Taufik quits.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by news, Oct 15, 2001.

1. news

news Guest

Taufik said he <a target=_top href="http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailsports.asp?fileid=20011016.L01&irec=0">quits</a>.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I have nothing to say, prehaps the resignation of Tony, Flandi, Eng, Yuli, Ellen, Indarti etc wasn't only due to their "studies"....... Maybe this is why Flandi/Eng ended up in England......

3. Greg

Greg Guest

Taufik should play for another country.
    Malaysia has said that they are more than happy to accept Taufik in their squad.
    In addition to earning more income, he will have more opportunity to play in EVERY tournament !!!

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    If he wants to play in every tournament and get more income, Singapore is the place to go. Singapore buys all their talent and 90% of their goods are imported. So what difference is this going to make? Just add Taufik to Indra and Ronald....... Then all we need is 2 decent doubles pairs and the Thomas Cup could be ours.....

But honestly, its stupid that Taufik is quitting, hes wasting his talent in my opinion. If the PBSI is really the reason for all the players quitting, someone should do something about it. The 1st shock was Flandi/Eng then Tony Gunawan, now Taufik......

what the hell!?!

5. RR Nair

RR Nair Guest

The New scoring system may be the culprit !!!

6. libra

libra Guest

I think not.
    Looking at results, Taufik won the Singapore open under the new scoring 5x7
    but lost at the ABC 3x15....
    What a waste of talent and a big loss to the badminton world.
    He's about the best there is in the world right now...
    Let's hope he reconsiders or at least carries on playing on his own just like the break away Nusa Mahsuri of Malaysia

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Something very fishy is going on at the PBSI.
    Why suddenly this year have we seen a spate of resignations?
    Taufik was the only one to speak out, the others have been more diplomatic.

With PBSI in such disarray, the Thomas Cup must soon return to China!

8. John

John Guest

I don't think he's the best now. Xia SZ is the best. Taufik HAD the potential to be the best, but he does not have the humility and temperament to be No.1 Pity, but many young people just cannot be great because of some fatal character flaw. He is a very strong headed youngster, but in a couple of years he will find he is no longer the prodigy everyone was crowing over - he will just be another good player who's not lived up to expectations. Sun Jun also had this streak of self-destruct but fortunately for him he self-destruct AFTER getting the big things. Taufik has nothing yet, by comparison, so why is having such a big head? John.

9. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    At least he is much better than you :)

10. ChokinCrew

ChokinCrew Guest

The money is the problem as why so many Indonesian players quit

11. AS

AS Guest

What a terrible shame and waste but only he truly knows what is really going on behind the scenes, short term and long term, so we shouldn't be too critical. Obviously fans are dissapointed but if players like Tony Gunawan are quitting whilst being Olympic champion and No. 1 in the world then i think like most of you have said that there is definitely something very fishy going on within the PBSI. Maybe its a deliberate ploy for Rexy to send over some English players for some real coaching, i dont know.

John does have a point about Taufik and his temperament but i think in all fairness at his tender age with all that money and fame and women (i think) the last thing he needed was the one person that he confided in to be sacked aswell. i.e his coach. I personally wish him all the best for the future and if he does get offered to play for England his more than welcome, come to think about it we are looking for a player for our second division team.

12. John

John Guest

Yudhi,
    If you cannot say anything useful, get off the forum. Don't get personal. John

13. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    You can say great things about other players but remember, Taufik is only 20, he would still have another good 5-10 years in the badminton world to prove something great. You can't compare him with other players that have been playing for longer than he has

14. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I doubt so, i'm quite sure we'll see players like Tony Gunawan and Taufik pop up again soon in the international scene. But in different colours

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I heard that PBSI gets a sizable part of players prize money. Is this true?

16. ChokinCrew

ChokinCrew Guest

Yes Cheung
    it's one of the reason why many of its players quit

17. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    It make sense that the PBSI gets some of the player's earnings from tournaments but prehaps too much is deducted

18. John

John Guest

I agree with both AS and B-N. IBA must ask itself why this flight of talent en-masse. I also agree that Taufik is young.
    But, in a disagreement between 2 parties, there are two sides to the story and argument. Is any outsider in a position to call?
    We too often excuse him for his youth, and from outside condemn the IBA. How often can we do that and is that the whole story? Youth is also the time for discipline and learning to accept authority. Dictate your terms later when you are in a better position to do so.
    Youth lasts only so long. We proclaimed Taufik a prodigy and new star when he emerged at 18. He is no longer new; Lin, Bao and Doncorro who are moving walls are younger, and for 10-15 months we can't see the star for the clouds, thunder and lightning. Meantime, we are regaled by Ji XP's flash in the pan, Roslin's exploits. Lee Tsuen Seng breakthrough and Xia's rise. Taufik? He is more famous as a cause celebre and because of his quarrels, suspensions, etc. Why? It is also a moot point why he was never in the Indo team for the WJC in 1998.

Let's get back to badminton and remember him as the man of whom we had great expectations. He may become the best player yet, which will be great, but on track record, nyet. John.

19. AS

AS Guest

Re: But should they.....

I mean foe someone who just loves the game and admires all the players for their talent and skill in the world of badminton, i think its kind of like selling your soul to quit from playing for your country and then pop up somewhere else in european colours and i might just add how do you think Rexy truly feels about coaching english players whom he knows will end up playing against players from his native country.

From seeing his patriotism in the Sudirman Cup of 1999 i found it shocking news that he was the new english coach, somehow there's more to these things than meets the eye, apart from the obvious thing which is money i can't think of anything else.

But anyway i hope he can help to produce some excellent to make more entertaining badminton for us retired pros to watch.

Over and out, by the way John where are you from and are you a teacher?

20. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Re: But should they.....

I guess they do it for the money. Sadly many players do, but others do it as they just need more chance to play. Like Indra Wijaya in Singapore. He gets to play a lot more often than he did in Indonesia