Stepping on eachotheres’ toes: Why badminton is NOT the best sport!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jinryu, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I thought the title would get your attention.

Don’t get me wrong, I love badminton. But more and more, I’m seeing a lot of posts and hearing a lot of talk at gyms by people that say that Badminton is THE best sport, better than tennis, better than squash, or even non-racketsports. (I myself may have been guilty, as I believe I expressed my personal distaste for hockey).

I think the problem lies in our very definition of sport, and how far we want to take our dedication in the sports of our choices. If someone tells me that a top badminton player is better than a top tennis player… what does that mean to me? Absolutely nothing. It’s literally like the classic example of the orange and the apple… the “better one†isn’t really better for everyone, it depends on who you ask and from what perspective “better†is defined. I wouldn’t consider either an apple or an orange “fruitier†than the other.

What I’m trying to say is that yes, we all love badminton… but take into consideration that in part, the reason why badminton is not as popular (I’m in North America, mind you, so this doesn’t apply as much to our friends on the other side of the globe) as it could be is because of all the people who play other sports who say that their sport is the mother of all sports. As badminton players, knowing the situation is thus, I think it better to lead by example… to understand that like religion, for sports, to each their own. Sure, promote badminton… but I believe that the way to promote is to do so objectively and highlight all the advantages of playing our sport, and not trying to chop out the legs of others sports. It’s just… unsportsman.

Especially this point of how badminton requires ‘this’ or ‘that’ that this other sport ‘doesn’t compare to’. Well, it’s a game… it’s a closed system, there are rules. People improve within the rules of the system. People get good at skills particular to the system. Sure, there are sports where the skills you obtain maybe more useful in other applications than the skills you obtain in another sport… but it’s a game.

And as to this whole schtick of how a top badminton player is better than a person who is a top X sport player… well, that’s just not logical.

I’m not saying that badminton sucks. I’m not saying that badminton shouldn’t be promoted. I’m do however want to emphasize that that as athletes, amateur or professional, sportsmanship is a paramount issue, as it is the common factor that unites all atheletes; and sportsmanship in this case means respect for other athletes, badminton and non-badminton players alike. We don't like it when people have misconceptions about badminton, or who put badminton down-- but neither do players of other sports like the return. Regardless of the sport we chose to dedicate ourselves in, we can still demonstrate infinite dedication, perseverence and ambition-- and that's what sport is about. The soul of athleticism and sportsmanship is a concept that transcends the sport itself, it's all about the feeling you get out of the game, it's all about blood sweat and tears, and those moment of affirmation when the training just is worth it. You recognize that feeling, if i describe elation, winning a victory hard earned? Or a defeat, despite so many hopes? Either way, this is the life of a sportsman and they are emotions shared by all-- the fact that the journey is shared distributes the burden, and thus all athletes are like our brothers and sisters.

So yes, promote the sport… but let’s not step on anyone elses’ toes and dreams just because they didn’t pick to be dedicated to the same sport as us. We have more in common than we may think, and we have more to learn from eachother about dedication than we can ever imagine... lead by example!:)

2. badmonte

badmonte Regular Member

I Agree

I also love badminton and it will be a life long passion, but I have coached and played football and can say that football has things in it that badminton can not touch. For instance, in football you need 11 players actnig in complete unison in order to move the ball effectivley. Learning to trust and work together with 11 other people for your success can not be duplicated in badminton and is a great experience and life skill. Again nothing ataken away from badminton, but it can't compete with football if your looking for that experience.

3. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

hmmm...yes..the point is u cant really compare two sports and say which is better....each individual sport have their own techniques and forms...

4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I would also like to say that each sport has their own particular physique.

Like football, some players are like 300 lbs and can run faster than most badminton players. Lol.

There are a lot of good and fun sports out there, you really got to try it to appreciate it.

Some people are born to play some sports, I can't play football because I naturally suck at throwing and catching the ball. =/

I always wanted to play hockey and wrestle. :D

5. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I agree that we shouldn't put down other sports as they all have their different merits.I just wish that badminton got the attention and reputation that it deserves.We all get so excited when we see a thundering slam dunk from the vertical jump to the rip of the mesh and the rim rebounding up and down.Whats the difference between that and a jump smash?Alot of the dynamics are similar yet we add body rotation, pronation and add a fine degree of aim and timing followed by a landing and acceleration to the next shot.
    In basketball they use the double pump motion to throw off the opponent so that the opponent jumps early.This allows them to jump after them and hit their peak of the jump and release the shot as the opponent is coming down with no way to stop the shot.In badminton we use shot delay which forces the player to fight their momentum of moving forwards ,backwards and sideways.
    In American football they use quick cuts to the right or left all in the name of getting into position for a catch.In badminton we use footwork in all planes of movement in retreival and execution of shots and never mind the execution of strategy while doing all this.
    In hockey they use the stick to receive passes and to stick handle the puck with fingerpoint finesse and can deliver the slapshot with enough precision to beat a guy with oversized pads, glove and stick in a net built to make this task difficult.In badminton we have a variety of shots we hit with the same degree of finesse ,power and speed with a larger area for our opponent to cover and yet even more amazingly they do.Yet nobody mentions this or relates this skill in their commentating and yet no basketball ,football or hockey player has ever gotten the information that this skill is employed and will not have an appreciation of this as long as badminton maintains its much undeserved sissy image.
    This is why we need more exhibitions by really skilled and talented players to the world wide athletic community and get those jocks with their athletic prowess to see and appreciate what challenges badminton has to offer.Perhaps we won't make them into fans or players but at least badminton would be given a fair evaluation and respect by the finest athletes in all these other fine sports which seem to dominate the television and hearts and minds of a world.
    I don't knock the other sports but yet when in a room with athletic minded people the chuckles,roll of the eyes and lack of appreciation that I get when I mention that I play badminton makes one a little defensive.Yet none of these so called more talented real athletes from different disciplines wishes to see if there is truth to what I tell them about my beloved sport.I can appreciate all athletics but I found what I consider the hardest to master and dearest to my heart . :) Badminton till I've fallen and can't get up any more period.

#5 bighook, Apr 17, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2005