Lee on a mission in Kedah

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: Shuttler Lee Chong Wei, boosted by his latest top-five world ranking, aims to maintain his unbeaten record in the local circuit when the Kedah Open begins on Thursday.

This is the first time that the national number one has reached the top-five in the world. And that’s just the right tonic for the 23-year-old to bring to Alor Star for the first of the three-leg national circuit.

There will be no international Open tournaments until the end of June and all eyes will be on the Kedah Open.

With the exception of Lee Wan Wah, all the players in the national team will be competing.

Chong Wei, who has been unbeaten in the local circuit for the last two years, is the top seed in the men’s singles event.

On paper, the Penang-born three-time national champion should reach the final.

However, Chong Wei will have to watch out for his constantly-improving teammates – Kuan Beng Hong and Mohd Roslin Hashim. Both are in the same half of the draw.

Beng Hong is now the world number 14, the highest he has attained in his career after some impressive performances in the international Open tournaments this year.

The Kedah-born player has improved a lot since training under coach Misbun Sidek this year. He is capable of springing a couple of surprises on his home turf.

Said Chong Wei: “I have a lot to play for as the defending national champion. There will be no international tournaments other than the Sudirman Cup and this competition will serve as a good warm-up.

“It will not be easy playing Beng Hong as he has improved a lot under Misbun. I have to watch out for him.

“But I hope to do well and win my first title in the national circuit this year.â€

The other half of the draw will also see an interesting battle with national number three Wong Choong Hann, Lee Tsuen Seng, Yeoh Kay Bin and Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the fray.

Hafiz, the winner of the Swiss and Thailand Opens last month, is the second seed and should be the one Chong Wei fears the most.

However, a question mark remains as to whether Hafiz, who currently has shoulder and knee injuries, will play this week.

“Hafiz is suffering from ligament stress on the knee and this was the reason he pulled out in the third round of the Japan Open last week,†said Misbun.

“He can still train but cannot perform running exercises. Hafiz will have another check-up with the doctor on Monday (today) and then we’ll see whether he can play in the Kedah Open,†added Misbun.

Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock are the top seeds in the men’s doubles and they can expect a stiff test from veterans Chew Choon Eng-Choong Tan Fook in the semi-finals.

Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming and Lin Woon Fui-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari should battle it out for a place in the final from the other half of the draw.

Vietnam SEA Games champion Wong Mew Choo will have a tough time getting back on the winning trail in the women’s singles competition. She is likely to face reigning national champion Anita Raj Kaur in the semi-final.

The other semi-final should pit Uber Cupper Julia Wong and last year’s National Grand Prix Finals runner-up Lydia Cheah.

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I hope he does good.