?? what kind / type of Racquet to buy n where to buy it ??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by sw33t, Apr 17, 2005.

1. sw33t

sw33t Regular Member

what type of racquet is better ? victor , yonex or black knight ? i am a junior female player , singles usually but I play doubles sometimes too . i don't know what's the difference between racquets . if anyone can explain , that'll be great .

i was wondering , where can you get cheap racquets ? i live in toronto right now but i might be going to hong kong this summer . are the racquets in china cheaper than the ones in toronto ?

really confused ...
    hope anyone can help me.
    thanx,
    Lindsay

2. sw33t

sw33t Regular Member

oh and
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    play two days a week , pretty serious
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    i'm pretty much all around
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    durability the most . wouldn't want to spend a few hundred canadian dollars just to play a few weeks with it ;)
    4. How much money do you want to spend?
    i am willing to spend up to 200 canadian dollars

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Well, since you're just beginning, I wouldn't recommend a expensive racquet.

The racquets you mentioned, yonex, blacknight, victor etc, are brand names for racquets. Yonex is one of the top of the line racquets.

I suggest you get a cheaper quality racquet such as a yonex isometric or carbonex model. Then work your way up.

4. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

there's a sport store that sells badminton rackets at jane/bloor....its called Brown's sports and cycle or sumting like that...or try at Lee's but i dunno where that is(north of toronto i guess) :)

5. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    They sell expensive racquets..

If you want a cheap okay beginner's racquet, go to sportchek. You could get a yonex isometric for around 60-70$ which is reasonable.

6. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

or at Sport Mart near 401/weston(near future shop)...i got my bk-carboknight there for 40$ but my friend was working there so i got it for a discount from 60$...so i guess thats a reasonable price?

7. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Cheapest racquets I recommend going to Yo's located at First Markham Place in Markham at Hwy 7 and Woodbine for the high quality and best racquets. Lee's isn't very cheap because compared Yo's, Yo's has cheaper racquet prices, and they only add the charge of strings with no service fee when you buy a racquet from them. Not to forget Yo's has a special "testing/trying-out" program where you can rent a racquet.

Yonex is the best quality racquet. Although you are willing to spend up to $200, since your a beginner, you'd probably want to spend less than $100 for your first racquet. Go to sportschek and buy an Isometric like someone mentioned for around $30-70. My uncle recently bought an Isometric 30 for himself since he's taking up badminton for about $30 from sportschek.

8. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    i would reccomend getting a cab 30 ms, take care of it real good
    wouldnt reccomend getting a racket like MP100
    (it was my first racket and broke like 2 weeks later)
    still bought another one lol

9. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    You really that she is a girl right? I don't think she needs an that much of an offensive racquet for her age, not to mention the weight of the racquet too.

10. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    yea, the sooner she uses it, the faster she will get use to it.
    its a great racket, i recommend for begginers (if you are commited to stick with it) make sure you take good care of it, dont let anyone use it:)

11. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    well she said she might be going back to HK this summer; keep that in mind. rackets in HK are about 50% cheaper than here in canada, so i would recommend buying there. i dont think she said anywhere on her post that she is a beginner :rolleyes: but in a blind recommendation, i would say try out the MP 2x (22 23 25 27 28). they are very well balanced, medium priced racket, and you can probably get them for about $80CAD or less in HK. much better than anything you are going to get in Toronto for that price. If you are ultra desparate for a really good racket, MP 99 and AT800DE are both very good well-rounded rackets, but probably not so good for beginners

if you can only buy a racket in Canada, and you are a beginner, i would recommend one of the Isometric series, from sportschek. otherwise the lower end Muscle Power (MP) series are good also (all rackets i listed are from yonex)

hope this helps :)

p.s. where did you guys get the information that she is young and beginner? i dont see any indications of these from her post. not knowledgeable about rackets doesn't equal beginner or young in age ;) (not saying its impossible)

#11 SWC_Ant, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  12. onegoodsoul

onegoodsoul Regular Member

Student
    Agree. MP2* series should be good.

Alternatively, some of the lower-mid end Carlton rackets are not too bad too.
    Try gettting the rackets from HK, it's not worth the price getting it here in Canada (unless you are really into Black Knight).

rgds~

13. sw33t

sw33t Regular Member

thanks everyone . i guess i'll wait a few months and buy it in HK :D .