if it doesn't play better, at least you have one more reason to take a shot at me.
    ok, whoopsie on my part

and I don't even have an at800def

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any suggestions for an NS 7000 or 8000 ?

presumably adding overgrips will make it more head-light and will comply with the design?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    Do you have any suggestions for an NS 7000 or 8000 ?

presumably adding overgrips will make it more head-light and will comply with the design?
    No, I don't have any suggestions, as I have not been asked to modify these two racquets yet. Each racquet model is different, and I need enough samples and many field tests to find out what I should do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any comments on the adding of overgrips to head-light racquets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont grip too much if not you cant hold your racket properly, and then you can really hit properly because its too wide to get a good hold, who knows it might slip off your hand... (thats what i think), but if you feel that the grip is seriously too thin then put an overgrip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i usually string my rackets with 23-26 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Newbie String Help Please

While I know it does vary, what is the typical cost of re-strining ? Are some rackets more to string than others? Not the cost of the string but the cost of the labor. I am thinking of getting a new racket this X-Mass and am trying to learn all aspects of buying/owning and maintaining one. Then the hard task of figuring our the proper one to get.
    Thank you for any help.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast