My smashes are so weak !!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Akatsuki, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

Damn, I hate my smashes,,when I smash from the end of the court, my smashes are so weak!! I though that by buyin an armortec, it will be stronger, but I only saw a slight difference. Can anybody help me !! I want to gain power ^^

2. synkro

synkro Regular Member

Well, I guess if you had the money a racket upgrade is nice. But like anything else in badminton, you're ability to perform a shot depends on your form. Smashing power comes from form, wrist and core strength, and a bit of everything else.

First off...try to be behind the shuttlecock when you hit the smash so you can get the downward angle in front of you. That means that you'll need to be fast and stabilize your body to get ready for the shot.

Don't force the smash with brute strength from your arm because that will only hurt it in the long run. The power is from your form and the snap of your wrist at the moment of impact.

So...work on the form and your strength.

3. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

What muscles do you have to train to increase smash power and how do you do it? TIA :)

4. synkro

synkro Regular Member

Badminton is a full body sport...so everything is beneficial haha.

But for smashing, do some weight exercises with a 5lb dumbbell on your wrist. This is where the power of your shot will be. Upperbody strength is great as well, but don't weigh yourself down too much with unnecessary muscles if you're that badminton oriented. Wrist, forearm, shoulders are the main muscles in your hits.

Get those legs stronger to move you faster and get behind the bird.

Core (abs, obliques, etc.) for stabilizing your body in awkward positions to hit better shots.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

So you're smashing from the baseline? If you are, then your smashes will have a higher rate of being returned because the bird will slow down a lot since it has to travel more distance. If you want more power, then try to figure out what technique is more suited for you. That's the only thing I can come up with for you and my smashes are very weak as well.

6. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Dun use wrist for power, use wrist for angle. Use LJB swing and rotation for power.

7. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

what is LJB wrist??
    Well, I have been playing about 5-7 years. But I came to realize lately that I dont improve anymore.:crying: My smashes have a fairly good direction/path with a good angle but it is just that the power is not there. I have a friend who started playin last year and I pratically taught everything he knows. I even sold him my old racket, but he has incredible strength. His method is to move his entire body and to swing his racket like crazy to have a longer range of motion. The angle of his smashes isnt good but it is really powerful.
    From what you guys are saying, I guess I should work on my wrist.:rolleyes:

8. synkro

synkro Regular Member

Hmm that's quite as many years as I've played. Other things to keep in mind for a strong smash is to put your body into the smash. This is done by, like earlier, being behind the bird and do that full stroke with a powerful snap of your wrist (with whichever you're most comfortable with) and lean into the shot.

#8 synkro, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  9. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    With your Armortec, whatever version it may be, I suggest the following. If you are right handed, your racquet leg should be behind your left leg when you prepare for a smash. Wind your arm back and when the birdie is about half a meter in front and above you, swing your arm while snapping your wrist when you contact the birdie. Your right leg should also be used as a weight transfer to add more power to the smash by following through with the stroke as you move your right leg in front of your left leg.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Maybe your problem is a lack of back swing. The most powerful arm, wrist or finger will be useless without a good back swing. Try to get a friend with you to observe the back swing of a good smasher-also take note of the movement of the non-racquet hand-and then ask your friend to observe the way you smash. The answer to your problem is probably somewhere there. :D

11. Akatsuki

Akatsuki Regular Member

Thank you guyz, I will try it on Friday ^^

12. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    You know... Have you read the Lee Jae Bok posts? They talk about the conventional loose grip vs the "grip that some pros don't even know their using". Little to no power comes from wrist. From the arm, it's mostly suprination/pronation. For doubles, I guess one would use more of the body.

13. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Look on the bright side. At least we know Yonex wasn't fooling around when it said there would be increase in power from the newly designed Armortecs!!