Where to play in North Delta?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by rosslaird, Apr 18, 2005.

1. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

I am returning to badminton after 20 years, and I'm enjoying playing with my 11-year-old daughter at the family badminton sessions offered at Sun God arena in North Delta (BC). But I'd also like to find adult badminton for myself. I looked at a listing of Vancouver area courts (here: http://www.wishtrade.com/coaching/Wheretoplay.html) and the list showed three different possibilities in my area:

North Delta Badminton Club (at Sands school, about 5 minutes away)
    White Rock Badminton Club (nearby)
    Sunshine Hills Badminton (across the street from my house!)

Of these, I could find contact info only for the first one. I called the contact person but did not hear back, and I went to a listed session -- nobody was there.

So, I'm stuck. Does anybody know how I can get in touch with any of these clubs?

Thanks.

Ross Laird

I found contact info (I'm hoping it's current) for White Rock and Sunshine Hills. Anyone have current info for the ND club, or others not on my list?

#1 rosslaird, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

3. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

North Delta

Thanks for the help, and the link.
    Some of the contact info on the badmintonbc list may be out of date:

North Delta Badminton 604-594-6145 (call not returned)
    Sunshine Hills Badminton 604-596-9071 (call not returned)
    southsidebadminton.com (unused domain)

(I have not yet checked Ocean park, White Rock, and Tsawassen, as they are a bit farther for me.)

On the up-side, I have discovered that between Sun God Rec centre, South Delta Rec centre, and the YMCA Surrey, there are a number of drop-in sessions each week in my area:

Sun God: Tuesday (9am-12pm), Saturday (9-11am), Thursday (8:15-11pm)
    South Delta: Monday/Wednesday, 12:30pm-2:30pm
    Tong Louie YMCA: Monday (9pm-10:30pm), Saturday (7am-9:30am)

Thanks again for the help and the prompt reply.
    Cheers.

Ross

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Hi Ross
    The various North Delta badminton clubs have gradually disappeared over the years, and most of the past members dispersed to the other centers.

A center that you may consider, there are a number of players from the older Delta clubs that attend from time to time, is Queen's park arenex located in New Westminster, just a couple minutes from the north side of the Patullo bridge. It is an on-going drop in Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6:50 to 8:20. Most players get there 6:30 to 6:40. Although the time seems a bit awkward, it is a great time to play as you do get home well before 9:00 and not too late.

Hope to see you there sometimes.

Badrad

5. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

NW sessions

Thanks for the info, Badrad. Queen's park is actually not too far from me -- about 15 minutes if the traffic is light. And 6:50 is an excellent time. I teach on Thursday nights, but perhaps I'll come to an upcoming Tuesday session.

Cheers.

Ross

6. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

New Westminster badminton

Badrad;

I've gone the last couple of Tuesday nights to Queens Park and have enjoyed it very much (despite being one of the worst players!).

I plan to continue going to as many Tuesdays as I can. The people seem very friendly.
    Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

Ross

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    We must have not connected since I am also there every Tuesday and Thursday. I'm that loud obnoxious asian fellow who harangues those younger guys...

Were you there tonight? Since I do notice most new faces, were you that tall fellow who popped or cramped a calf tonight?

Badrad

#7 badrad, May 10, 2005
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  8. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

Yup, I was there tonight.
    Nope, I didn't hurt myself (luckily).

I'm a white guy with brown hair, 40, about 5'9". Tonight I played with two other guys from Southeast Asia and a couple of Asian players as well. I was mostly on the right side of the gym, in the middle court.

I'll look for you next week -- I'm thinking maybe you're the really fit guy with short gray hair.

Ross

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    i'm not fit but i got short grey hair. i move like a slug on the court, less the slime trail. tonite was so muggy in the gym, and I got beaten up by mrs. badrad and her partner. :p

10. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

Oooo... I need to play with some friendly players. I don't mind losing! :) Can someone give me the address for Queen's Park? And how much is a drop-in?

Thanks.

11. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

New West location

Hi Yogi;

I think it's about 4 bucks.

I don't know the exact address, but it's right in Queen's Park, in a building near the middle of the park called the "Arenex" (I think). You can get in at the back of the park (the McBride entrance has been closed when I have tried it). Turn off McBride either at Royal (I come over the Patullo bridge and this is what I do); or, if you're coming east from Burnaby, you would turn right on 6th Avenue, (at the lights after the Justice Institute, which will be on your left, along with a community centre and a pedestrian overpass).

(You can see the directions pretty clearly if you go to maps.google.com and enter "McBride Blvd, New Westminster" in the search box. You can zoom in by clicking on the plus sign at left.)

Drive around to the back of the park, onto 1st St., and turn in the main entrance there. Drive straight down to the Arenex.

Cheers.

Ross

12. rosslaird

rosslaird Regular Member

North Delta

By the way, there are also very friendly players in North Delta, at the SunGod arena on 112th St. Sessions are Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings.