New club open for summer in Montreal : RsM Weekender Club!

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Jinryu, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    To all you badminton players in the Montreal (Quebec) area who are having a hard time finding an affordable place to play during the summer:

Racketsports Montreal will be opening the RsM "Weekender" Club at CEGEP Andre Laurendeau this summer. The Weekender Club is a non-profit badminton club that hopes to offer well priced court time to all-- proceeds go towards gym rentals, and surpluses go towards renting more simultaneous gyms and/or extending session hours.

The club will be opened on Saturdays and Sundays, starting May 14th. Each session will be open from 6pm until 10pm. Attendance is on a drop-in or membership basis. The rates are:

Single person drop-in: 7$ per person

Two or more people drop-in: 6$ per person

10-week membership to play once per weekend: 50$ (comes out to 5$ per session) per person

10-week membership to play twice per weekend: 80$ (comes out to 4$ per
    session) per person

We're hoping to continue this club well through summer and into the fall semester, which is why our memberships go in 10-week increments; the actual "summer season" for us is actually from May until September, though memberships will carry on into our fall season without interruption. Myself and silentlight from BF will be there volunteering our services by giving free basic badminton lessons. As summer gym rentals are expensive, we ask you to help us share the costs of spreading badminton in Montreal; in exchange, we offer you good facilities (non-slip synthetic coated floors and good lighting),
    some good old fashioned badminton, and the chance to make some friends in badminton players of all levels.

Andre Laurendeau CEGEP is located at 1111 Lapiere in LaSalle, it's just minutes away from Angrignon metro on the 113 bus. Parking is available for 1$ per night or 8$ for a summer pass.

We hope to see you there!:)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's great to see some of our fellow BFers donate their valueable time and effort to help establishing another program. Wish the best for ur success!!!

Hmmm... should I book a trip to Montreal now??? ;)

3. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Well, considering you're paying as much as you do to play badminton in the U.S., I don't see why not!:rolleyes:

4. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Jinryu forgot to mention that admission is free for everyone on the first day, that is May 14 when the club officially opens, so, bring everyone you know who is physically able to play some baddy :).

5. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Haha i might finally be able to play some baddy near my house! Ill definitely drop by :D

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

I think someone told me this once, and it's a nice way to phrase it:

"Bring your friends, and bring your enneimes!":D

No, seriously, it's some good old fashioned badminton. It's always been murder trying to find a place to play in LaSalle, nevermind Montreal as a whole... hopefully we have enough people to survive the summer.

P.S. LazyBddy, let us know when you come down and we'll book not just the courts for you but we'll schedule dim sum marathons as well.

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

The website is up, you can check at www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/Weekender for it. If ever the club is going to cancel (due to holidays for example) or if we're going to extend our hours or make any changes, that's where you should go for the updates.

8. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Jinryu, I think you guys made a typo on the website, its says to use the 133 bus, shouldn't it be 113 and 110 instead:p

9. silentlight

student/programmer
    Yes Wai Shing, you're absolutely right.

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Whoooooooooops.:eek:

Well, thank god someone pointed it out before someone circled around Angrignon metro for an hour then gave up looking for a mystery bus.

I'll fix it as soon as I get home from work, thanks for pointing it out!

By the way, I was intending to put in a map to get to the school also, does anyone here have any extensive experience with these things that can recommend some online road-map that fits the bill effectively?

11. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

studies!! studies!! studies!!
    Woohooo!! true!! playing badminton at lasalle finally!!!
    Just to let you know guys.. i work just at the depanneur inside metro Angrignon during weekends from 8am - 2pm, come pass by say hello to me!! but no free coke!! lolz! the boss gonna kill me :p

12. silentlight

student/programmer
    Ask your boss to come too :D

13. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Revised Club Times and Rates

Because Sunday nights haven't had as high attendance as we had hoped for, the RsM Club is closing its sunday night sessions. We've talked it over with a bunch of our members and have decided instead to move those 4 hours to the Saturday session.

So now, the RsM Club is going to be open only on Saturdays
    2pm until 10pm. A lot of people have expressed that because saturday nights are "party nights", they'd like to be able to play in the afternoon so that they can go out at night, so this may be ideal for you. Our saturdays in the past two weeks have had a nice balance of players of all levels and both sexes... I'd been meaning to put some pictures up for you all to see, but our photographer took over 150 pictures so it's a bit hard to chose our favorites! Those will come soon.

Single person drop-in: 7$ per person

Two or more people drop-in: 6$ per person

10-week membership:
    50$ (comes out to 5$ per
    session) per person

10-week group membership rate for 4 people or more:
    40$ (comes out to 4$ per
    session) per person

If you're one of those diehard badminton players who can play 8 hours in a row, that's fine with us; get the most out your money. In fact, we need diehard people like you at the courts to make everyone else work harder. You can leave and take a supper break and come back if you want, you won't get charged more than once per day for drop-in rates. We used to have only 4 courts, but now we've got a 5th as well for people who don't want to play matches but would rather do drills and footwork, etc.

Your first visit to the RsM club is always free, so if you missed the open house, this is a great opportunity for you to get a "free sample". Hope to see you there!

14. zavosh

zavosh New Member

Do you accept old men?;)

15. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Hah! Depends on your definition of old. I'm technically young, but I play with two knee braces and I'm getting a new pair of safety goggles next week.:cool: So just what does "old men" imply?

But seriously, one of the things I like about the club is that we have a full range of skill levels from top to bottom. When people come in I tell them "the rule is that everyone should get to play, so invite people to join you", so I think you should find yourself right at home, and shouldn't have any problems finding partners/opponents to match up. Hope to see you there!

16. Volts

Volts Regular Member

nice, i'll definately go there to check it out

17. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    To all Montreal Bfers, let's all meet at RSM!

18. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Good idea

Great idea! Perhaps Jinryu can organize something like a friendly tournament? :) Btw, didn't notice the time I went, but does Andre-L. have AC in their gyms?

19. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

studies!! studies!! studies!!
    oh yeah! a friendly tournamant would be good! maybe i should talk to Jinryu abt that :)
    oh no AC unfortunately lolz! but they have 2 big fans which don't really help! lolz

20. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

This weekened should be a great time to come actually, since all the recent rain has been cooling LaSalle down pretty well. The CEGEP has informed me that there is no AC (there's actually no physical machine for AC in those gyms-- if you came during the first 3 weeks, the only reason why it seemed to be cold in there was because it'd been colder most of the week, and because the vents were functioning properly) This weekend, the the ventilators will be back up. The past few weeks were exceptionally hot due to the heat wave so that unfortunately can't be helped. If there was full frost AC, it would cost a lot more to rent and the cheapos at the school's administration would charge me extra for electricity:( which I simply can't afford, and I don't want to raise prices either. I'm really sorry about all that, but it will be better, thanks for sticking with us!

And, actually, it's not a secret or anything but I was looking into a tournament, the first ever "RsM Amateur Open" that you may have read about on the website at some point. The tournament's date has yet to be decided, but it will be at the end of July-- with craploads of prizes! There would be no rank limitations to join since RsM isn't part of any of the Montreal leagues at this time. Friendly tournament, indeed, but-- there will be prizes!

I don't have much more information about it right now that isn't "top secret", but I'm requesting a tournament sponsorship from one of the companies I deal with (SOTX)-- and if it goes well, we'll have something rackets, bags, t-shirts and MORE to give away if we can get an attendance of about 50 doubles teams. My basic goal is that the top third of participants get a prize, and everyone (even people who lose every single match) will get a consolation prize.

I'm still consulting with some people who have already organized tournaments though, as this is my first time-- but I'm working on it. Hopefully you guys will be able to back me up when the time comes and make this as enjoyable as possible with your participation!:cool: