Nasty Grip #2

Discussion in 'Grip' started by manduki, Apr 16, 2005.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I've debated whether to put this into the general forum, or the equipment forum but as I concluded grips as equipment, I post it here.

First off, I would like to tank everyone for being so responsive to my extra persperative (?) hands. I would also like to express my appology in having you to read such a disgusting thread once again.

Well, I've decided that I have to change my grips every 2 weeks or so and the smell was because i didn't dry it properly. I've solved the smell problem by leaving the gip outside of the thermo bag. Now I have a problem with colour.

Since white seemed to get dirty too fast, I bought a blue one off of a friend. After a week or so, the grip got dirty but I saw that my sweat was leaving yellowish marks. After 2 weeks, the grip was in a transition stage between blue and green.

A player whom I respect very much at the YMCA saw my grip and stated "Your grip turned green? thats nasty man." "That is not a good sign. Your sweat content is abnormal."

After replacing my grip, My thought was "Do i have a terrible disease?" I know I can't fix sweaty hands but can I fix this problem? I know there are many doctors here in this forum so do you recommend any food substances I shouldn't eat or anything I should eat? personally I prefer my grips to get dirty black :D

Thank you for your responses ^^:D

2. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    do u eat alot of foods which are high in fat? u should try drinking more water, in water i mean water, not soda or any soft drinks. another possibility is stress, it may cause your sweat to get oily

3. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Well, generally I don't see myslef as fat. I'm actually trying to gain weight:D. The stress part sort of rings a bell though;).

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    you shud post some pics for us to see :D just make sure nobody is eating when they're visiting BC though lol.. maybe we should have a nasty grips picture thread..

personally, although i have sweaty hands, the worst that's happened is my blue "tacky" overgrip turned shiny and weird to the touch :eek: and the moisture on it feels cold when i take leave it sitting around for a few minutes between games :p now, my overgrips are just getting a little black from dust/dirt/fungi/whatever grows there... bread molds or something lol

5. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Well currently, the nasty grip is put on backwards (left handed) so that i could use it for another week or so. I shall post the pictures within 3 hours when I have time to ungrip it and regrip it again:D.

By the way, is gripping a used grip backwards a good idea? I'm not very rich and can't afford to change grips too too often:eek:. Plus I'm saving up to buy a shoe~~!

6. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

You can regrip it upside down, so that it remains right-handed. I personally re-use them, as the other half (overlapped previously) is as good as new.

7. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Do you mean take the top part (where the Yonex tape was) and grip that at the bottom?

8. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Yup. If you have letters on your grip, then they would be upside down when you reused them.

PP you will have to trip the top (where the yonex tape was) with scissors to make it fit the butt of the racquet.

9. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    pictures

The pictures aren't very clear. Please note that the blue part is more blue and the green part is more green. In reality, its worse than the pictures

Attached Files:

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    So it's your palm that's sweating? Cause I was going to suggest using a wristband. However that only prevents sweat from your arm trickling down into your palm. If the sweat originates from you palm, though, a wrist sweatband won't work.

I do remember that there's some sort of powder that you can sprinkle on your palm/grip that absorbs moisture. Do a search for it. There's pictures, brand name etc.

-dave

11. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Or you can use home made towel grips cut from real towels (which are cheap and washable --> do a search).

The third solution for sweaty hands is to use these towel overgrips which looks like socks. They are "worn" over the handel and secured with tape at teh cone. Again, they are washable.

12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I honestly did consider making towel grips after I saw a thread dedicated to it. However, towel grips are just not my type (I don't know how else to word this). So even if it is a little more expensive, I decided to go with what I like- the overgrip.

However, my primary concern was sweating yellow. Not only is it not appealing to the eye, I have this mental thing whenever I look at my grip and think I have a terrible diseases. If I can fix this problem, I would be very thankful.

Thank you for your responses^^:D

P.S. In the thread where it explains how to make towel grips, they said to use a double layered tape. Just wondering if that would damage the original grip.:confused:

13. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    The only fear in using that is if my sweat is too great for the powder to handle and it mixes with my sweat ruining the grip.

14. wazzzzaaaas

wazzzzaaaas Regular Member

bro go to a doctor.. lol forget all this crap.. u have some kind of sweat gland disorder or something..lol