help me in my gripping plz

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by theasiandude88, Apr 18, 2005.

1. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i use this grip for my forehand strokes (clears, smash, drop) any suggestions? in one picture has a red cirlce, i am always experiencing pain in that pain and its very painful. it might be imflammation or some other ting but i am not sure. (i dunt know which angles people need, so i took pictures from most of the importnat angles)

thnx for your advices

Attached Files:

2. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

should be a stress zone, did you hold the racquet tigh all the time

3. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    sometimes i just find myself holding the racquet really tight without knowing it since i get so sucked up into the game but most of the time i try to be relax.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's your problem. you need to relax.

5. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Yeah, relax. Try to spin the racquet between points, helps ease the grip. I had this problem last year during revision...from writing to much. My doctor suggested to massage that area by "washing your hands" --> same motion as hand washing, but just without the soap, or with some hand cream.

Also, you can afford to make your grip a bit bigger, as this relieves the pressure on that problematic area.

Hope this helps :)

#5 jcl49, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  6. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

by the way i think it's time u changed your overgrip... it's getting a little dirty :p

7. HoustonRockets

HoustonRockets Regular Member

hey, are u living in Monterey park?

where you go play? rosemead ?

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You should hold your racquet a bit loose in a relaxed manner. This is vital for power, finger power, as the fingers will generate some important 'back swing'-the source of the power-when you grip the handle for the stroke. From a relaxed and loose state to a griped state, a 'back swing' is generated where there was none before. :D

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's nearly a perfect grip for smashes :) This is the grip that Lee Jae Bok recommends, and I agree with him. There are problems though:
    • This grip is only good for overhead forehands (smash, clear, drop). For other forehand shots, you need different grips.
    • The grip looks slightly too small for you. I think you need one more layer of grip tape.
    • Your fingers should be wrapped around the grip, not open. The thumb should be touching the grip with its pad, rather than with its side. Same goes for the index finger.

You're not really holding the racket comfortably in your fingers. Since when did you ever hold anything with straight fingers? Fingers are meant to wrap comfortably around whatever you're holding; you have three joints on each finger (two for the thumb), so use them ;)

I think the reason that you are keeping your fingers straight, rather than naturally curling them around the handle, is that the grip is too small. Often in badminton we must look for indirect causes of a player's technical difficulty - because if you don't remove the indirect cause, your direct solution won't work.

With too small a grip, there isn't room for fingers to wrap comfortably around the handle - so you straighten them.

#9 Gollum, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I agree with Gollum, your grip looks too small.