Taunting opponents?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Somboa, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Somboa

Somboa Regular Member

Just wondering, is there a rule that says your opponent is not allowed to taunt you? Say you're playing doubles and the other side wins the point. Now there's being enthusiastic because you won the point (as seen on badminton tournaments) but is there a limit as to how far that can go?

Ie can you look at your opponent and go "yes!!!!" and pump your fist after every shot you win?

If there is such a rule, is it solely to the discretion of the umpire/referee?

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes. Usually clenching the fist and looking at the opponent results in being warned by the umpire. Repeated offences can result in Yellow card (which to this day I dont see the meaning of)

3. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

might be similar to soccer?

http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Tips_Dictionary_Terms_C.shtml

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    That's odd since in club format winding up the other team is the best part of the game, normally I stop the first time they cry ;)

5. HappyOne

HappyOne Regular Member

im not sure if taunting the opponent is illegal but it intimidates them if you do it too much. but for my personal opinion i would just congradulate my partner and not make too much of a big deal about it. dude there should be a friggin rule about the limitations on taunts because once i was playing and my opponents friends and family were standing behind me telling all sorts of taunts to me such as "OHHHH lets see you hit that." or "DAMNN that was WAYYYYY out". that pissed me off -___-

6. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

taunts usually don't hurt me... it just makes me want to beat them or hit them in the face or something... hahaha
    people who taunts are usually sucky and cocky so yea.. just hit them in the face a couple of times and they'll stop
    OR, you can hit them in the face and say "YEEESSS!!!... oh, i mean..., sorry"
    hahahaha
    that'll surely piss them off :-D

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I normally just wind them up so they fall about laughing and can't play as well as they could before..............good advantage to have.