Table Tennis

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I already play badminton for 2-3 years, but i also want to play table tennis just for fun. i know table tennis can have some affects on my badminton game, but my question is will it have a negative or a positive effect? i take badminton more seriously, and i like to play competitvely, so i don't want my table tennis have any negative effects. if so,i don't even want to play table tennis, as i said, i'll play JUST FOR FUN. i'm not g2 even try out for any teams, but maybe play at home or drop ins.

2. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i played badminton for some 6 years now, starting when i was small and just playing in the back yard :D . 2-3 years ago i also played some tennis, and last year i played table tennis. neither one has affected my game in any significant way. my mind kinda looks at the racket and "changes modes" within a few shots (or at most an hour or so) and i can play again :D . the techniques are totally different, so i don't worry too much. i dont play table tennis and tennis seriously enough to affect badminton anyway :)

3. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Well , I've played badminton for about seven months seriously and played it for fun when I was little . But since I have a ping pong table at home , I play it frequently . I don't think there are any side effects to it . Though I did found my table tennis skill improving as I learned from badminton to look at the open spots and hit it there . As far as I know , there are no negative effects playing both .

4. catman

catman Regular Member

Hi,
    I just started Badminton again - for fun, I also started playing table tennis seriously a couple of years ago. One thing - go and play table tennis at a club - it's a different game at clubs than in people's basement.

Table tennis helped my badminton and tennis because the movements in TT are very quick - it helped speed up my footwork. After playing table tennis - you feel as if you have much more time in other sports - so it helped.

Also as someone mentioned earlier - the strokes in both games are so different - it will not hurt your badminton game.

Good luck
    CM

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in badminton, there is a larger range of speed.
    a slice drop can be 4mph when it pass the net while a full smash can be 100mph+.

clearing give u more time to pace but try flat driving dual with your opponent, it can be almost as fast as TT

6. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    to my friend, it was VERY VERY beneficial.
    i taught him how to play badminton starting with when he asked me how to smash. he is now a defense/receive/drop player while i base my game purely on offense. the reason he is a VERY VERY good drop player is because of table tennis. honestly u can play drops with this guy and u'd get skooled no matter how much experience u woulda have XD (exaggeration).
    in table tennis, the motion of the arm is very important in some up-spin and down-spin shots. these help hide the drops that hes gonna make and it gives him additional response time. it also perfects the motion of his drops as it almost near goes above 5 cm above the net and cross-courts perfectly.

*conclusion*
    table tennis will help u on ur netshots

7. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    hmm ... for the speed thing , I've heard that badminton is the 2nd fastest sport . The first is table tennis . Is that true ?

8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I'd agree with you. But you know how F1 racing is always promoting itself as the 'fastest sport' on earth...