IBF site

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by park, Mar 13, 2000.

1. park

park Guest

<html>The webmaster of the World Badminton site seems to think we should all be grateful that the IBF is providing news and results. Well - maybe, but why is the new site worse and less informative than the old shuttlenews ? As a former subscriber to World Badminton magazine it's very disappointing its been replaced with a poor website. Also the webmaster seems to think people should buy a seventeen inch monitor so the site can be seen correctly.<br>The webmaster is complaining about critcisms in these forums but why not try improve the site ? Its been a few months now.<p>The webmaster said she is disappointed with the critcisms but I guess most people are disappointed with the site.<br>
    </html>

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    <html>Hi,<p>i am not sure what IBF's response would be, but here is my own opinions on your comments regarding the IBF site.<p>having created and maintained a (this) website myself, i just want to say, it is *a lot* of work to design, create and maintain a website well.<p>IBF saw where the future of journalism is heading and made the initiative to give badminton a better representation in the world wide web, and in my opinion, we should commend it instead of complain about it. sure, if you think the website can be improved, then i am sure IBF will listen and perhaps they are working on it. to redesign a site takes time.<p>perhaps IBF is a bit short handed and aren't executing as quickly as we would like them. i'd love to lend my hands if they needed it.<p>now that new shuttlenws has disappeared from the web, IBF is perhaps the best source of badminton news on the web, i'd love to have such a news source for badmintoncentral, but unfortunately, that just won't happen.<p>so for now, be happy and whack some birdie! :)<p>-kwun<br>webmaster of badminton central.<p>: The webmaster of the World Badminton site seems to think we should all be grateful that the IBF is providing news and results. Well - maybe, but why is the new site worse and less informative than the old shuttlenews ? As a former subscriber to World Badminton magazine it's very disappointing its been replaced with a poor website. Also the webmaster seems to think people should buy a seventeen inch monitor so the site can be seen correctly.<br>: The webmaster is complaining about critcisms in these forums but why not try improve the site ? Its been a few months now.<p>: The webmaster said she is disappointed with the critcisms but I guess most people are disappointed with the site.<p>
    </html>

3. <html>Hello.<p>I'm glad to post here my first comments. I'm <br>talking from Brazil and badminton is still slowly <br>growing here.<p>If it is difficult for you to obtain news on <br>badminton, you can imagine how harder it is for <br>us here.<p>I think it was a good idea by IBF to place the <br>magazine on the web. As Kwun said, it is the <br>future of journalism. And it will be the best way <br>to interchange information througout the world.<p>Still, the format is not good yet. I myself have <br>a humble experience in maintaning a site and I <br>agree that it is very hard to do it. I would like<br>to change many things in my own sites, but time<br>sometimes seems to fly away.<p>In my opinion, by exchanging information here, <br>we'll be able to help improve the site so that <br>we have the best source of information for all of<br>us.<p>And I'd like to post a suggestion. The site should <br>not be loaded with images, because it gets too<br>heavy and slow to load. And it should be prepared <br>for a smaller resolution, as most of us still <br>don't use 1024x768. Professional sites usually use <br>the traditional 640x480 resolution, because it suits<br>everybody. Perhaps a more professional look could<br>help atract more sponsors.<p>Anyway, I think we got a good start. My<br>congratulations to IBF. And keep on improving. <br>Badminton has such a great potential. I hope<br>one day we'll make it popular here in Brazil.<p>Regards,<p>Ricardo Nagato<br>Secretary<br>Badminton Federation of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil<br>http://www.febarj.com
    </html>

4. Lindsey, IBF

Lindsey, IBF Guest

<html>Park - very sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the World Badminton site, but I'm afraid no matter what direction it takes in the, it's here to stay. The World Badminton magazine, quite simply, was not economically viable.<p>I'm more than happy to admit that the site is far from perfect, and we have ideas in the pipeline which will hopefully improve the site further. As for saying most people are disappointed with the site - I can't agree with you there. In only 8 weeks we've scored nearly 70,000 visitors (not hits, visitors) to the site, and in March alone we've got nearly 30,000. This figure rises month on month, so if everyone was as disappointed with the site as you say they are, they have a funny way of showing it.<p>Seriously, though, Park - I've got nothing against these forum discussions... I think theyre great and I'm certainly not adverse to criticism. I DO think, however, that if people have issues with the site, they should be directed at the right people, instead of hidden away in other sites. I'm always happy to listen to constructive criticism, and although I simply don't have time to act on everything, I'll do my best - that's all I can say.<p>Instead of having digs about the site, Park, why not contact me with some suggestions and I'd be happy to discuss them with you?<p>As for Shuttlenws, we were as disappointed as you to see it disappear - they were able to send people to cover events which we are not always in a position to do. We can but try, and have had lots of positive comments about our news coverage.<p>Kwun, Ricardo - thanks for your support!! Much appreciated!
    </html>

5. park

park Guest

<html><br>Yes - I agree with your points. I had never intended to complain but I just thought that the webmaster in question seemed to be so easily offended and unable to conceed that layout of the site is wrong. I mean she's obviously getting paid for the job and there must be others who could do it better.<p>I supported the IBF in a small way by subscribing to the magazine and a portion of the fees I pay to the my national association must reach the IBF in some way. So why not complain about what happened to it? Why take a backward step when shuttlenews was better. Clarity is paramount. Badminton Central is well laid out - all useful info is at hand on the home page and if Kwun had the source info at hand you can bet it would be in a clear format - and he is not doing it full time.<p>On the China badminton forum the webmaster in question attacked the critics, also adding "she was disappointed" and "these people would only criticize in a forum that is hidden away" - c'mon please !!! Why can't people discuss the site without the webmaster trying to block comments about it. <p>I don't mean to be negative and do not wish to offend the World Badminton webmaster - I'm sure I couldn't do much better. Anyway I look forward to the site's improvement.<p>P.S I am happy and love to whack the birdie !!<br>
    </html>

6. Lindsey, IBF

Lindsey, IBF Guest

<html>Park - see previous comment in this forum where World Badminton "webmaster" (ie, me!) HAS conceded there are many improvements which could be made to the site.<p>I don't mean to attack critics, and as I said in my previous response to you, I have absolutely NOTHING against such comments in these forums, but why not speak to me directly - I don't bite! I more than happy to listen to constructive criticism, and most certainly welcome it. I am in no way trying to block comments about the websites, which is why I spend some time trying to respond as best I can to any criticisms<p>By the way, there is no full-time webmaster - it is just one of many responsibilities I have to contend with, which is why I'm not able to spend as much time developing the site as I would like.<p>As I said before, why not drop me a line suggesting some possible changes to the site? I can't guarantee I'll be able to implement them, but I'll try my best - I think that's fair, don't you?<p>Best wishes.....<br>
    </html>

7. Park

Park Guest

<html>: Park - see previous comment in this forum where World Badminton "webmaster" (ie, me!) HAS conceded there are many improvements which could be made to the site.<p>: I don't mean to attack critics, and as I said in my previous response to you, I have absolutely NOTHING against such comments in these forums, but why not speak to me directly - I don't bite! I more than happy to listen to constructive criticism, and most certainly welcome it. I am in no way trying to block comments about the websites, which is why I spend some time trying to respond as best I can to any criticisms<p>: By the way, there is no full-time webmaster - it is just one of many responsibilities I have to contend with, which is why I'm not able to spend as much time developing the site as I would like.<p>: As I said before, why not drop me a line suggesting some possible changes to the site? I can't guarantee I'll be able to implement them, but I'll try my best - I think that's fair, don't you?<p>: Best wishes.....<p><br>Yes- that's fair. Sorry I didn't catch your previous reply.Thanks for the positive response. Good luck..<p>
    </html>

8. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    <html>: : Park - see previous comment in this forum where World Badminton "webmaster" (ie, me!) HAS conceded there are many improvements which could be made to the site.<p>: : I don't mean to attack critics, and as I said in my previous response to you, I have absolutely NOTHING against such comments in these forums, but why not speak to me directly - I don't bite! I more than happy to listen to constructive criticism, and most certainly welcome it. I am in no way trying to block comments about the websites, which is why I spend some time trying to respond as best I can to any criticisms<p>: : By the way, there is no full-time webmaster - it is just one of many responsibilities I have to contend with, which is why I'm not able to spend as much time developing the site as I would like.<p>: : As I said before, why not drop me a line suggesting some possible changes to the site? I can't guarantee I'll be able to implement them, but I'll try my best - I think that's fair, don't you?<p>: : Best wishes.....<p>: <br>: Yes- that's fair. Sorry I didn't catch your previous reply.Thanks for the positive response. Good luck..<p><br>Lindsey's tone has changed. I agree with Park. Lindsey was giving the impression that people shouldn't say anything about her site unless directly addressed to her - and that if people left messages in the forum that they were trying to hide away from her - but she warned "don't think your comments will go unnoticed". Total bullshit. I'm sure every badminton fan wishes the World Badminton site well but I think the representative of the IBF on the web could be more diplomatic and not swoop down the second someone mentions the IBF.<p>For example if I said something like "Yonex are ripping players off by continually discontinuing rackets even if the new models are worse than the old ones" I wouldn't expect yonex to tell me to only address comments directly to them. <br>Paul<p>
    </html>

9. Lindsey. IBF

Lindsey. IBF Guest

<html>: : : Park - see previous comment in this forum where World Badminton "webmaster" (ie, me!) HAS conceded there are many improvements which could be made to the site.<p>: : : I don't mean to attack critics, and as I said in my previous response to you, I have absolutely NOTHING against such comments in these forums, but why not speak to me directly - I don't bite! I more than happy to listen to constructive criticism, and most certainly welcome it. I am in no way trying to block comments about the websites, which is why I spend some time trying to respond as best I can to any criticisms<p>: : : By the way, there is no full-time webmaster - it is just one of many responsibilities I have to contend with, which is why I'm not able to spend as much time developing the site as I would like.<p>: : : As I said before, why not drop me a line suggesting some possible changes to the site? I can't guarantee I'll be able to implement them, but I'll try my best - I think that's fair, don't you?<p>: : : Best wishes.....<p>: : <br>: : Yes- that's fair. Sorry I didn't catch your previous reply.Thanks for the positive response. Good luck..<p>: <br>: Lindsey's tone has changed. I agree with Park. Lindsey was giving the impression that people shouldn't say anything about her site unless directly addressed to her - and that if people left messages in the forum that they were trying to hide away from her - but she warned "don't think your comments will go unnoticed". Total bullshit. I'm sure every badminton fan wishes the World Badminton site well but I think the representative of the IBF on the web could be more diplomatic and not swoop down the second someone mentions the IBF.<p>: For example if I said something like "Yonex are ripping players off by continually discontinuing rackets even if the new models are worse than the old ones" I wouldn't expect yonex to tell me to only address comments directly to them. <br>: Paul<p>OK - let's try and dispel some of this bad feeling once and for all....<p>I apologise profusely if I gave the impression that all comments should be addressed directly to me - that was never my intention. I welcome comments in these forums (you never know, WB might have one of its own one day!) but I what I was trying to get across was, if you feel that strongly that the site needs improvement, why don't you tell me AS WELL as discussing it on the forums? Otherwise how am I expected to know that you don't like it? I agree, I should have been more diplomatic and I'm sorry if I came across too heavily - I have bad days too!!<p>You have to remember that as "Media Officer" and not just webmaster, my job is to try and defend and promote IBF decisions, including the implementation of the WB project. Admittedly, I can't get everything right, and on this occasion, I guess I didn't.<p>I'm hoping we can draw a line under this negative feeling now by saying once again I'm always willing to receive any comments on the site. Time is something I'm very short of, so I can't guarantee I'll be able to implement changes, but you have my word that I'm trying my best, and I always have been.<p>With best intentions.....<p>
    </html>

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Ya, right.... Try answering your email as a start.