Tsuen Seng and Beng Hong slog it out at the Kedah Open

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by ants, Apr 21, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    ALOR STAR: National players Kuan Beng Hong and Lee Tsuen Seng narrowly escaped losses to unheralded opponents in the men’s singles, second round of the Kedah Open Badminton Championship last night.

Top seeds Lee Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann, however, had easy times. Chong Wei cruised past Darren Liew 15-4, 15-9 while Choong Hann thumped Chong Wei Feng 15-2, 15-3.

Beng Hong had to fight off a spirited display from fellow Kedahan Tan Chun Seang as well as a back strain before prevailing 10-15, 15-5, 15-11 at the Sultan Abdul Halim Indoor Stadium.

Despite his defeat, the 19-year-old national back-up shuttler Chun Seang was happy.

“This is the first time that I faced Beng Hong in competition. I believe this was my best performance so far as I came within a whisker of beating him,†said Chun Seang, who had to rush to the toilet to vomit while holding serve at game point during the first game.

He came back to wrap up the first game but was let down by his inferior fitness level in the next two.

In the absence of the Hashim brothers, Hafiz and Roslin, Beng Hong is seen as the only player likely to prevent a final clash between Chong Wei and Choong Hann.

However, the 2004 Taiwan Open finalist chose to play down his chances.

“My back strain, which cropped up during a training session last Saturday, is bothering me very much. I was in pain every time I jumped up to smash.

“I am afraid that I might have to give a walkover in the quarter-final tomorrow if I wake up in greater pain. Being able to compete tomorrow will be a big achievement for me, so I am not thinking about beating Chong Wei yet,†said Beng Hong, who is in the same half with the top seed.

The 22-year-old Beng Hong will take on another back-up shuttler, Law Yew Thien in the last eight today.

While Beng Hong had to deal with back strain, Tsuen Seng was troubled by indigestion in his match against former national player Ismail Saman.

The Perak shuttler had to dig deep into his reserves to come back from a game down to win his tie 10-15, 15-10, 15-6.

“I ate too much curry this afternoon and the indigestion gave me problems during the match.

Although I won, I am not happy with my performance. I believe I can improve certain aspects of my game, especially my serve,†said Tsuen Seng.

Tsuen Seng takes on Lim Kenn in the quarter-finals today, with Chong Wei playing K.Yogendran and Choong Hann takes on Yeoh Kay Bin.